New Spells I've created

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Amberjack
Explorer

New Spells I've created

Unread post by Amberjack »

High everyone these are some new spells that I came up with, at work the other day, and am interested in some feedback , good or bad. Hopefully good, the staff spells are something that would be useful for the stereotypical mage with a staff. I know that the Level, P.P.E. cost is more than likely off, so here you go.

Oh, the zero level spells, arre because I like the idea of using Cantrips.

Battle Staff
Level: Two
Range: Touch
Duration: 2 melee rounds / level
Damage: + 1D6 at level’s 1, 3, 6, 9, 12 , and 15.
Saving Throw: none
P.P.E.: 4

This spell empowers the ever present wizards staff, adding to its melee damage. The ‘Battle Staff ’ crackles with energy that does not harm the wielder, but adds damage to the staves attacks.

Mage Staff-Lesser
Level: One
Duration: 1 year per level wizard
P.P.E.: 25

This simple enchantment spell, doubles a staves normal S.D.C.™ and effectively extends the mages touch, allowing the wizard to cast spells with touch only range through the staff. The mage-Staff spell is also a prerequisite for casting other staff spells on a staff.

Mage Staff-Greater
Level: Seven
Duration: Permanent
P.P.E.: 150

This is a more powerful version of this spell, it effectively makes the staff unbreakable, adds an additional die of damage to combat staff spells, and the most powerful aspect, is that it becomes a minor P.P.E. reservoir . Able to store up to the Mages P.E. attribute times two plus 5 per level.

Arcane Darts
Range: 40 feet
Damage: 1D4
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Dodge of 18 or higher.
P.P.E.: 3

This spell creates two small darts/bolts of arcane energy (+ one per every three levels) that flash towards their target. The darts can be targeted at a single target, or multiple targets.

Sharpen
Level: three
Damage: +1 to +3 damage
Duration: 1 hour per level
P.P.E.: 10 per +1 damage bonus

This simple spell enhances the edge of any bladed weapon it is cast upon, giving it a razor sharpness that the best sharpening stone could not produce. A side benefit of this spell is that any blade so sharpened counts as magical and will affect those creatures not effected by normal weapons.

Staff Light
Range: touch
Duration: 30 minutes per level

This spell causes the upper tip of a mages staff to erupt in a bright blue-white flame, that gives of light equal to a good torch. This flame does not burn, and can not be used to start fires. If cast upon a staff already enhanced by the ‘Mage Staff ’ spell the duration is doubled (1hr/level) and can cast Blinding Flash instantly at the cost of instantly extinguishing the torch light spell.

Shape Staff – Lesser
Level: One
Saving Throw: None
P.P.E.: 4

This spell allows a wizard to reshape/mold a length of wood into a staff. The magic allows the wood to be bent and twisted to create some of the uniquely shaped staves some wizards are known for. It also allows the staff to be shaped around a stone or crystal head piece.
Tripling the P.P.E. cost will allow the spell to be cast on a living branch or sapling shaping it slowly so that it grows naturally into the shape desired, this doubles the staffs S.D.C.™ but takes much longer ( i.e. natural plant growth time)

Blade Staff
Level: Three
Damage: 2D6
Duration: One minute per level
Saving throw: None
P.P.E.: 5 or 10

This spell calls into being a blade of mystic energy, that extends from the end of the staff. This allows the staff to be used as a spear. Spending additional P.P.E. will create a blade on both ends of the staff, something some mages like to cast on their warrior Monk traveling companions.

Debug
Level : Zero
Range: 10 feet
Duration: permanent until reinfested.
P.P.E.: 1

This simple spell/cantrip is a boon to travelers forced to stay at less then stellar Inns. The spell basically will kill and/or repel insects from within a limited area, such as a bed, mattress, straw pallet.

Hearth Stone
Range: 5 feet
P.P.E.: 5

This spell cast upon a normal large stone ( less than 25 lbs.) , causes it to heat up, and give off heat equivalent to a fire without anything more than a dull red glow. The stone so heated can warm a space , cook a meal, anything a normal fire could be used for. Care must be taken in choosing the stone, as one with moisture pockets may explode. The strangely the stone turns black when the spell expires

Spinning Staff
Level: Four
Damage: Staff damage plus 2D6 (no P.S. Bonus)
Range: Touch / 10 feet
Duration: 2 melee rounds per level
Saving throw: none
P.P.E.: 10

The target staff is animated, causing it to leap from the casters hands and begin spinning like a buzz saw and floating about a foot off the ground in front of caster. The spinning staff can be slowly moved (maximum speed: 10) by mental command. The spinning staff will destroy or deflect Arrows, Crossbow bolts, and other physical missile weapons. The spinning staff can also be used as a weapon, it can be parried at -2, or dodged.
Also, note that this spell becomes devastating when combined with a staff already under the effects of the ‘Battle Staff’ spell. Becoming a spinning crackling disc of energy that also has a chance to deflect energy attacks.
Note: This spell is damaging to staff, normal staves will splinter and come apart at the end of the spell duration. However, spells enchanted with the ‘Mage Staff’ spell are not destroyed.

Scribe
Level: Zero
Duration: 10 minutes per level
P.P.E.: 2
This enchants a quill pen, to scribe/write down what ever is spoken by the caster or the target within range, this will only work if the caster has both pen,ink and paper, or some similar writing and recording paraphernalia .

Thunder Staff
Range: 20 foot radius directly, but can be heard up to mile away.
Duration: 1 month per level caster / instant
Saving Throw: Save vs. Horror Factor (H.F.: 8)
P.P.E.: 15

Causes the wizards staff to produce a booming clap of thunder each time it strikes an opponent, or is soundly struck against the ground. Penalties same as ‘Thunder Clap’ spell for first use of staff. Very good at intimidating low level opponents or getting everyone’s attention.

Rope Ladder
Level: Three
Duration: 1minute / level
Saving Throw: None

Cast on a normal rope, this spell creates a series of loops knotted into the rope that facilitate climbing. These loops do not affect the length of the rope. The loops provide a bonus of +15% to climbing or a base skill of 60%.
Last edited by Amberjack on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: New Spells I've created

Unread post by Natasha »

I'm a fan of scaling P.P.E. costs with power.

That can be handled in some different ways.

One way is that a wizard can pour more P.P.E. at level 1 to get more power. Such as with staffs that do +1D6 damage. 10 P.P.E./1D6 for example.

Another is that at level 3 when the staff picks up +1D6 damage, the P.P.E. costs jumps up. He can spend the base and not get the extra damage.
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

Well done. I like 'em :ok:
(Though I'd be tempted to ramp the damage on Battle Staff a little; maybe another d6 or two.)

Ø
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I like most of these; it's a nice little grimoire. However, some comments on specific spells:

Amberjack wrote:Mage Staff-Greater
Level: Seven
P.P.E.: 150

This is a more powerful version of this spell, it effectively makes the staff unbreakable, adds an additional die of damage to combat staff spells, and the most powerful aspect, is that it becomes a minor P.P.E. reservoir . Able to store up to the Mages P.E. attribute times two plus 5 per level.

This is a little on the cheap side for an unbreakable staff that is also a PPE reservior. Compare it with the Neco-Magic "Bone Staff", which makes a weapon nearly unbreakable (80 MDC/800 SDC) and constantly Turning Dead and holding vampire as bay. Or Bone Scepter, which is 50MDC/500SDC, and can cast 3 spells per day... one of which is 50 PPE.

A PPE battery is a very useful thing. A 7th level wizard with average PE (10) can store 55 PPE... that's better than a Talisman, which is a 13th level spell, costs 500 PPE +150 for the 50 PPE storage.

I'd severely pump the PPE cost, or cut the storage.

Arcane Darts
Range: 40 feet
Damage: 1D4
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Dodge of 18 or higher.

This spell creates two small darts/bolts of arcane energy (+ one per level) that flash towards their target. The darts can be targeted at a single target, or multiple targets.

Just a personal thing, but I prefer to give spells bonuses to hit, rather than flat dodge numbers. This would work out to a bonus of +8 to hit. Also, this spell is more powerful than Energy Bolt starting at 5th level; while Energy Bolt will still have range on it, the damage from this spell keeps getting better.

Sharpen
Level: three
Damage: +1 to +3 damage
Duration: 1hour per level

This simple spell enhances the edge of any bladed weapon it is cast upon, giving it a razor sharpness that the best sharpening stone could not produce. A side benefit of this spell is that any blade so sharpened counts as magical and will affect those creatures not effected by normal weapons.

What determines how big the bonus is? Why wouldn't someone always choose a +3 to damage?
Hearth Stone
Range: 5 feet
P.P.E.: 5

This spell cast upon a normal large stone ( less than 25 lbs.) , causes it to heat up, and give off heat equivalent to a fire without anything more than a dull red glow. The stone so heated can warm a space , cook a meal, anything a normal fire could be used for. Care must be taken in choosing the stone, as one with moisture pockets may explode. The stone crumbles to dust when the spell expires

I would get rid of the "crumbles to dust when the spell expires" aspect; there's a potential for abuse where PC decide to collapse a wall by turning a bunch of rocks into temporary heaters. While a low-level warlock can already do that by turning said rocks into mud, I don't think that aspect adds anything to the spell.

Spinning Staff
Level: Four
Damage: Staff damage plus 2D6 (no P.S. Bonus)
Range: Touch / 10 feet
Duration: 2 melee rounds per level
Saving throw: none / dodge 18 or higher

The target staff is animated, causing it to leap from the casters hands and begin spinning like a buzz saw and floating about a foot off the ground in front of caster. The spinning staff can be slowly moved (maximum speed: 10) by mental command. The spinning staff will destroy or deflect Arrows, Crossbow bolts, and other physical missile weapons. The spinning staff can also be used as a weapon, it cannot be parried, but can be dodged.
Also, note that this spell becomes devastating when combined with a staff already under the effects of the ‘Battle Staff’ spell. Becoming a spinning crackling disc of energy that also has a chance to deflect energy attacks.
Note: This spell is damaging to staff, normal staves will splinter and come apart at the end of the spell duration. However, spells enchanted with the ‘Mage Staff’ spell are not destroyed.

Why can't you parry it? If it's turning in a predictable manner, it seems that one could parry it.

Scribe
Level: Zero
Duration: 10 minutes per level
P.P.E.: 2
This enchants a quill pen, to scribe/write down what ever is spoken by the caster or the target within range, this will only work if the caster has both pen and paper, orr some similar writing and recording paraphernalia .

I would include "ink" in the things required; otherwise, this 2 PPE spell is the source of never-ending ink.

Thunder Staff
Range: 20 foot radius directly, but can be heard up to mile away.
Duration: 1 month per level caster / instant
Saving Throw: Save vs. Horror Factor (H.F.: 8)
P.P.E.: 15

Causes the wizards staff to produce a booming clap of thunder each time it strikes an opponent, or is soundly struck against the ground. Penalties same as ‘Thunder Clap’ spell for first use of staff. Very good at intimidating low level opponents or getting everyone’s attention.

I'm not entirely sure how this spell functions. Is it a single Thunder Clap spell held in abeyance, until the character decides to use it? Or does it happen each time the staff strikes an opponent?

As I said, I quite like the idea behind the spells, but these are just a few things that need touching up.

EDIT: Grammar
Last edited by Library Ogre on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Not bad but I have to agree with Mark on many issues.
Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

Hi all
Thanks for the input.
I have edited some of the spells as suggested, by mark. Removed the crumbles to dust from Hearth Stone, changed P.P.E. cost for sharpen to 10 per +1 damage bonus, added ink to requirement for scribe, removed the no parry from spinning staff, and changed the arcane darts to +1 dart every three levels.

The Mage Staff greater is still under renovation :)

More spells and Magic items to come soon.
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

How about some Rifts conversions?
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Very nice!! I like your spells! Thank you for sharing them with us.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”