New Technical skill

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Good bad or who really cares

Good I will use it in my games
60%
not bad but I just don't want more skills
No votes
neutral I like sitting on the fence
20%
the premise is good but i'll rework it
20%
hate is just another useless skill
No votes
the skills dumb but i like the story
No votes

Total votes: 15

dragon_blaze_99
Hero

New Technical skill

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

“A moment before the Lady Ilise stepped over the stone threshold into Lord Sandrion’s manse, symbolically finalizing their betrothal, a small figure darted out from the courtyard’s shadows. The child curtsied, coltishly charming, and proffered a linen bound handful of crushed, grain filled bread.

In struggling accented Ylasic she held out her offering and carefully said, “My Mistress offers you the Bread of Peace and the Salt of Wisdom; that in the holdings of Lord Sandrion you find welcome, health and joy.” After a surprised glance downward, Lady Ilise clasped the tiny bundle and smilingly rejoined, “My thanks for the kindness of this house, and the future gifts of longevity and children that your offering brings.”

Advisors from the Lady’s homeland looked on in amusement as the Lord’s Chancellor hurriedly whispered, and their new Lord struggled to dispel his flush of anger; the relayed information that this inappropriate disturbance was actually a significant custom from his new bride’s country.

The child curtsied once more and scampered away to sit at the feet of her Mistress. Hopeful parents of Lord Sandrion’s court gracefully gritted their teeth, as the realization that despite purchase of the finest gowns and radiant gems to dazzle the Lady’s retinue, the first move of this year’s Season of Courtship was completed. All eyes were on Mistress Karrin as the Lady Ilise joined the Court…”

Courtly Protocol:

This skill combines multiple abilities to thrive at one’s own Royal or Foreign court. It insures that one gives no insult that is not intended, makes no political missteps, provides an innate understanding of appropriate behavior, and knowledge of which road is the “higher one”.

It is the ability to blend seamlessly into a new court, to utilize past (and sometime obscure) traditions, gain knowledge of family histories and use this knowledge to sway or destroy social adversaries.

Powerful families have colourful histories; this skill enables one to access the backgrounds of Nobles and Royals. How they rose to power (martial strength, backstabbing, muck slinging, treason, purchasing a title etc.) and have since maintained it.

This is a technical skill: 35 + 5%/lvl. on time skill bonus of +1% for every MA point over 20 and +1% of every 2 points of PB over 17

In reality women need something to do for months on end when their husbands waged war and carefully destroying each other and the mistresses of their husbands was it.
Last edited by dragon_blaze_99 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Re: New Technical skill

comments are welcomed good or bad its the only way we learn
Amberjack
Explorer

Unread post by Amberjack »

I like it. I have always thought that Nobles need some sort of etiquette type skill, and this seems to fit nicely, as it also covers the Games of Court. Well done.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I like it also. I would simplify it, though, and just call it protocol or ettiquette. It gives the character an understanding of most customs. If he or she is in some court or location for the first time, the skill percentage would determine the chance of avoiding a faux pas.

-Vek
"or call it Being a Fop."
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

thanks guys anyone
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I went with good premise.

Sometimes this is in the realm of role playing, not skill checks.

But I'm not sure how to draw a line between those situations at this time and be fair about it. So I'd be not inclined to use it as a skill to roll against.

I also think 25% might be too low starting; that's a lot of fumbling for a few levels.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Natasha wrote:I went with good premise.

Sometimes this is in the realm of role playing, not skill checks.

But I'm not sure how to draw a line between those situations at this time and be fair about it. So I'd be not inclined to use it as a skill to roll against.

I also think 25% might be too low starting; that's a lot of fumbling for a few levels.

I know how you feel it should be a role playing not roll playing thing but as the story shows it like a courtly intelligence type thing as well.

the skill bonus is low but I I give nobles this over military etiquette with a +15, and most other classes that you take it would have a bonus to technical skills, like knights, palladins, and most actor types.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Mm yes. Perhaps, I am giving it too much scope...
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

also sometimes its nice to give a player a roll to help them find the right direction for there role playing of a situation, it can be used to guide them through the court proceedings but its still up to the player to use what they have discovered, or sometimes use what they learnt to do the opposites :eek:
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Bonuses from M.A. & P.B. should be added in. If your charming insults can be taken as a joke and if your beautiful it can be taken as narcissism.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

yeah if someone wanted I'd make it the same bonuses as seduction
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

It's a good idea, but I think it needs work. As some of us know, I'm something of a skill freak. I'll add it to my list of re-writes, and add some of my own flare to it. But the idea is excellent and you'll get credit for it in my write-up. This was good thinking man. Keep it up!
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

that fine with me Northern Ranger
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

edited skill after a few tests during play.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I voted for the first choice. I like it from an RPing stand point. IOt makes certain things more fun.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”