The Vindicator

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Vindicator

Unread post by AdmTolval »

The Vindicator

It wasn't the fastest.
It wasn't the most heavily armored.
It wasn't the most armed.

It was the biggest.
And it was my first Veritech.

I just got the new book today and saw it is no longer in the game.
I will miss it.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

The Vindicator is the (new) Nickname of the Shadow Alpha....
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

mechanimorph wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:The Vindicator is the (new) Nickname of the Shadow Alpha....

Is the Shadow Alpha that big though?

not anymore, but i think its HG's Tribute to the old Mecha from the RPG.
which was based off an out of scale Shadow fighter... :)
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto
Elthbert
Hero

Unread post by Elthbert »

Zerebus wrote:The Vindicator shall live on in our hearts and minds. Consider the new Shadow Fighter to be its honored successor.

Butthere used to be both shadow fighters and vindicators. I too miss the Vindicator.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Why can't there be a few of them hidden somewhere on the planet. You know like the original Alphas and beta from the Invid Invasion.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

:D I loved the Vindicator! That was my first mecha also! In fact, we also used the version from: http://www.robotechresearch.com/! I'm going to use it still![/url]
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

Arnie100 wrote::D I loved the Vindicator! That was my first mecha also! In fact, we also used the version from: http://www.robotechresearch.com/! I'm going to use it still![/url]

VF-6V Vindicator (misidentified from VFA-6X Shadow Alpha) in the ol' RT RPG is described as heavy assault armored Alpha variant.

There's no reason to chalk the Vindicator idea off your new RTSC based campaign.

Just reimagined the said mecha as VFA-6V Vindicator Heavy Assault Alpha, using the unused pre-production Alpha variant art from MOPSEADA OSM.

Image reference:

Battloid Mode:
http://www.robotechresearch.com/rpg/mecha/ref/veritech/vaf-x-10/vaf_x_10_modified.GIF

Fighter Mode (designed by RT:TIW guys):
http://www.robotechresearch.com/rpg/mecha/ref/veritech/vaf-x-10/vf.gif
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Yep...all that space on the bigger frame meant the sort of modifiability lacking in the smaller Alphas...

Never fear, the Vindicator will be flying in the hearts and minds of the proud pilots who had the rare privilege of flying the big gawks(anybody for a future version of the Confederate Air Force, dedicated to keeping old Veritechs and one-offs flying?) :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

:D I'm In! Put me in for one of the rare VF-4 prototypes!
taalismn
Priest

Zerebus wrote:
Protoculture wrote:Just reimagined the said mecha as VFA-6V Vindicator Heavy Assault Alpha, using the unused pre-production Alpha variant art from MOPSEADA OSM.

Image reference:

Battloid Mode:
http://www.robotechresearch.com/rpg/mecha/ref/veritech/vaf-x-10/vaf_x_10_modified.GIF

Holy cripes!

I want one. :D

Get in line and prepare to bid high.. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

I went an idea inspired from Robotech research

The Vindicator is an oversize Alpha, much like the F/A-18E/F/G is a larger version fo the original F/A-18A/B/C/D. It was built to accommodate the first shadow devices which were too big to put on a standard Alpha. They were also placed in the remaining few VF-4's that the REF still had in service/pulled from mothballs.

Vindicators, and VF-4's were part of the 21st Mars Division, quite a few made it to ground due to the fact they had shadow devices.

The Shadow Fighter's we see at the end of New Gen and SC are normal sized Alpha's. Basicly the REF managed to size down the Shadow device, and no longer had a use for the oversized Vindicator Alpha variant.

None of this is is canon, but I don't give a rip, when I'm the GM it’s my game and I run it the way I like (this is any GM”s prerogative BTW). Besides I've been pretty successful with my PBP games on rpol.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm sure there is enough of them for those of us interested in them! :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

Two of my players will agree with you wholeheartedly. They haven't seen the new book yet, so I haven't had the heart to tell them that the Vindicator doesn't exist anymore for the official game. The three that still exist in my crossover campaign will be the last of their breed, along with the chest missile armed VR-052s that they have (now back-modeled to be the VR-051). However, just like the VR-051s, once the players lose them, they are gone forever.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
taalismn
Priest

Re: The Vindicator

ARGH!!
Seen the latest update?
The ShadowChronicles sourcebook doesn't even APPEAR! I gotta wait another year or more to get my UEEF starships, new Alphas, and Horizon-Vs? Or will that be in the hardcover 'big format' rules book?!
Not quite ready to implode, but a little miffed...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I saw the latest update. I'm still hoping they'll surprise us with something. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.

HH....FIE
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

taalismn wrote:ARGH!!
Seen the latest update?
The ShadowChronicles sourcebook doesn't even APPEAR! I gotta wait another year or more to get my UEEF starships, new Alphas, and Horizon-Vs? Or will that be in the hardcover 'big format' rules book?!
Not quite ready to implode, but a little miffed...

They have been pretty up front with us on the fact that they wanted to do the Era books first.

It also makes a bit more sense to me, as if you were going to do a Shadow Chronicle Sourcebook, you would want to get as much information about the next movie in there. Get HG and Tommy Yune plenty of time to compile their notes and what not, pick through their pre-production sketches and stuff. Give us the meat that we want, without it being retconned by the new movie.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Robotech_Master wrote:The Vindicator never really existed in the show anyway. It was the result of a mixup, misidentifying unmanned drones as Shadow Fighters and misjudging the size of Shadow Fighter battloids in comparison to visual cues so misidentifying an ordinary Shadow Alpha as a "Vindicator."

actually it wasn't 'misidentified', there were larger alpha's present in the footage. but they were animator mistakes, not intended to be any different size from the other alpha's.

in the animation there are a few scenes where it's pretty obvious the alpha's are bigger than usual. one has cyclone riders showing up too small in comparison, the other has one rammed by a shock trooper, where the shock trooper (consistantly the same rough size as an alpha) is about half the size of the alpha.

these fall under the same catagory as scotts ability to fire 32 missiles from his shoulder bins in fighter mode, or the lack of thruster wash when taking off sometimes, or scotts "superman" jump to enter the suspended alpha in the episode where the band comes together.

palladium did misidentify the drone shadow fighters for manned shadows though.

HG has decreed that the vindicator did not exist inthe show. now, if palladium gets the OK to add it's own designs, you might see a revised vindicator with all new back story shopw up (i like the comparison to the "Super Hornet" myself..), but it didn't appear in the show by canon.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Agreed...the Vindicator will continue to be an old favorite trotted out in games when the Anime Purists aren't watching... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

taalismn wrote:Agreed...the Vindicator will continue to be an old favorite trotted out in games when the Anime Purists aren't watching... :D

We are always watching! :quiet:
taalismn
Priest

Tiree wrote:
taalismn wrote:Agreed...the Vindicator will continue to be an old favorite trotted out in games when the Anime Purists aren't watching... :D

We are always watching! :quiet:

"Objecting Purists Will Be Sacked"
Shot of RPGers gathered for a night of furious playing..
Player 1: "Great, my 8th level VT PIlot warms up his beloved and battlescarred Vindicator..."
Player2: "You can't have a Vindicator! It's a misinterpreted Shadow Fighter! It doesn't exist! It's Palla---"
(Shot of bound and bagged objector getting tossed into dumpster behind apartment building...) :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I know none of my player will argue about it existing in the game. We'll just say it came from an alternate universe! I guess SC is the one age that didn't really get any support so now it'll have it's first supplement! That is cool!

HH....FIE
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

I still like Vindicators being the veritech's the UEEF left Earth with (thinking they were going to be fighting Zentraedi), and the miniaturized Alpha's are what they came back with, after having to fight the Masters & Invid.
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
taalismn
Priest

WHATEVER works to keep your Vindicators flying... :-D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

mechanimorph wrote:
Novastar wrote:I still like Vindicators being the veritech's the UEEF left Earth with (thinking they were going to be fighting Zentraedi), and the miniaturized Alpha's are what they came back with, after having to fight the Masters & Invid.

We could call it the VF-7! ......no wait :P

Is something akin to that going to show up among the mecha of the Pirates of the Southern Cross? That looks like a fun project with some potential... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

I'm kinda fond of the Southern Cross for a number of reasons...The armor has shown up on a number of Cyberknights...and in the SuperDimensional Southern Cross/Evangelion threat, they're emerging as a power with troops ready for just about ANY environment...
Plus, 15 armies makes for great interservice rivalry bar-fights... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

"We got a trooper for every climate under the sun...Reynolds in the HCOS for the tropics, Dwight in the DS if we decide to hit Mexico City on a lark, Gonzalez in the TC for just about anyplace else, Sir Johns in the MOS if we go raiding mountain temples, Henderson in the Sea Squad complains he does all the work when we're ocean-bound, and Nanuk keeps to the galley freezer until we decide to sail the Arctic Ocean and maybe raid Santa's workshop!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually it wasn't 'misidentified', there were larger alpha's present in the footage. but they were animator mistakes, not intended to be any different size from the other alpha's.

Actually, no there weren't. The Alpha in question is the same size as the normal Alpha. Ken Olson got the width of the Invid Shocktrooper wrong by a full meter. Thats how you ended up with an Alpha that was offscale.

these fall under the same catagory as scotts ability to fire 32 missiles from his shoulder bins in fighter mode

You'll have to refresh my memory as to which episode this occurs in.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:
these fall under the same catagory as scotts ability to fire 32 missiles from his shoulder bins in fighter mode

You'll have to refresh my memory as to which episode this occurs in.

multiple.

i guess i should have been more specific, instead of using an injoke. i'm referring to Scotts ability to fire the same 8 missiles from his shoulder launchers in fighter mode two to three times in a single engagement. this has been the source of joking explanations within my cucle of friends that his alpha is special with double layers of missiles in dimensional pockets.

it is in fact, repeated use of the same peice of stock footage. :)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

whipped4073 wrote:
mechanimorph wrote:
ArmySyko wrote:"Invid?! I'm not going anywhere near Invid Territory? That Regis, she ain't right." -- Jayne

She's got purty daughters

"I'm in" - Jayne

"Oh, & by the way, Captain... that's the last time you'll call me an Invid." -- Inara

Another use for Shadow Devices? Sneaking into Invid Hives to meet your Invid lover without the Den MOther finding out? :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

This has been a very interesting conversation so far! I* have a question based on the last statement. What about nose art? What do people think of it? I know the modern military seems to frown on it. What about all of you? How do you think the UEEF forces would view it? At one time it was a very common thing. I'd like to hear what all of you think of it.

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i'd allow it, just because players should be allowed to have freedom of expression in an RPG, even when playing military campaigns. like wise i'd encourage players to come up with callsigns. (for most accurate results, have the other PC's name the character, like in reality.)

there would be limits though. no painting your Alpha black with a flames off all the leading edges for example. adding a shark mouth to the nose or a small characiture to the intake housing, sure. (provided it makes sense. a fighter pilot with the callsign 'taz' for example would proboably be ok painting a picture of the cartoon character infront of the cockpit. the same character wanting to paint a tiger would be silly, unless the squadron or unit has a name or theme that involved tigers in some way, at which point it would probably make more sense that the tiger be on the unit badge on the tails)
if the charcters have named their mecha, and want ot have a bit of nose art ot match the name, i'd allow it. same deal as above. would need to make sense given the reason.

basically, if it makes sense, i'd allow it. if it's just players wanting to put random things on their planes, probably not.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

I take a path from Pappy Boyington's memoir...
Everytime the plane comes up for re-painting (general maintenance, or because a higher-ranked officer disliked the nose art), he'd climb his plane and another, and switch the serial numbers.
That way, the other plane got re-painted. :lol:
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

since the paint on Scott's Alpha wasn't effected at all, and Rick's Valkyrie didn't have even a discolored spot after getting hit by missiles and then re-entering, i'd say whatever paint the earth forces use, it's able to resist the heat of reentry rather well.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Aramanthus
Monk

The paint could be titanium dioxide based. The paint would have a higher temperature before it became destroyed.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Hmmm...I've seen a few examples of nose and main body art, usually in relation to hobbyist model work for Macross, but haven't seen anything comparable for MOSPEADA/New Genration, aside from the fleet insignia and uber-detailing some modellers pile on...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Yeah, but the nose art could still appear on the UEEF vehicles during the new war with the Haydonites.

HH....FIE
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

Perhaps the paint is based on technology garnered from the alien technology in the SDF-1 just like the armor used on mecha and the Robotechnology itself?
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
taalismn
Priest

Beatmeclever wrote:Perhaps the paint is based on technology garnered from the alien technology in the SDF-1 just like the armor used on mecha and the Robotechnology itself?

"Behold the Power and Beauty of CHROMATECHNOLOGY"!?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Arnie100
Knight

taalismn wrote:
Beatmeclever wrote:Perhaps the paint is based on technology garnered from the alien technology in the SDF-1 just like the armor used on mecha and the Robotechnology itself?

:lol: The paint that lasts forever, never gets a scratch, ALWAYS looks shined, and can withstand anything, even Minmei's singing (maybe)!!
They can't see me...Right!?
taalismn
Priest

Arnie100 wrote:
taalismn wrote:

:lol: The paint that lasts forever, never gets a scratch, ALWAYS looks shined, and can withstand anything, even Minmei's singing (maybe)!!

The Only Brush-On Paint Qualified to Survive a Reflex Blast!
Mind you, only the painted letters will survive. Whatever they're painted on will be vapor....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Protoculture

Unread post by Protoculture »

Hmmm...I've seen a few examples of nose and main body art, usually in relation to hobbyist model work for Macross, but haven't seen anything comparable for MOSPEADA/New Genration,

If my memory served me correctly, there exists somewhere in Mospeada OSM that show several design emblems for the Legioss (aka Alpha) that, ironically also featured a 'Minmay with a dragon'.

Some gifted member on Macrossworld makes a kick-arse, super realistic Minmay model of the said art.
taalismn
Priest

Protoculture wrote:
Hmmm...I've seen a few examples of nose and main body art, usually in relation to hobbyist model work for Macross, but haven't seen anything comparable for MOSPEADA/New Genration,

If my memory served me correctly, there exists somewhere in Mospeada OSM that show several design emblems for the Legioss (aka Alpha) that, ironically also featured a 'Minmay with a dragon'.

Some gifted member on Macrossworld makes a kick-arse, super realistic Minmay model of the said art.

Gotta see that...Post links if you can find the stuff again...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I really even think the veritech's armor can't truly protect them against the destructive nature of Minmei's voice. (At least the english version.)

HH....FIE

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”