the forgotten books

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wodens_blade
D-Bee

the forgotten books

Unread post by wodens_blade »

i thought i would list a string of books that palladium had pending from way back-when and see who else rememebers them

Adventures in the microsphere: the heroes are shrunk and must contend with insects and dangers! ( honey i shrunk my super team)

Rifts Speed Tribes: timothy bradstreet art and writing, gangs of city rats, D-bees and mutants all hooked on speed and danger

Lopan Olympiad: this was supposed to be Palladium book VIII with wolfen and olympic styled games

In Search of the Old Ones: a book that was to meld heroes from two games smoothly into one giant epic adventure

Lazlo Agency: vampires, UFO's, and paranormal phenomena investigation for Heroes and Beyond

Old Kingdom Moutains & Lowlands: what ever happened to these?

The Nursery: the government and secret experiments

The UFO Conspiracy: alien abductions and the men in black for Beyond the Supernatural

Land of the South Winds: written by thomas bartold?

Rifts Lemuria: oceans and the mysteries of easter isl

Rifts Gods & Oni of Japan: japanese myth and legend

Rifts Omegan order: new west and coalition intrigue

Delphineous' Guide to the Universe: fantasy adventure with Herores Unlimited

Hardware Unlimited: you would think this book would be easy to make with all the avaiable hardware already existing within the games ( like Rifts GM Guide)

Dyval: i put this one on this list because i eagerly awaited the book for over a year! everyday day i lived at my comic book shop just waiting, so im hoping it doesnt end up like the rest of these titles

Mechanoids Space: im guessing this one is all gone too?

in closing if i might add something, why not print a SMALLER book with the ideas of the concepts that you do like? i mean i would rather own a 96 page Lazlo agency then have none at all because most of the material is unusable for a 200+book. a bite of food is better then no food at all!
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: the forgotten books

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Well Lemuria is currently being worked on, and by Dyval do you mean the Minion War series of books? The next one is being worked on if so.

Hardware was cancelled, and who knows when or if anymore Fantasy books will ever come out. Same deal with Mechanoid Space, who knows?

Don't know about Omegan order or the Rifts Japan book, but I guess those were a case of putting the cart before the horse. Can't imagine either of those coming anytime soon, if ever.

Never heard of Speed Tribe's or the microsphere titles.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Africa 2 was cancelled I thought as well.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

- Rifts Dragons & Gods was to pick up the stuff that the revised conversion book & Dark Conversion book left out, like all the dragons and spirits of light.
- BtS2 Beyond Arcanum would have made playing a sorcerer in a little more possible in Bts2. I think they should put Beyond Arcanum & Tome Grotesque together in one book cut out the unfinished stuff and get it out.
- For all of the canceled Rifts books I think palladium should do a Rifts Atlas with maps and a recaps of each part the world and use the dead book to round out the book. Use a few of the Japan's gods & demons, the Russian gods & Bio-borgs from the Rifter. There must be a lot of China 3 laying around and all the other back-burner stuff throw it in, sure it may have a somewhat scrambled feel to it that's OK the Rifter is like that too.
- The Minion Wars is so far behind and I find this hard to believe when Dyval was in the final stages in February.

Most of the books never get fully used anyways, only the good stuff is used by the masses and that's what I'm asking for. I rather have some of the material than see it go to waste.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Books I'd like to see:

Rifts: The Middle East. (I know we never will, but)

Rifts: California (Considering we have two sets of conflicting information here, it might be useful to actually detail this)

Rifts: The Dwarven Principalities. (Check your New West Map. I swear I'm not lying)

Rifts: Lemuria (I really would like to see this)

Rifts: India (While you could simply chop off a chunk of Splicers and stick it in there, I think that cheapens it considering that you're supposed to have tons of deities in the jungle and stuff)

Rifts: Antarctica

In general, though, with the exception of California and the principalities, I'd like the Palladium team to stay away from North America for a while.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Books I'd like to see:

The Nursery: make this a combined/crossover book with HU2 & AtB2. Update/bring back Doc Feral!

AtB2 Plains of Free Cattle: This book needs to be produced. Deatils about the Cattle tribes, why they despise humans so, & the few actual (slightly-mutated) retro-human tribes that they allow to exist there.

AtB2 Return of the Road Hogs: The update to the 'missing' vehicle rules (port them over from HU2), plus update the stats on the Road Hogs & the adventures from the original.

AtB2 Worldbooks(s): Reprint & update the 'Mutants of' series from AtB1.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

jhwrench wrote:Sure wish palladium could get some real management in there. I love their games especially Rifts & Nightbane, but their missing deadlines by years is unacceptable to me. Could it hurt to hire a few more dependable writers who will hit their deadlines. I find it hard to buy books when none are being released, no books no profit.

Do you realize everything Palladium went through the last couple of years?
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Balabanto wrote:Books I'd like to see:

Rifts: California (Considering we have two sets of conflicting information here, it might be useful to actually detail this)

Rifts: The Dwarven Principalities. (Check your New West Map. I swear I'm not lying)

Rifts: Lemuria (I really would like to see this)

Lemuria is being worked on.

The Dwarven what??

What two sets of conflicting info on CA?
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

There have been mentions in one of the books of the West Coast being a vast tropical jungle where strange aliens roam, and in another, there are maps of Indian Tribes all the way to the coast.

Which is it?
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

yeah its been 5 years since PF has seen any love.

IIRC, Lopan Olympiad was title changed to Phi + Lopan that would include all info on both islands and big info on the olympics.

AlSo (IIRC), the original manuscripts for Old Kingdoms (lowlands and highlands) was ment to be 2 books, 1 for highlands and 1 for lowlands. Last heard the manuscript was so big it could fill 3 books and needed "fat trimmed" to fit into the 2 books- unfortunatly it has yet to be edited down.

Land of the South Winds...I remember being said was being worked on by Thomas (and i swear a long time back Maryann as well- like a collaberation- not 100% on that tho).

Land of the Damned will sadly probably never see the light of day-at least not the original manuscript written by Bill (PF) Coffin. I here now declare that the real Land of the Damned is what we should refer PF as.

Wolven Wars was a love project by KS that caught by a side wipe that is RIFTS, such seems to be the unfortunate fate of PF books. I for one am kind of glad since I see personal no interest (at the moment) in Wolven Wars. I would like to see the world fleshed out before this book comes out.

Dyval I think is being released in the Minion War series. I think but not to sure on.

I do feel it is unfortunate that RIFTS books keep coming out when PF (the baby) was left behind a while ago. I dont really know what the idea behind this is, but to my understanding there are a good number of people here on the boards and around out there that are waiting for PF books so they can play. So possibility is that realeasing a PF book it will fly off the shelf and make money, but we will never know unless one gets released.
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Entiago wrote:I do feel it is unfortunate that RIFTS books keep coming out when PF (the baby) was left behind a while ago. I dont really know what the idea behind this is, but to my understanding there are a good number of people here on the boards and around out there that are waiting for PF books so they can play. So possibility is that realeasing a PF book it will fly off the shelf and make money, but we will never know unless one gets released.

With Palladium nearly going under I believe it was a decision to make/print the books that sell better. However you are likely right, after the CoT was announced I know a great many people, myself included, bought all kinds of Palladium books.

How many will actually use them, is likely another story completely.
Entiago
Adventurer

Unread post by Entiago »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Entiago wrote:I do feel it is unfortunate that RIFTS books keep coming out when PF (the baby) was left behind a while ago. I dont really know what the idea behind this is, but to my understanding there are a good number of people here on the boards and around out there that are waiting for PF books so they can play. So possibility is that realeasing a PF book it will fly off the shelf and make money, but we will never know unless one gets released.

With Palladium nearly going under I believe it was a decision to make/print the books that sell better. However you are likely right, after the CoT was announced I know a great many people, myself included, bought all kinds of Palladium books.

How many will actually use them, is likely another story completely.

I can say that I have used all of the books in one way or the other.

:)

lol- yeah mine help take up space on my shelf at the moment. And yes I picke dup what books i could/ interested in. Mostly that was some HU and NB..also another copy of the PF rule book-my 3rd copy of second edition...and I still have no gaming group...i call it preperation or dedication
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.
- the Book

another year come and gone without a PF release. :(
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

The radioactive dragon from the original Norther Wilderness book was suppossed to turn up again in a BTS supplement that was never published. Can't remember the name right now though.

The comic in WB5 was never continued.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Entiago wrote:yeah its been 5 years since PF has seen any love.

Hades is a sourcebook intended for use with PF.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Balabanto wrote:There have been mentions in one of the books of the West Coast being a vast tropical jungle where strange aliens roam, and in another, there are maps of Indian Tribes all the way to the coast.

Which is it?

Both. There isn't anything about vast tropical jungles that would prevent Indian tribes from living there. The strange aliens might co-exist with the native tribes, or there could be a war between them. Either way, the books don't necessarily contradict each other.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Danger wrote:
Entiago wrote:yeah its been 5 years since PF has seen any love.

Hades is a sourcebook intended for use with PF.

I agree 100% with that statement, but I want a book for the PF world not an associated dimension.

Hades rocked though!

:D

How about Palladium Fantasy: Conversion Book Flooper? :mrgreen:
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

gaaahhhh wrote:
Balabanto wrote:There have been mentions in one of the books of the West Coast being a vast tropical jungle where strange aliens roam, and in another, there are maps of Indian Tribes all the way to the coast.

Which is it?

Both. There isn't anything about vast tropical jungles that would prevent Indian tribes from living there. The strange aliens might co-exist with the native tribes, or there could be a war between them. Either way, the books don't necessarily contradict each other.

actually it can't be tropical jungle, since the climate of the area wouldn't allow it.

but an expanded temperate rainforest and Redwood forest would be interesting.

i wrote some stuff for the west coast, eventually i'll get back to writing it. expanded temperate rainforest and redwood forest, large fruit forests (the citris orchards gone wild), and in southern california it was grasslands. the place was overrun with odd animals, prehistoric mammals and birds, and had a bunch of small communities and kingdoms, other than the native american preserves.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

And keep in mind that the tropical jungle bit was never meant to be anything more than rumors and travelers' tales. A hook for the GM to latch on to if he or she so wished.

~ Josh
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Since there is shifting terrain in the magic zone, I don't see why a magical area of tropical climate couldn't exist on the West Coast.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

CS Special Forces wrote:Wasnt there also a Rifts -Scotland?

Yup, that was mentioned back in the day.

Never really knew much about it though.

~ Josh
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Rifts Ireland: with extensive drinking and bar brawl rules
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Rifts Ireland: with extensive drinking and bar brawl rules

:lol:

Think you can knock that one out after you're done with Triax 2?
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

very interesting thread - is someone up to the task to compile a list out of the postings? including system(s) the book was supposed for, where it was mentioned and when it should have been released (initially)?

also, I think this thread should be somewhere else (all things PB for instance) and not in the RIFTER-section of the board.
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Book and Pg. Number Please?
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Preacher wrote:

We solved that, he was thinking of a fan-site map.
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

The Beast wrote:
Preacher wrote:

We solved that, he was thinking of a fan-site map.

Ah, OK, Thanks.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Tricky
Wanderer

Unread post by Tricky »

Well, I always hold out hope for Mechinoids Space (in my dream PW campaign, the Mechanoids appear and cause many alliances to be formed. Imagine the reaction of the Rebels and Imperials from Star Wars if the Borg started attacking their territories.), since besides all the Alien intelligences that cause all sorts of misery the Mech's are the real bad@$$'s of the Multiverse.

One book that got my inner mutant chipmunk excited but never saw print (despite hints of it in Mutants in Orbit) was 'Super Mutant Animals'. Sure, we got rules for powers in AtB2 and a couple of rifters, but back then me and my friends were quite excited to play animals with powers!

On the same token is the Nursery; although I still think that they can (and should, imho) make this book. My dream set up would be to have two different ways to play it: one, an almost Xaiver's school like place where mutants are trained to use their powers; and another where cruel experiments make custom mutants, but lets just say this place is not a mutant day camp!

One book that I wondered how they could improve on the orginal was the Tribes of the Moon for NB: the orginal stuff in rifters 4-5 was sooo great, when I saw it listed as an up coming book i was like "Hell yeah!" and "Wait, I've got the best parts already...don't I?"

Some expansion of the new AtB world would be nice. And maybe some support for the older titles. And if someone could write a SF book that explains how the bugs know humanity, and what they think the people of Earth did to them, that would be great!

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”