Chernobyl

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Chernobyl

Unread post by Tags »

So has Chernobyl ever been mentioned in any of the books... I've always been facinated by it, and things like "The Hills have Eyes", and of course Fallout.
If anything remain it could make for an interesting setting.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Jbot75 wrote:Maybe it has some mutant hybrid animals, like the Chimpanzeebra, or the mighty Kangarooster.

highly unlikely, as Chernobyl is in russia. :)

this is a great site detailing what the place is like right now.

of course, if you want to get into etymology, there already is a Chernobyl gamebook. Dimension book 1. :)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Jbot75 wrote:Not sure if Chernobyl's been used as a game setting, but there's potential, sure.

Maybe it has some mutant hybrid animals, like the Chimpanzeebra, or the mighty Kangarooster.

:shock:

Anyway... I recently read tyeh novels... and there is mention of prerifts structures surviving. So I would thinks theres a good chance that many of teh structures survived. I dunno bout mutant animals...
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Re: Chernobyl

Unread post by Warwolf »

Tags wrote:So has Chernobyl ever been mentioned in any of the books... I've always been facinated by it, and things like "The Hills have Eyes", and of course Fallout.
If anything remain it could make for an interesting setting.

Not yet... but it's funny you should bring it up. It is mentioned in a small blurb in what I'm currently writing. That's all the more I'll say though. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

small blurb... ? ;>
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I've seen that website in the last 6 to 9 months. It's a very cool site! It was a very strange and interesting to see pics of the site from her perspective.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Aramanthus wrote:I've seen that website in the last 6 to 9 months. It's a very cool site! It was a very strange and interesting to see pics of the site from her perspective.

have to check that out in the morning.
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Well I think I have an interesting pre-rifts history gathered.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Aramanthus
Monk

Yeah it's really hard to pluck a chernobyl chicken. Especially if it is still alive! :-D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Well of course, they realy fight back. ;> Ok just posting this for now to get some opinions.
Last edited by Tags on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a very cool write up! I like how you included the cesium poisoning that occured because of the melt down there. Unforntunately it shows the poor quality of that particular reactor design. I'm glad we did away with the graphite medium reactors back in the late 1930's and early 40's.

HH....FIE
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Well next step is post rifts... I thionk that should set the stage well. Off hand to any of the warlords have any claim on the Ukraine?

H. P. Lovecraft
The Raven
Explorer

Unread post by The Raven »

Tags wrote:Well next step is post rifts... I thionk that should set the stage well. Off hand to any of the warlords have any claim on the Ukraine?

Don't take this wrong, but trying to write something without the relevant books is asking for trouble. And Chernobyl would just be another dead zone in the area. Warlords of Russia pretty much says there are scattered nuke zones across the whole area.

So kindly buy the books and don't expect everyone else to do your in-game research for you.
"Women and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it."
-- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long

Carl Gleba wrote:Well said Raven :ok:
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

The Raven wrote:Don't take this wrong, but trying to write something without the relevant books is asking for trouble. And Chernobyl would just be another dead zone in the area. Warlords of Russia pretty much says there are scattered nuke zones across the whole area.

So kindly buy the books and don't expect everyone else to do your in-game research for you.

:rolleyes: Such a rude responce for a simple question... Not that you need to know however I have all the rifts books.

Now unless you have somthing relevent say...

H. P. Lovecraft
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Anyway Walords of russia simply states that the Ukrain is claimed by the warlords but nothing else, so does anyone one warlord hold it?

H. P. Lovecraft
Aramanthus
Monk

Just think of the mutant monsters you can create for that area of the world! Even now they are saying that they are going to have to recover the core of that reactor again because its slowing working its way thru the mass of concrete they poured over it.

HH....FIE
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

I figure there can be numerous beasts, that have been mutated... And since the Ukrain i so eager to be free some petty warlord attempts to rebuild the plant to power the near by base, however he falls prey to something and the rebuilt reactor slows melts down releasing even more radiation. ;>

H. P. Lovecraft
Aramanthus
Monk

Maybe there could be a nexus over the site.

HH....FIE
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tags »

Mephisto wrote:It could also be that because so much death was caused there, that it isn't even in our dimension at all, and otherdimensional "out of time things" exist there, so any attempts to repair or modify the site will fail and will cause the reactor to revert to the 1986 meltdown state.

Yea, that coold be pretty interesting..

H. P. Lovecraft
DocS
Adventurer

Unread post by DocS »

The Raven wrote:
Tags wrote:Well next step is post rifts... I thionk that should set the stage well. Off hand to any of the warlords have any claim on the Ukraine?

Don't take this wrong, but trying to write something without the relevant books is asking for trouble. And Chernobyl would just be another dead zone in the area. Warlords of Russia pretty much says there are scattered nuke zones across the whole area.

And where's the fun in that!?

I did buy the russia book, and my biggest beef was that the authors didn't spend enough time playing with what Russia is and how it could change. Two russia books, and only about twelve useful ideas between them.

Doesn't mention Chernobyl!? Doesn't do anything interesting with Tunguska!?

Rifts has always had a terrible time doing anything interesting with nukes/radiation etc. Which is an unfortunate shortcoming for a post-nuclear holocaust game where PC's can literally wear reactors on their backs.
Aramanthus
Monk

So I say have fun! Write something about about it and submit it! It'll be a great addition!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

No, that is true about them having to recover the core of the reactor,. It's still active under all of that concrete. That is the problem with using graphite a medium. Especially when you have to cool something down. We lucked out with three mile island that we managed to get it under some control to prevent a complete melt down.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an AWESOME suggestion! I forgot about that one! :oops:

HH....FIE

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”