Breeding

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Breeding

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Has it ever been established what happens when two totally different mutants who are the same animal species but are otherwise different (say something that has none in almost every category and then something that has partial or full human looks in every category) mate?

Possible sub questions include - does the offspring stay mostly like the more human looking, the less human looking, or can it be completely random?

Another sub question - not that they'd want to most likely, but can a mutant animal that is all none for human looks breed with just a regular version of the animal?
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Re: Breeding

High_Lord_Bear wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:Has it ever been established what happens when two totally different mutants who are the same animal species but are otherwise different (say something that has none in almost every category and then something that has partial or full human looks in every category) mate?

Possible sub questions include - does the offspring stay mostly like the more human looking, the less human looking, or can it be completely random?

Another sub question - not that they'd want to most likely, but can a mutant animal that is all none for human looks breed with just a regular version of the animal?

I would say that the more human trait would be dominate, and therfore tend to rise to the top of the genepool.

I would tend to rule that mutated animals are genetically incompatiable in MOST cirrcumstances

I agree on both concepts - but that's just my take on it. I'm curious if there's an official rule somewhere (either in AtB or an old TMNT supplament)
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

There is some discussion in the AtB about breeding: I'll look it up later and clue you in to what I find.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

There are a couple of Psi powers in AtB that enable the user to tell if a couple are genetically compatible and if they can breed successfully. IIRC Psis with these powers are very valued and can command high prices for their services.

I'll have to check the book for more, but I believe that breeding is kind of a hit or miss thing at the best of times, so it would be up to the GM to say if a given couple can pop out a litter.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Marrowlight
Knight

Thanks guys - yeah anything specific you can find I'll really appreciate.

Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

Kalinda wrote:There are a couple of Psi powers in AtB that enable the user to tell if a couple are genetically compatible and if they can breed successfully. IIRC Psis with these powers are very valued and can command high prices for their services.

I'll have to check the book for more, but I believe that breeding is kind of a hit or miss thing at the best of times, so it would be up to the GM to say if a given couple can pop out a litter.

Those would be the Cell reader powers (or something like that), and by breeding among themselves, and stabilizing their genpool is how purebreeds are created.
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"
Marrowlight
Knight

After my read last night, I couldn't find any direct answers to my initial questions (cept the breeding with regular animals one - that seems to be out entirely, and even that isn't direct just inferred.) but considering how hard it is to breed at all, I'm not going to worry about it. Gonna have to re-spin this in my mind. Thanks for looking though guys.

Sentinel
Palladin

IIRC, most of the comprehensive discussion on Breeding was actually in Conversion Book One.

Marrowlight
Knight

Sentinel wrote:IIRC, most of the comprehensive discussion on Breeding was actually in Conversion Book One.

Oh? I'll skim it later.

Marrowlight
Knight

Whoops, totally forgot to check this out. Thanks for reminding me by posting in this thread.

Marrowlight
Knight

Yeah Mutants from AtB look rather doomed as hard as breeding is supposed to be. Going to have to go with Purebreed races instead I think, but at least it gives me a foundation to work with.

Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

Marrowlight wrote:Yeah Mutants from AtB look rather doomed as hard as breeding is supposed to be. Going to have to go with Purebreed races instead I think, but at least it gives me a foundation to work with.

Yeah thats one of the underlining plots to the game, the fact that most every is certainly doomed to extinction.
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Marrowlight
Knight

Juankis wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:Yeah Mutants from AtB look rather doomed as hard as breeding is supposed to be. Going to have to go with Purebreed races instead I think, but at least it gives me a foundation to work with.

Yeah thats one of the underlining plots to the game, the fact that most every is certainly doomed to extinction.

Well that leads to chaos and anarchy. :)

Sentinel
Palladin

Matt-NZ wrote:I have some pet peeves with the Conversion Book One rules on breeding. For one, the real life example compared against is wrong (most fox species can't breed with other types of foxes, much less with dogs or wolves - just being all canine doesn't make them all the same species).
It also claims that Wolfen can have healthy offspring with any kind of mutant dog. Which makes little to no sense. Even assuming Wolfen are wolf/human mutants and not a distinct humanoid species, it would require that all dog-mutants were mutated the exact same way - which is clearly stupid. Especially considering further down on the same page it points out some mutants of the same species are unable to breed with each other (a fact agreed with in ATB - thus Cell Reader).

There might simply be something in the Wolfen genetic make-up that is extraordinarily compatible with mutant canines such as the Dog Boy.
Canine genetics are extermely similar to each other.
One of the dangersous points of this though, is that while you can cross-breed all sorts of stuff, you run the risk of destroying a breed through in-breeding as well.

And, yes, foxes, wolves, and coyotes can breed with dogs. The results are not always pretty, but healthy litters can be produced.

Marrowlight
Knight

Lynx8882 wrote:I know it was said before (i think it was) but breeding in ATB is purely based on the GMs call unless its a Purebreed on purebreed

Lynx

Yeah. After a heavy read last week, breeding in AtB is the worst odds in Vegas.

After the Bomb should've been called: "The Last Days on Earth for any of you, Suckas!"

Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

Marrowlight wrote:After the Bomb should've been called: "The Last Days on Earth for any of you, Suckas!"

That sounds like the post-apocalyptic game of pimps and gangsta's

Coming soon from Palladium books right after Mechanoids Space
- Mahatma Gandhi
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Marrowlight wrote:
Lynx8882 wrote:I know it was said before (i think it was) but breeding in ATB is purely based on the GMs call unless its a Purebreed on purebreed

Lynx

After the Bomb should've been called: "The Last Days on Earth for any of you, Suckas!"

As written it kind of sucks, yes, but a GM who's of a more optimistic bend could change things. Personally I go with the 'animals inherit the earth' option. I assume that similar animals can interbreed, and that eventually they'll work things out and establish stable populations of most of the animal types.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Marrowlight
Knight

Kalinda wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:

Lynx

As written it kind of sucks, yes, but a GM who's of a more optimistic bend could change things. Personally I go with the 'animals inherit the earth' option. I assume that similar animals can interbreed, and that eventually they'll work things out and establish stable populations of most of the animal types.

As a GM I'd go that route in an instant myself - but as the world is written it just isn't like that. Why I'm poking around with the purebreeds in another thread, in fact. :D

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”