"The Mechanoids" vs. 'The Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy"

This is where you can all discuss our favorite nemesis ... The Mechanoids®, Enjoy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Big Red
Rifter® Contributer

"The Mechanoids" vs. 'The Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy"

Unread post by Big Red »

I used to have the 1985 book, but sold it off (including one of the original comics) during college. I have the Trilogy, and just picked up the Caliber comics (unfortunately). I was wondering if anyone knew if there was anything in the 1985 game that was left out of the Trilogy. I didn't think there were any big difference, but was curious to know if there was anything worthwhile that might not have been reprinted.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Re: "The Mechanoids" vs. 'The Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy"

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

I believe they were published as is. Not 100% sure though.
:fool:
Big Red
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Big Red »

Prodigal wrote:the Trilogy Book collected the original three (Invasion, Journey and Homeworld) books, with a bunch of typos and setting mistakes fixed, KS also added some Authors notes.

"The Mechaonids" was a Revised and Expanded "Mechaonids Invasion"

Any idea just what might have been added. It's been 16-18 years since I owned it, and never did compare it with the original.
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

Is it possible to find the original comics anymore? 8-)
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Mechanoids #1
Mechanoids #2
I don't see Mechanoids #3 anywhere.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

BookWyrm wrote:Mechanoids #1
Mechanoids #2
Uh, I am pretty sure the Calibur editions are not the originals.
:fool:
Big Red
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Big Red »

I've managed to complete a good deal of my Mechanoids collection since starting this thread several months ago. The Mechanoid Invasion was the original comic-book sized book that came out in 1981. It was followed by The Mechanoid Invasion Book 2: The Journey and The Mechanoid Invasion Book 3: Homeworld, both of which came out in 1982. Between then and 1985, a magazine called Game Merchant apparently had a feature called the Monthly Mechanoid, or something along those lines, which featured additional optional material for the game. I don't know how many issues featured this, or really anything else about it, as I haven't been able to find even a single issue of Game Merchant for sale (although I've only been looking for the last month or so). In 1985, the first three books, along with the material from Game Merchant, were collected into The Mechanoids (I don't how much material was cut, if any, although the first three books had a combined page count of about 200 pages (smaller pages, however), and there was a good deal of material added in from Game Merchant, yet the total page count for The Mechanoids was only 150 pages). This was basically the original game, but I believe differed in that it had physical S.D.C. for the characters (I don't have the book within arms reach and don't want to climb over a bunch of stuff to get it). Sometime after this, Palladium and Caliber Comics collaborated on The Mechanoids comic books (they're up in my son's room, and I don't know the date off the top of my head). While 5 issues were planned, only 3 were released. These featured a full-length comic book, plus game material at the back of each book, essentially reprinting The Mechanoid Invasion, although it may have been updated with M.D.C. stats. In 1992, Rifts Sourcebook 2: The Mechanoids was released. This featured M.D.C. stats, and new forms for a lot of the old Mechanoids, and was to be a precursor to Mechanoids Space, IIRC. In 1998, the three original books were collected and released as The Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy. This was updated with S.D.C. stats (I don't believe it had M.D.C.), but left out the additional material from Game Merchant that had found its way into The Mechanoids.
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

Mechanoids #2

thanks man 8-)
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Why not just reprint the "lost" info from the magazine into a special article in The Rifter? Or download it from 'The Cuttting Room Floor" section on the main page?
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

bradshaw wrote:
Mechanoids #2

thanks man 8-)

I had bought the original #1 way back when it came out, but was never able to complete the set. Then Palladium started the grab bags :D Now I have all of them and the original Mechanoid trilogy!!!

Carl
ImageImage
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

What new material was added by the Game Merchant edition?
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I'd like to hear that too! I managed to pick up the comics and the original three game books after they were out for several years. There were certain things missing from the complete larger scale book which waas supposed to be compiled from the other books. It was small things, nothing major.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I'd like to hear that too! I managed to pick up the comics and the original three game books after they were out for several years. There were certain things missing from the complete larger scale book which waas supposed to be compiled from the other books. It was small things, nothing major.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I just finished reading The Mechanoids. Great book, deeply enhanced from the original and I am surprised they did not follow it up with supplements and create a game line from it. After only having the Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy, it was interesting to compare to the original book.

Overall, the book combines Invasion with the Invasion stuff in Journey. The system goes through a 1.0 to 1.1 upgrade with alterations to the OCCs and Psionics. More interesting are the sections about Gideon-E and the return of Colonel Gideon.

Erick Wujick wrote short 5 adventures and two of them are quite good...and by "good", I mean hideously evil if the players aren't sharp.
Aramanthus
Monk

I see we are still waiting for that info on the Merchant edition.

HH....FIE
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

With all the alterations and bug fixes, magic is still fueled by ISP, and I love it.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “The Mechanoids®”