Starship designs...

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

As soon as the bandwidth settles down....In the meantime, I'll try to see if I can't hunt up the link again to your 'Spider-SDF' super-bot :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

The trooper must be using the equivalent to the 3G's hang glider. So that guy could be a special forces. Although maybe you should should do a version where the trooper and the CG device are shades of grey. You could always make it and the armor of the trooper capable of changing colors like a chameleon.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

If that's a Dampier-varient the Trooper's hanging from, that's one BIG robot! Johnny Sako and Giant-Robo! :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

For peer review.....

WZ-ESS-2235 Piecemeal Exploratory and Surveillance Ship
Despite its shabby-sounding name, the WZ ‘Piecemeal’ is being recognized as one of the, if not THE, best research vessels currently commercially available on the galactic market. If an organization planning anything more extensive, they’re advised to get themselves a CCW Explorer-class cruiser.
The Piecemeal, as befits its name, looks like it was put together by committee from a scrap-box of bits and pieces of other vessels and aerospace constructs---and knowing WZTechYards, that’s EXACTLY how it was put together. The ship has a generally spindle-shaped hull of multiple hull components, structural stringers, plug-ports, and sensor clusters, with a propulsion bell on one end, and a large wedge-shaped streamlined forward fuselage at the other end. The midsection is ringed by a wide gleaming hab-ring of adamantine-tough J!ng crystal, that rotates to generate artificial gravity. In an emergency, the entire habitat ring can be detached to serve as a lifeboat.
One of the Piecemeal’s great strengths is its ability to be modified very easily...the central hull mounts numerous system trunks and attachment points for additional external sensors, auxiliary craft divits, probe racks, satellite launchers, sample biostasis pods, cargo modules, and automated lab canisters. Sensor systems are designed to be easily swapped out, reconfigured, modified, and upgraded with minimal hassle, so the same ship can serve a variety of exploratory mission scenarios. Likewise, the computer systems can be reconfigured to meet the needs of the buyer/operator(some users insist on multiple redundancy data-backups for all data acquired, while others have ordered systems with elaborate ‘suicide’ systems to prevent sensitive data from falling into the wrong hands).
Though not intended for combat, the Piecemeal does come with several point defense lasers and rail guns as standard, in the event the ship runs into pirates or hostile alien lifeforms. If the ship is expected to be operating in very dangerous environs, the ship can be fitted with heavier weaponry(including swapping out the cargo modules for a heavy weapons station, and/or carrying fighters and power armor). Of course, scientists and engineers have been known to jury-rig some quite effective weaponry from innocuous research instruments in a desperate situation(such as the infamous tale of how the crew of researh vessel TVSASS Box-Shaker triggered a dark matter nebula into a short-lived protostar in order to beat off a Dark Coven pirate squadron...).
All that capability doesn’t come cheap; the Piecemeal isn’t a rag-doll acquisition for buyers with shoestring budgets. However, those institutions that have bought Piecemeals claim that a single ship can do the work of a half dozen less-well equipped astro-survey ships in half the time. Of course, NOTHING is going to beat the discovery potential of having a few thousand student-intern fieldhands going over a region with toothbrushes, but the Piecemeal does make the job a little easier.
Type:WZ-ESS-2235 Piecemeal
Class:Exploratory and Surveillance Ship
Crew: 25 minimum. plus 1-211 additional passengers/research staff
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 5,000
Bridge/Heavy Shuttle Section 2,000
Auxiliary Bridge 2,000
Habitat Ring 25,000*
Sensor Arrays (1-8) 100 each
Heavy Cargo Modules(1-4) 1,500 each
Engines 2,300
Point Defense Lasers(6) 150 each
Point Defense Rail Guns(2) 180 each
Variable Forcefield (12,000 total , 2,000 per side)

*Being composed of J!Ng crystal, the habitat ring takes HALF damage from lasers.
Height: 345 ft (115 m)
Width: 337.5 ft (112 m)
Length: 750 ft (250 m)
Weight: 15,000 tons
Cargo: 2,000 tons, in addition to possible cargo modules.
Powerplant:Lucerin-fueled Fusion Nuclear w/ 55 year energy life.
Supplemental solar power cells(primarily mounted along the rim of the habitat ring).
Speed:
(Atmosphere) Not possible
(Sublight) Mach 7
(Kitsune Value: 25% of light speed. Accelerate/Decelerate at 0.7% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) 6 light years per hour
(Underwater)Not possible
Market Cost: 480 million credits
Systems of Note:
Standard Starship Systems, plus;
*Extended Life Support---Because Piecemeals often operate far from logistical support for exxtended periods of time, the vessel comes standard with Type Two Environmental Recycling that reprocesses not only water and air, but recycles biological waste and light materials such as plastics, cellulose, organic fibers, and some metals.....This can extend consumables supplies by 50%(60-75% with severe rationing).

*Detachable Bridge/Heavy Shuttle---The entire forward bridge section can be separated from the ship to serve as a planetary excusion shuttle or lifeboat. The main bridge/heavy shuttle has 2,000 MDC and a 900 MDC forcefield, flies at Mach 1 in an atmosphere(Mach 7 in transatmospheric boost mode), Mach 6 in space, and has a point-defense laser turret for defense).

*Auxiliary Bridge---Redundant bridge design allows control to be routed through a secondary bridge in the life section. This bridge typically has control of the ship while the main bridge/heavy shuttle is detached and away, or in the event of an emergency.

*Long Range Astrometric Sensors---These sensors are the equiavlent of a military early warning array(something that has military authorities quite vexed) though they’re somewhat slower at detecting small targets like military craft(takes three times as long) due to their being calibrated for stellar phenomenoa. However, the arrays can still pick up the FTL fingerprint of starships travelling up to 32 light years away, and can detect the gravity wells of planets and planetoids(of down to Plutonian size) up to 40 light years away within minutes of scanning(rather than days of observation). Can also measure solar flux from as far away as 15 light years away.
Other sensors in this group include radio astronomy, gravimetric charting, quantum particle detectors, and space/time flux registers. Additional instruments may be ‘plugged in’ as needed/developed.

*Long Range GeoPlanetary Sensors---These sensors allow extensive surveying of planetary bodies in detail before physical probes and manned excursions are ever sent down. Advanced radiation sensors, spectrographic analysis systems, active gravitic beam probes, and tunneling neutrino scanners allow the ship to perform extensive atmospheric and geological mapping within minutes.....Subterranean strata and mineral deposits can be accurately charted from 1,000 miles altitude, though complete and thorough geographic/seismic surveying takes longer, ideally with the deployment of a network of geoscisats. Sensors include techno-sensors attuned to detecting fission and fusion powerplants, radio-frequency transmissions, concentrations of processed materials(such as optical fibers, plastics, and refined metals), and industrial gases/pollutants. PPE sensors detect and determine ambient PPE/magical activity, as well as the presence and location of leylines. Biological sensors study biological byproducts, chemicals associated with the presence of lifeforms, microbial density in air and water, and bio-electric traces.

*Tractor Beams(4)----Effectively each rated for 1,000 tons dead weight, but can be used for imparting small changes in momentum/direction to ships/structures several times that mass.
Range: 5 miles in space(NOT usable in atmosphere)(Kitsune Values: 5,000 miles in space).

Weapons Systems:
1) Point Defense Lasers(6)---These laser mounts, similar to those used by the Three Galaxies’ larger luxury liners for self-defense, are typically used to destroy space debris and bandit fighters, but they are also ocasionally used to melt portions of asteroids and other spacial debris for spectrographic analysis.
Range 12.000 ft :in atmosphere, 36.000 ft in space
(Kitsune Values: 8 miles in atmosphere, 8,000 miles in space)
Damage: 2d6x10 MD per blast
Rate of Fire: EGCHH, or auto-fire; attacks per melee
Payload: Effectively Unlimited

2) Point Defense Rail Guns/Mini-Missile Launchers(2)---Combination double-barreled lasers and mini-missile launchers, similar to those mounted aboard the CCW’s Scimitar-class frigates.
Range: (Rail Gun) 3 miles
(Kitsune Values: 300 miles in space)
(Mini-Missiles) 2 miles
(Kitsune Values: 100 miles in space)
Damage:(Rail Gun) 1d6x10 MD per burst
(Mini-Missiles) Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire:(Rail Gun) EGCHH, or auto-fire; attacks per melee
(Mini-Missiles) Volleys of 1-16
Payload: (Rail Gun)1,000 burst drum; additional drums can be carried as cargo(typically takes 2d6 minutes to reload from the holds).
(Mini-Missiles) 128 mini-missiles per turret; additional mini-missiles can be carried as cargo(typically takes 2d6 minutes to reload from the holds).
Aux. Craft:
Provision for 1-6 shuttles. Additional craft may be carried externally; an expeditionary vessel typically carries several dozen heavy probe drones,survey satellites, and planetary exploration robot landers.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice design! And Darkmax, I'm sorry I didn't realize your trooper was a giant robot! It's a very nice Giant Robot!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Itching to see a pic about the Piecemeal.

May I suggest four long range missile/probe launchers
and maybe a long range laser (the latter with variable
frequency) used for both mining, experimentation and
finally self defense.

Can even conceive some kind of a multi-weapon,
which can emitt most kind of radiations or particles
(yeah, that means laser-maser-ion-plasma-particle)...

...after all, the Juicer rifle could do something like this.

Statwise I suggest something along the lines of the
Arcane Mk IIs' lasers as "long range" version and
like 3 km / 2d4*100 MD for particle beam blasts
(or 4d6*10 MD in a cone).

Just in case some aliens (or even long known enemies)
do not show respect for scientific research.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
taalismn
Priest

Considering that the Piecemeal is a bundle of modules that can be swapped out, it's very easy to update and upgrade, especially with additional weapons/directed energy research tools...A Super-can cargo module can be easily outfitted as a probe launcher with LOTS of missile capacity, or its space split between a missile launcher and an energy weapon or two or three.....
THough most exploration ships rely on remaining at a distance from any possible trouble, as opposed to slugging it out with an unknown....The problems usually crop up when something gets brought aboard(and that's when it's a happy day when you discovery one of your crewmates is a CosmoKnight in disguise...). :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

it's always SOMETHING...
As long as WZ doesn't have a Windows-based OS in its shipboard AIs...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Macrohard. :D
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
taalismn
Priest

Ouch...looks like the builders of the BLade-class destroyer/cruiser/missile ship got serious about battlewagon construction....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I couldn't see it. It said the bandwidth had been exceeded.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

The Orbital Construction Bug......very dangerous if you're trying to make a runabout...and you end up assembling a dreadnought....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

It asked me for a login and password.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

NIce looking ship...and I'm already forming ideas of its power and capabilities with respect to the Big Ships like the Ethereal and the Firebird/Phoenix(the Perdition will somewhat cheaper and less exotic, but no less fearsome as a capital unit).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

They are nice looking ship. I agree!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

BY all means! Don't know yet what significant changes in variants they entail, beyond cosmetic, but we'll think of something...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Big-Arse massdriver cannons, then....
Other versions have a less obvious particle beam weapon or super-laser...maybe a gravity wave projector...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

'Could work'? COULD work? Of course it will work! Let me demonstrate!(ominous hummmmm....)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

WE don't need circuit breakers if we want 'Star Trek' style sparking consoles on the bridge! Bwahhaahahaaahh!!!!!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MASTERMIND
Adventurer
Comment: I game... Therefore I am...

Unread post by MASTERMIND »

Darkmax wrote:Dudes... another two variants of the Perdition... actually just the difference in bow design. Let me know what you guys think, and if I should include this 2 pics in the ship's profile page.

Perdition v1(Original)
Perdition v2
Perdition v3

Aramanthus, If you are still having problem looking at those pictures, you might want to clear your internet cache and browsing history first. I found after I cleared, it seems to be okay.

Anyone else having problems with these links?
taalismn
Priest

Not recently...might be bad timing(intermittant problem).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Darkmax wrote:Even they need circuit breakers! The set director told me so! :D

I have seen IC boards, where the very plastic/synt. resin board
turned from insulating material to conductor. It only took a
good ligthning - apply enough power, and electric arches
happily bypass circuit breakers.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Has a touch of REF Ikazuchi feel to it, especially with the elevated bridge(me, I always have the command center behind heavy armor in the main hull, but you can't fault the value of an observation blister with a sharp-eyed cadet with a good set of binoculars and an open comm).....blisters suggestive of concealed armaments...and that needle prow looks ominous....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

I like the last two designs... Especially the last one's name.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Old Hungarian myths state, that Nimrod's two son (Hunor and Magor)
were the founding fathers of the Huns (you know, Attila, scourge of God),
and the Hungarians (Magyar)...

Just a side note.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Problem is...despite my knowing what 'Nimrod' means, the mental image I get is of Elmer Fudd, who Bugs Bunny once referred to as 'That little nimrod..."...

Hence I now have this image of Admiral Fudd on the deck of his Nimrod-class cruiser, screaming at his crew to 'Kill the Wabbit!!!!'

Memory is a funny thing... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I like the last two pics! Thank you for sharing them with us.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

For peer review...

WZ-CGS-304 Death Moth Compact Gunship
The Death Moth is one of many small, affordable, frontline combat craft turned out by WZTechYards’ many subsidiary members for planetary defense forces, military organizations, and security firms throughout the Three Galaxies. The Death Moth has proven particularly popular as a local-space defense ship and ground attack craft.
The Death Moth is a fairly simple, straightforward, design with performance about average compared to other contemporary designs. It is modestly armored, has a standard forcefield for added protection, mounts a good array of weaponry, and has average speed for its class. Its well-tested contra-gravity drives give it steady and reliable performance both in and out of atmosphere, while its wide wings give it a better than average agility in an atmosphere. The incorporation of two additional crew/gunner stations in the cockpit means that the pilot and flight control computers aren’t overworked managing all the guns and missiles in a hot combat zone.
The Death Moth’s crew compartment is actually gimballed so it rotates to present the best positioning for crew comfort and gee-force orientation, even as the rest of the ship gyrates and rolls through maneuvers...This system takes some getting used to for novice pilots, but experienced Death Moth pilots hardly give a thought to their ships spinning around them during a high-speed dogfight. As much as pilots like the system, most mechanics hate it, claiming that the gimballing requires two or more times as much maintenance as the rest of the ship put together.
Mounted around the crew compartment are six particle beam cannons; two in fixed forward position, and four in two paired turrets on a vertical axis. The two turrets typically are synched and locked in fixed forward position, fire-linked with the static cannon mounts, but they can be operated independently by the two gunners to fire on targets all around the ship. The rear of the ship, often mistaken for the engine pod(the contra-grav engines are actually mounted across the center of the ship and into the wing pods on either side) , is actually a detachable weapons module, capable of holding various warloads of missiles or bombs.
The Death Moth’s real draw is its low cost; WZTechYards typically prices its ships to move, endearing them to small-time military and police organizations that can’t buy from the larger intersteallar corporations or don’t want to get entangled dealing with the likes of Naruni Enterprises. Thus, the Death Moth is becoming a fairly common sight on military bases throughout the Rim States and Independent Systems, though it’s rumored that BOTH the Golgan Republik and several of its former vassal states have placed substantial orders for Death Moths.
The Death Moth reportedly recieved its name after one of the first production batches was bought by the Scholar-Soldiers of Venhest IV, ending the planet’s long ban on weapons imports, in response to an invasion by the Broctile Hegemony. There, the gunships served superbly in actions against the Hegemony invaders, attacking both enemy spaceborne transport and beachhead planetary StrideGates on VenHest. Observing the plasma fires of a burning Hegemony forward base being reflected off the undersides of the broad airfoil wings of the CGS-304s that had just blitzed it, Warrior-Laureate Chimon Samurez waxed, “Tyranny’s iron tread and smothering shroud must rust and moulder, burning in the fires of its own stoking, or eaten by the moths of death it hatches upon itself”....The name stuck.

Type:WZ-CGS-304 Death Moth
Class:Compact Gunship
Crew: 3 (1 pilot, 2 gunners)
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 400
Reinforced Crew Compartment 180
Particle Cannons(6) 90 each
Particle Cannon Turrets(2) 120 each
Missile Pod(rear) 180
Forcefield 900
Height: 15 ft(5m)
Width: 39 ft(13 m)
Length: 54 ft (16 m)
Weight: 19 tons
Cargo:Small space in cockpit for a survival pack and sidearm.
Powerplant:Advanced Lucerin-fuelled fusion nuclear powerplant w/ 15 year energy life.
Speed:
(Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 3, transatmospheric.
(Space) Mach 9
(Kitsune Values: 40% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 0.6% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) Not Possible
(Underwater) Not Possible
Bonuses: +1 to Dodge(+2 in atmosphere) and +1 to Strike
Market Cost: 50 million credits
Systems of Note:
Standard Spacecraft Systems.
Weapons Systems:
1) Particle Cannons(6, 2 fixed forward, 2x2 ventral/dorsal turrets with 360-degree rotation, 60-degree elevation). These weapons are short-ranged, but pack a considerable punch
Range: 3,000 ft in atmosphere/ 6,000 ft in space
(Kitsune Values: 1.3 miles in atmosphere, 130 miles in space)
Damage: 2d4x10 MD per single blast; 4d4x10 MD from a dual blast(from either the forward or turret paired cannons)
1d6x100 MD for all six cannons firing simultaneously on one target.
Rate of Fire: EGCHH

2) Missile/Ordnance Pod(1, rear)---The rear weapons bay can hold the following missile configurations;
a) Mini-Missiles----64
b) Short Range Missiles---16
c) Medium Range Missiles----8
d) Long Range Missiles---4
e) Cruise Missiles---2
f) Bombs----Can carry ‘iron’ or ‘smart’ bombs; either take the equivalent missile warhead and DOUBLE the blast radius, or can carry TWICE the number of warhead equivalents as missiles

Variants:
Most variants of the Death Moth take advantage of the modular weapons bay to mount various different weapons and avionics, typically sacrificing missile payload for the new systems.
Alternate payloads include a troop-carrying pod capable of carrying and deploying 6 drop commandos or two power armors, a forcefield pod with a 1,000 MDC field generation capability, various jammer/scrambler EW systems, and a cargo pod with up to 2 tons capacity.
A common variant is the WZ-CGS-304L, or ‘Lucifer Moth’, replaces the particle beam cannons with more easily maintained, and longer-ranged, laser cannons, each doing 1d6x10 MD per blast , with an effective range of 4,000 ft(8,000 ft in space) (Kitsune Values: 1.5 miles in atmosphere, 150 miles in space).
A less common variant, the WZ-CGS-304PC, or ‘Candle Moth’, substitutes plasma cannons; 3d6x10 MD per single blast, 2,000 ft(4,000 ft in space) range(Kitsune Values: 1 mile in atmosphere, 100 miles in space), and ups the forcefield strength to 1,000 MDC.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Revised Quest Diplomatic ship...made KLM's recommended improvements, and added an energy diversion system that should have been part of the original....reviews are welcome....

WZ-MDS-0556 Quest Diplomatic Transport
For high-pressure negotiations and diplomatic contacts, WZTechYards has developed the WZ-MDS-0556 ‘Quest;, a ship specifically designed with volatile politics and high-stakes dickering in mind.
Though most diplomatic services scoff at the idea of a ship touted as a diplomatic vessel being armed, WZ points at the number of unarmed diplomatic couriers and conference craft that have been attacked, hijacked, or outright destroyed, setting back diplomatic relations, and accerbating hostilities....The Quest is considered a fair compromise between unarmed diplomatic cruisers and larger obvious warships often used for political missions. TheQuest is ugly as sin, and as functional as a bunker, and its capabilities have obviously been designed with a strong hint of paranoia. The MDS-0556 is well-armored and fast, both in space and in atmosphere, the better for quick response to tense situations, and quick getaways if a stable situation becomes unexpectedly UNstable. For a ‘civilian’ ship, the Quest is also remarkably agile; crews have compared the ship to a Runner in terms of control response, an especially useful trait considering that both Runners and diplomatic ships often come under fire(often from the same parties). The ship’s interior is roomy, with multi-environment life support capabilities to handle a variety of biological demands, and the ship’s rooms can be reconfigured to suit the needs of negotiators. Furthermore, depending on circumstances, the ship can be rendered transparent to electronic scanning...or locked down securely to prevent electronic spying and unauthorised communications.
The ship’s sensors are as comprehensive as any science ship’s, but long range survey scanning is much reduced in favor of close-range early warning...The Quest’s systems are particularly advanced in their protocols for weapon scanning, including concealed explosives, toxins, and pathogens. Armor plating is above average foir a ship of this size, while the variable forcefields are exceptionally heavy. Defensive armaments consist of a medium-range missile launcher and two point-defense turrets. In addition, the Quest mounts a novel WZ energy absorption system that actually feeds incoming energy weapons fire into the forcefields(the four glowing vanes on the Quest are J!Ng-designed energy antennae for diverting energy weapons fire).
Some diplomats won’t ever use a Quest; they consider the ship itself to be a belligerent statement of distrust, but other diplomats demand the ship be on hand. Galacta-Corporations in particular like using these ships for carrying out trade negotiations and for executive transport, and many governments have bought Quests as transports for high-ranking political officers.
Interesting enough, the Golgan Republik has bought a lot of these ships for negotiations with its many break-away vassal states.

Type: WZ-MDS-0556 Quest
Class: Multi-Purpose Diplomatic Liaison Transport
Crew: 15, +provision for an additional 35 mission specialists(security, environmental specialists, comtechs, etc.) and 190 passengers
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 4,000
Bridge 1,000
Reinforced Passenger Sections(5) 1,000 each
Medium Range Missile Launcher(1) 150
Hangar Bays(2) 300 each
Variable Forcefields 1,000 each side (6,000 total)
Height: 195 ft( 65 m)
Width: 210 ft ( 70 m)
Length: 390 ft(130m)
Weight: 2,800 tons
Cargo: 200 tons
Powerplant: Advanced Lucerin-Fuelled Nuclear-Fusion w/ 25 year energy life.
Speed:
(Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 7, transatmospheric
(Sublight) Mach 10
(Kitsune Values: 50% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 1.0% of light speed per melee)
(FTL): 7 light years per hour
(Underwater) Can operate underwater effectively(some negotiations require it), able to maneuver at 45 MPH, and survive depths of 900 ft.
Bonuses: +3 Dodge
Market Cost: 280 million credits
Systems of Note:
Standard Ship Systems, plus:
*Multi-Environmental Capacity---The five separate passenger compartments can be quickly altered to accommodate just about any atmospheric and gravitational requirement(though some extremely exotic environments, such as the radioactive hell of the Votorons’ home environment, require specially manufactured pods to be mounted in place of the usual passenger compartment), allowing for maximum diplomat comfort during long negotiations.

*Universal Docking Collars

*Secured Communications---All internal and external communications feeds include signal encryption to prevent eavesdropping on privileged communiques. Communications systems feature multiple-redundancy(including three separate FTL transmission systems) that can be isolated from one another, allowing negotiating parties to relay and recieve information to/from outside without overhearing each other(typically the ship’s crew itself maintains a separate communications feed to relay status information to any escorts or to a neutral third party).

*Internal Signal Security----State of the art weapons scanners at the entrance hatches guard against possible terrorist/assassination attempts, and a full-sweep security scanner system detects and disables any unauthorized communications and eavesdropping. Conversely, the system can be shut down and the interior of the ship subject to FULL external scanner access.

*Internal Security Scanners---The Quest features full coverage maximum security scanners for filtering out possible threats. These systems are routinely and regularly updated to keep up with advances in explosives and nano technology. In the event of a scanner trip, an alert is sounded(either silent and routed to shipboard personnel) or overt, and activation of internal security doors and blast barriers(including forcefields---standard rating is 200 MDC per hallway field)....Many corporate, but few diplomatic, vessels include active pop-up defense turrets(stun blasters, capture foam sprayers, and/or pulse lasers) to actively contain threats.

*Quick-Jump System---The FTL drive system is equipped with advanced capacitors and power delivery systejms that allow the drive system to be in a ‘primed’ state for prolonged periods of time, rather than have to be powered up just prior to jumping to FTL. This allows the ship to be able to reach FTL speeds as soon as possible, without unnecessary delay(usually as soon as it clears atmosphere or a gravity well).

*Energy Absorption System----Prototyped on WZ’s Angel Light Fighter, this system actually ABSORBS incoming enemy laser, ion, and particle beam weapons fire and reduces its damage by 75%...the next melee, HALF of the damage initially rolled is applied to Shield MDC. The system is ineffective against plasma, rail guns, and projectile weaponry. The only other limitation is that it cannot handle more than 600 MD per attack(so a main battle cannon doing 1d6x1,000 MD per blast would do full damage).

Weapons Systems:
1)Medium Range Missile Launcher(1)--This launcher is mainly used to fend off enemy missiles and fighters, though it can also launch drone and decoy munitions. Payload is limited, but if you find yourself in a situation where you need more than five volleys, an MRM launcher ISN’T going to save you....
Range:Varies by Missile Type
(Kitsune Values: 160 miles in atmosphere, 80,000 miles in space)
Damage:Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-6
Payload: 40 missiles

2) Point Defense Turrets(2)---These twin defense turrets are normally carried stowed and retracted under sliding hull-plates, deploying only to repel enemy craft and intercept missiles. Each turret mounts a twin-barrelled laser cannon and a mini-missile launcher.
Range: (Lasers) 4,000 ft in atmosphere/2 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 2 miles in atmosphere /200 miles in space)
(Mini-Missiles) 1 mile in atmosphere/2 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 2 miles in atmosphere/ 100 miles in space)
Damage:(Lasers) 1d6x10 MD per blast
(Mini-Missiles) Varies by Missile Type
Rate of Fire:(Lasers) EGCHH, or auto-fire; 6 attacks per melee
(Mini-Missiles) Volleys of 1-8
Payload: (Lasers) Effectively Unlimited
(Mini-Missiles) 32 mini-missiles per turret; additional mini-missiles can be carried as cargo(typically takes 2d6 minutes to reload from the holds).

Aux. Craft:
5 Light Shuttles or Medium Fighters can be carried
Last edited by taalismn on Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
devillin
Adventurer

Unread post by devillin »

taalismn wrote:I'll leave the pricing to the execs, just as long as I have an unlimited R&D (TOYS!!!) budget,,,
Even if it means a scenario like the following;

Mercenary(standing in front of large vending machine):
"Anybody lend me coupla million? I'm building an air force before lunch!"

Hey Guys,
I'm joining this discussion late, but if you are looking for a way to price ships, I have developed a spreadsheet that does Phase World ship pricing. I'm still knocking most of the bugs out. Right now it is accurate in the pricing of major ship components (hull cost, FTL, sublight, shields, ships electronics) and missile weapons; energy weapons and TW ships are still off. As much as it is accurate to the various parts, several pre-existing ships don't quite work out exactly, but the sheet comes pretty close, especially considering their original pricing scheme. Funny thing though, the bigger the ship, the more accurate the spreadsheet becomes.

If you are interested, drop me a line and I'll send it to you.
Moderator 3 of 6, Rec.Games.Mecha Newsgroup for Robot Games Discussion.
10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
taalismn
Priest

gadrin wrote:I kinda like the Quest, as I need a ship to fit my Royal Exchange of Dracul fleet. Nice and big.

Think I'll turn the ABSORB into Phase Field, that way it'll knock down 90% of everything.

We can do refits, but the Phase fields and recharges will require a separate fee for negotiating with the Prometheans. :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkmax wrote:Taalismn.... the last weapon on the Quest has "(railgun)" under payload instead of "(laser)".

(Waving monkeywrench) It be fixed now!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

I think the Raiden is very cool!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Fearsome looking fleet forming up there!
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkmax wrote:New ship... for opinion.

Proteus 1
Proteus 2
Proteus 3

Its three views of the same ship.

Looks like it could be a nice multi-purpose transport as well as general military vessel...(Hence, a ship with a 'protean' design)...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Wow! The basic vehicle looks cool! The other one looks way out there! It looks like a ship from the planet with a lot of missiles!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

IT can be that too! Or maybe an 'ambulance' ship for a larger vessel(such as for planetary catastrophes or panedemics)...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Plus quarantine facilities(or the means to construct them...such as inflatable space habitats), pharmaceutical synthesizers(its own mini-drug factory), pathology lab, and stasis/morgue holds.....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Oh...very nice....launching into the void.....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

So what is the purpose of the Scorpio-class...the example we see is travelling in the company of two fighter carriers and a hospital ship or general purpose transport...her rather unusual shape suggests to me wither some sort of exotic weapons system(taht takes up all available space that might be used for fighter support) or some equally exotic industrial system, likely refining or producing something on-site dangerous and/or valuable that somebody might try to attack in order to steal or prevent the manufacture of....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

For peer review...might wanna do some more detail work on the sensor and extra systems, so any suggestions are welcome...

WZ-PFS-1 Personal Compact Fighter System
(aka ‘StarCycle’)
The WZ-PFS-1 is arguably the smallest FTL drive starship constructed by WZTechYards...It’s a ‘minimalist’ starship, about the size of a hovercycle or compact urban hover-commuter, little more than an armored roll cage assembly, a power crystal drive system, forcefield generator, and a few accessory systems stuck in around a pilot’s lounger. The PFS-1 lacks any sort of closed environmental system; pilots must wear full environmental body armor, and only the forcefield bubble...known by WZ technicians as the _Umbra_.... around the craft provides any sort of protection against the harsh instellar medium(and weapons fire). It also lacks anything in the way of long range sensors(its sensors are hardly better than those found on commercial shuttles or military power armors) or communications(though WZ engineers have had some success in tuning the forcefield umbra to be itself sensitive to gravitic waves/radiation, thus allowing it to act as an FTL communications receiver/transmitter).
A miracle of engineering combining the talents of native Three Galaxies engineers and J!Ng technologists, the PFS-1 was meant to a strictly in-house secret; a miniature starcraft for the exclusive use of WZTechYards’ own high-level employees, security forces, special operatives, and elite troubleshooters. However, somehow, word leaked out of the PFS, and blurred and vague accounts of the combination forcefield and transport cage, so very similar to the design of the Spinnerette Interceptors used by the enigmatic Intruder species, has led to spirited and worrisome speculation in the Three Galaxies that WZTechYards has somehow struck a deal with the Intruders, trading technology in return for assistance in taking over the Three Galaxies. This is utterly untrue; WZTechYards has little knowledge of the Intruders beyond what anyone else in the Three Galaxies.....Despite their denials, the muddled reports of the PFS-1 have only attracted MORE attention from certain circles in the Three Galaxies intelligence communities, as well as from other less welcome quarters, which has WZTechYards’ coporate intelligence officials VERY concerned.
The PFS-1’s real strength as a starship is its extremely small size and sensor signature....Its sensor cross-section is smaller than that of many missiles, while its CG-drive ‘dimple’ is much smaller than that of most fighters and shuttles. It is much simpler to conceal than a larger craft(tales abound of WZ operatives hiding their PFS-1’s in garbage dumpsters, barn lofts, and even in the personnel airlock of a TGE battlecruiser they snuck aboard). This small size also leads to them being very agile and hard to hit(most pilots compare the control response to be equal to that of most flying power armors) ...most point-defense weapons systems are designed to destroy missile-sized targets heading TOWARDS them, rather than racing away.... Of course, the downside to the PFS-1 is that if the enemy DOES score a hit with a heavy weapon, the PFS has little to protect itself with.
It’s also worth noting that, since word of the existance of the PFS-1 system has leaked out, a number of other aerospace companies have taken renewed interest in ‘minimalist’ starships with military applications; Ganymede GoSystems(whose ‘Lightstep’ FTL space suit design reportedly helped inspire WZ’s engineering crews) is reworking the very same design to produce a Lightstep II/Darkstride military suit for commando teams, and Naruni Enterprises is supposedly working on mating a micro-FTL system to several of its won power armor designs, among others.
Type:WZ-PFS-1
Class:Personal Compact Fighter System
Crew: 1, in full EBA
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 100
Forcefield 400*

*Shield Refresh Rate is 10% per melee
Height: 3.9 ft(1.3 m)
Width: 3.9 ft(1.3 m)
Length: 7.2 ft(2.4 m)
Weight: 1,000 lbs
Cargo: Three small compartments, one behind the seat, and two in the tops of the sideboard assemblies, each able to hold a medium-sized suitcase or survival pack.
A coffin-sized luggage pod(or suspended animation cryopod/bod-box for a single passenger) can be attached to the rear of the cage, and can hold about 500 lbs.
Powerplant: J!Ng energy crystal w/ 18 year energy life.
Speed:
(Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 3. Transatmospheric
(Space) Mach 6
(Kitsune Values: 20% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 0.6% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) The compact FTL drive system can hit speeds of 6 light years per hour, and can go 25 light years at per activation.....however it can only be activated 5 times per day(requires about 4 hours to recharge/cool down). A quirk of the J!Ng Crystal Light Drive is that it will not operate within 5 miles of a ley line or ley line nexus.
(Underwater) Not Possible
Bonuses: +2 to Initiative, +6 to Dodge, +2 to strike, +4 to Roll.
Market Cost: Exclusive to WZTechYards; only coporate security operatives and a few trusted affiliates have been allowed access to them. A fully functioning example with fully-charged Energy Crystal could bring upwards of 300 million credits on the Galactic Black Market
Systems of Note:
Standard Power Armor Systems, plus:

*E-Clip Charger---Built-in behind the pilot’s seat is an e-clip charger with slots for up to 6 e-clips(rifle or pistol). The power connections can also be plugged into to extend the battery-life of electrochemosynthesis-based spacesuit life support systems.

Weapons Systems:
1) Laser Headlight---The ‘headlight’ of the PFS is actually a variable-spectrum emitter crystal capable of casting a high-intensity beam of normal light, or lensing to lase in variable-frequency(adjustable to defeat laser-reflective armors such as those deployed by the ‘Glitterboy’ power armor) laser bands.
Range: 4,000 ft in atmosphere/ 12,000 ft in space
(Kitsune Values: 2.4 miles in atmosphere, 240 miles in space)
Damage: 6d6 MD single shot, 3d6x10 MD burst
Rate of Fire: EPCHH

2)(Optional) Ordinance Hardpoints(2)---Two hardpoints for mounting additional light ordnance can be added to the sides of the crew cage, and synched to fire through the forcefield umbra.
a) Mini-Missile Pod---12 shot pod
b) Short Range Missiles---2 shot dual launch rail
c) Medium Range Missile---1
d) Heavy Laser---2,000 ft range/5,000 ft in space(KV:1 mile in atmosphere/100miles in space), 5d6 MD per burst, unlimited payload.
e)Machine Gun/Light Rail Gun---2,000 ft range/5,000 ft in space(KV:1 mile in atmosphere/100miles in space), 2d4 MD per burst, 50 burst payload
f) Cargo Pod---Holds an additional 100 lbs of cargo/gear; cylinder roughly about 3.5 ft long x2 ft in diameter

3)(Optional) Use of Hand Weapons----It’s suicidal, but it seems to be a favorite tactic of PFS-pilots to make kamikaze runs on opponents while throwing a hand grenade, armed fusion block, or firing a hand weapon through the forcefield when within staring-them-in-the-nose-hairs range...And yet, it seems to work....

Variants:
WZTechYards is still experimenting with the concept of the ‘virtual/minimalist hull’, and the leaking of the existance of the PFS-1 has only spurred greater attention to the idea. WZ is supposedly experimenting on a two-seater tandem version, and rumors persist of a phase-field-equipped model for covert operations.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very nice pics Darkmax! Nice write up Taalismn!

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Darkmax wrote:for Glitterboy.

Viper

His commission for a tribute to the Colonial Viper in Battlestar Galactica. :)

Hopefully I did it okay..... :D

looks great. (i love the intimidation factor of the design, it has that 'i can blow you out of the sky with sheer looks' thing going..) i also like how it has hybrid features of all three BSG Vipers from both the old and new show.

i'll have to write up stats over the weekend. 8)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

Darkmax wrote:Wow.... you made that sound very interesting!!! :D

One thing though..... another variant would be for the would-be tyrants, or the too-much-power-in-my-head would be conquerors, An open-front version designed around the idea of a throne.... :D

Hmmm..the Star THrone....I'll see if I can't add that to the Variants ...

But I already see ideas for upgrading the WarTHrone Hovervehicle from Rifts: Warlords of Russia into an FTL-craft, and an upgraded Splugorth Slaver SlaveBarge 'StarSlaver' CG-Fighter PLatform(I know it's been discussed, but no move made to stat such things out...)...Tech and TW versions?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

glitterboy2098 wrote:

Viper

looks great. (i love the intimidation factor of the design, it has that 'i can blow you out of the sky with sheer looks' thing going..) i also like how it has hybrid features of all three BSG Vipers from both the old and new show.

It reminds me more of those rocket-cars that they race across dry lake beds in hopes of making a speed record before they slam into a mountain....Essentially a manned missile.....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

taalismn wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:

Viper

It reminds me more of those rocket-cars that they race across dry lake beds in hopes of making a speed record before they slam into a mountain....Essentially a manned missile.....

that also sums up the stats i'm leaning towards... 3 of the biggest engines you can cram on a fighter, limited powerplant lifespan, no sheilds, no heavy weapons, just a pair of antifighter particle cannon.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

for peer review....

*WZ-CRZ-014 Mogami Cruiser
The CRZ-014 Mogami-class Cruiser is a design produced by and for WZTechYardsAnvil by the Rebliss, a breakaway former vassal-state of the Golgan Republik. Eager to establish ties with the greater Three Galaxies, and needing a positive balance of trade to secure their independence, the heavily-industrialized Rebliss decided to offer their services to the shipbuilding guild being formed and headed by WZ, Equally eager to gain members in the Anvil Galaxy, WZTechYards agreed to help redesign and streamline Rebliss production, transferring technology in order to make the Rebliss’ shipyards better able to produce new products for the larger galactc market. The ‘Mogami’ was one of the first designs the Rebliss offered up for sale, an export version adapatation of a vessel-class produced for their own military forces. Though classed as a ‘Cruiser’, the Mogami is destroyer-sized, leading to its nickname of ‘pocket-cruiser’ or ‘mini-blaster’. Opponents expecting to deal with destroyer- or corvette-strength armaments are often rudely surprised by the firepower the Mogami packs, and a Mogami captain who uses his ship’s strengths well can chew apart much larger vessels with relative ease.
The Mogami is a compact military starship with a hull layout somewhat reminsecent of a surface navy vessel(indeed, being armored amphibians, the Rebliss designed their ships along familiar lines to them), complete with long, narrow hull, sharp prow, raised sensor tower, and two large outrigger nacelles extending nearly the length of the main hull. Armament consists mainly of heavy energy weapons, allowing for effectively unlimited payload, backed by three medium range missile launcher systems for defensive barrages. Among the strong points in its favor; heavy armament for a ship of its size, incredible maneuverability(made possible in part due to its small size and high power engines), high speed, heavy shields, and a tough physical structure(made possible by advanced Rebliss metallurgy) able to handle the stresses of both atmospheric and deep space maneuvering.
However, its drawbacks are that being so small, it mounts relatively light physical armor for a ‘cruiser’, the bulk of its firepower is concentrated in the forward arcs, and it tends to run ‘hot’ ---the power demands of its weapons, drives, and shields places considerable strain on its reactors(easrly pre-WZ models required careful power management, or else ship systems could be taken offline by power ‘brownouts’ in protracted combat), requiring frequent swapouts/refuellings of the reactor cores(every 20 Standard years as opposed to every 50 years for a CCW Scimitar-class frigate). Another complaint is the ship’s size and accommodations; though the small-statured Rebliss find the Mogami quite comfortable for their purposes, larger beings ( 5 ft or taller) attempting to use the ship have found it claustrophobic in the extreme, conditions only made worse by the lack of recreational facilities and open ‘commons’ space aboard ship(the Rebliss practice extensive meditative arts and techniques over more facility-dependent recreation), making Mogamis ill-suited for long-duration missions. Buyers of the Mogami also often complain about the lack of more powerful missile weaponry, and especically the lack of weapons covering the stern. Yet another complaint tied to the Mogami’s dimunitive size is its lack of accommodations for auxiliary craft, such as fighters and assault shuttles, limiting its effectiveness in interdiction and boarding actions.
Despite these complaints which mostly stem from what many observers call the ‘misleading’ mis-classification of the Mogami in the cruiser class(most Galactic services list the Mogami in their databases as a ‘destroyer’, while the Rebliss stubbornly submitt it is a cruiser), the Mogami is generally well regarded and popular with buyers looking for some heavy firepower in a small package. It is best used on the offensive, attacking other ships hard and fast, doing as much damage as possible, then streaking away to repeat-strike until the enemy is either destroyed or driven away. The Mogami has also found a niche as a convoy escort, its small size allowing it to hide in the sensor shadow of larger transports and it is thus frequently overlooked by privateers and commerce-raiders until they find their forward screens filled with charging assault cruiser. A number of star-nations and private security/mercenary concerns deploy the Mogami in this fashion, with fighter cover provided by other transports.

Type:WZ-CRZ-014 Mogami
Class:Cruiser
Crew: 40, plus 1-18 additional crew/passengers
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 4,600
Bridge 2,000
Heavy Laser Turrets(2) 800 each
Particle Beam Cannons(2) 900 each
Medium Range Missile Launchers(3, 2 sides, 1 rear) 600 each
Variable Forcefields 2,000 each side(12,000 total)
Height: 120 ft (40 m)
Width: 60 ft main hull/ 120 ft with pylons(20 m/40 m)
Length: 300 ft (100 m)
Weight: 5,200 tons
Cargo: 100 tons
Powerplant: Advanced Lucerin-Fuelled Nuclear-Fusion w/ 20 year energy life
Speed:
(Atmosphere) Hover to Mach 4, transatmospheric
(Sublight) Mach 13
(Kitsune Values: 60% of light speed; Accelerates/decelerates at 1.3% of light speed per melee)
(FTL) 4 light years per hour
(Underwater) The Mogami is perfectly suited to landing on water, and can operate for brief periods of time underwater; maximum speed of 40 MPH, and can handle depths up to 800 ft.
Bonus: The Mogami actually gets a +1 to Dodge
Market Cost: 220 million credits
Systems of Note:
Standard Starship Systems.
Weapons Systems:
1) Heavy Laser Cannons (2x2)---The Mogami mounts two pairs of turreted heavy lasers forward of the bridge/sensor tower. Each turret has 290-degree rotation arc of fire, and 60-degree barrel elevation.
Range: 8 miles in atmosphere, 16 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 16 miles in atmosphere, 16,000 miles in space)
Damage: 2d6x100 MD per cannon, 4d6x100 MD for a fual blast(counts as one attack)
Rate of Fire: Four times per melee

2) Particle Beam Cannons(2)---Mounted on the sides of the ship just below the laser turret deck are two particle beam cannons. Each cannon can move through an arc of 60 degrees, allowing the ship to engage targets ‘below’ its main axis.
Range: 7 miles in atmosphere, 14 miles in space
(Kitsune Values: 14 miles in atmosphere, 14,000 miles in space)
Damage: 2d4x100 MD per blast, 4d4x100 MD for both cannons firing simultaneously at the same target(counts as one attack)
Rate of Fire: Four times per melee

3) Plasma Torpedo Launchers(3)---Mounted just below the sensor tower are three heavy plasma torpedo launchers. Their armored launcher casings open up when the weapons are charged and ready to fire, and launch bolts of directed plasma in electromagnetic ‘coccoons’(special EM ‘guidefields’ direct the bolts around the turrets ate certain engagement angles).
Range: 10 miles in atmosphere, 20 miles in space)
(Kitsune Values: 20 miles in atmosphere, 20,000 miles in space)
Damage: 1d6x100 MD per blast to 100 ft blast radius
Rate of Fire: Once per cannon every two melees(30 seconds)

4) Lateral Medium Range Missile Launchers(2)---Mounted in the leading edge of the two auxiliary engine/forcefield generator nacelles are two large banks(8x5 tubes) of medium-range missile launchers, with large magazines behind them. These launchers are typically used to staurate the point defenses of larger vessels and to barrage-counter enemy fighters and missiles.
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-60 each launcher
Payload: 240 missiles each launch bank; Additional missiles may be stored in the cargo holds and reloaded within 30 minutes(1 ton of cargo per 24 missiles)

5) Rear Medium Range Missile Launcher(1)--- Mounted behind the bridge/sensor tower is an MRM launcher. This is the only weapon on the Mogami that can cover the rear quarter of the ship
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-8
Payload: 48

Auxiliary Craft:
1 shuttle

Variants:
There are few official variants of the Mogumi to date. The original Rebliss version, produced exclusively for their armed services, extends the hull an additional thirty feet, adds a pair of long range missile launchers(each with 50 reloads) and a third rear laser turret to cover the rear quarter, and carries more extensive sensor and EW gear. This version is NOT available for export/sale.
Before the Rebliss joined the WZTechYards guild, a subsidiary of the original Rebliss shipyards firm producing the original Mogami-class disagreed with the course the parent company(and planet) was taking, believing that future job security was in continuing to court Golgan military contracts(as they had before Rebli declared independence). Disgruntled with what they saw as a sinking nationalist ship, the subsidiary management and employees took themselves, facilities, and plans, lock, stock, and barrel, to a Rebliss-majority world that was still loyal to the Republik, and set up shop, hoping to retain the original Golgan contracts. Though the Republik did take some initial interest in the newly-independent subsidiary’s offerings, including their own version of the Mogami, the Golgans decided not to buy, and left the firm in the lurch. Now looking to recoup their relocation costs, the breakaway Rebliss are selling their pirated designs to anyone interested...including, ironically, pirates.
The ‘pirate’ version of the Mogami is superficially similar to the WZ version, but is inferior in every way, due to the breakway corporation losing access to its original suppliers(and later tech transfers supplied by WZ)...Armor and shield strength is HALF what the WZ version mounts, the heavy laser cannons are downgraded to Light-strength weapons(6d6dx10 MD per barrel, and range cut down to 4 miles in atmosphere, 8 miles in space, but can fire EGCHH), the particle beam cannons have been replaced with a second set of lasers doing 1d4x100 MD per blast, and the plasma torpedo launchers have been replaced with gravitic rail-guns(5d6x10 MD per 20 round burst, 6 mile atmospheric range, 12 mile space range, and 400 bursts per gun), while the cost remains the same. Nevertheless, the ‘Mock-mi’ as it has come to be derisively called, has been sold to various Rim-states, mercenary groups, privateers, and outlaw groups. Compounding the problem is that the ships appear on long range scans as identical to the more powerful WZ Mogamis, leading to ID confusion; combat units and merchants have often retreated from a contact, believing the ship approaching them to be the more powerful Mogami, when, in fact, it is the less-powerful knock-off version.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkmax wrote:A TY Upgrade version of the Viper.

Let's see.... Venom?.... Fangs... that's been used... Sabretooth....How about K9-2?.... the first rendition being K9-1.

DeathTongue.....
Old 'Bloom County' joke.... :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Viper

ok, got stats for the fighter.

--------------------------------
WZ Yards
Latrans Interceptor

The Latrans Traces its design back to the Lupus Fighter used by the Wulfen Republic before the formation of the Consortium of Civilized Worlds. The Lupus was eclipsed by newer, more advanced fighters, but remains a well known and well loved design for billions of sentients across the 3 Galaxies. Because of this popularity WZ Yards developed the Latrans. Built using up to date technology, but retaining the classic lines, the Latrans open a new page in the Lupus story. Mounting 3 of the most powerful Contra-Grav engines available for fighter use, as well as a Fusion Booster system based on the Scorpion Interceptor's, the Latrans sets new records for accelleration. As one would expect, these powerful engines leave little room in the craft for additional systems. The powerplant is oversized but of limited lifespan, there are no sheilds, and no more than a basic sensor array. The craft carries no heavy weaponry or anti-shipping missiles, only a pair of powerful particle cannon for dogfighting and a small Short Range Missile array.
Sales of the Latrans have been brisk, mostly to the 'Classic Warbird' private collector market. Few militaries have expressed interest officially, but several Shipping and Security firms have placed large orders. Most well known however is the Free Worlds Council, which has covertly obtained several squadrons for use by the FWC Star-Navy. Flown almost entirely by Wulfen pilots, these Squadrons have participated in several well known battles, which has sparked increased interest in the Fighter.

Model type: HPR-SSF-01
Class: High Performance Retro Space Superiority Fighter
Crew: 1 pilot
M.D.C. by Location:
(1) Main Body- 400
(2) Engines (3)- 100 each
Pilot Compartment- 100
Wings (2)- 150 each
Vertical Stabilizer- 75
(3) Particle Cannon (2)- 25 each
(3) SRM Array- 50

(1) Depleting the MDC of the Main Body will destroy the craft.
(2) Destroying one engine reduces the maximum velocity of the craft by 1/3rd and reduces the Dodge bonus by half, destroying two engines reduces the maximum velocity by 2/3rds and eliminates the dodge bonus completely. Destruction of all three engines will leave the craft dead in space.
(3) the Particle cannon are small targets, requiring a called shot at a -4 to strike to hit.

Bonuses: +4 to dodge, Targeting computer provides a +2 to strike.

Speed:
Flying, Atmosphere- Hover Stationary, or up to a A maximum Velocity of Mach 4 using the CG drives, and a maximum velocity of Mach 6 with the Fusion Booster.
Flying, Space- A maximum velocity of Mach 20 using the CG drives, and a Maximum Velocity of Mach 30 with the Fusion booster.
FTL- The CG Drive allows a maximum of 6 light years per hour.
Fusion Booster- has sufficent Fuel for 30 minutes of use in space. in an atmosphere, the air can be used for additional reaction mass, reducing fuel requirements by half, allowing up to one hour of operation.
Power Supply- Antimatter, with a 1 year lifespan.
Range- the Life Support system is good for 1 month of continous operation, but only one weeks worth of non-emergency supplies can be carried. Long Journeys are uncomfortable and are not recommended.

Statistics:
Length- 24 feet (8 meters)
Width- 12 feet (4 meters)
Height- 12 feet (4 meters)
Mass- 20 tons
Cargo- a small locker beneath the pilots chair for emergency supplies and gear, and a small compartment to one side for ration packs. behind the pilots chair is a 'footlocker' with room for a light body armor, an energy pistol, and pilot gear.
Cost- 60 million credits.

Weapons and Equipment:
1.) Particle Cannon
the Latrans main weaponry, the twin particle canon are optimized for antifighter combat, sacrificing heavy punch for extended range. although capable of firing individually, they are usually double linked.
Primary Purpose- Anti-Fighter
Secondary Purpose- Anti-Missile
Damage- 2d6x10 M.D. singly, or 4d6x10 M.D. for a double blast.
Range- 6 miles (9.6 kilometers)
Rate of Fire- Equal to the pilots combined Hand to Hand Attacks per melee. (typically 4 to 6)
Payload- effectively unlimited.

2.) Short Range Missile Rack
mounted between the rear engines on the ventral Fuselage, the Short range missile rack provides additional punch for the weaponry restricted Craft.
Primary Purpose- Anti-fighter
Secondary Purpose- Anti-Vehicle
Damage- Varies based on warhead type.
Range- Varies based on warhead type.
Rate of Fire- Single Missile or Volleys of 2, 4, or 6.
Payload- 12 Short Range Misisles.

3.) All Standard Robot Systems plus;
Gravity scanner- range of 1 AU (8 light minutes).
-------------------------------------

note: the metric values for length, width and so on are approximations, i can't remember the exact ratio's of imperial to metric.
it would be nice to have 'kitsune values' attached as well, but i'm not familure with his system. (i lack the math degree required...)

(edit: price corrected)
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Latrans stats:

Compared to the Scorpion (the other "eggshell with a hammer"
interceptor) the stats are mostly all right but...

- Speed: a bit too fast for other, "canon" designs.
Remember M20 is the speed for most craft, according
to DMB2, that threatens the ship to burn out its engines.
Same for FTL.

- MDC - for its 20 ton, it has less MDC than the Scorpion, with
its cca. 6 tons. But maybe it is all right, since the desing sacrificed
protection for agilitiy (so a few more bonuses should come
handy, like dogfight or extra dodge when using "afterburner")
Or substandard materials were used to cut price... ?

- Price: Even when using substandard materials for armor,
to save costs, the powerfull engines (but sublight and FTL)
in themselves are costing a fortune.

My advice is to up the MDC, maybe adding either an ECM
suite or shields, cut the speed (M12 / M18 would be enough)
add some more missile payload, and market it for like 80 millions.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”