Maybe a Tournament near Portland Oregon

For all talk related to Robotech RPG Tactics™. A strategic, tactical board game brought to you by Palladium Books®, Ninja Division® and Harmony Gold®

Moderators: Phaze, Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Would you be interested?

Yes.
No votes
No.
67%
Maybe.
No votes
Yes, and I would like to help run it.
33%

Total votes: 3

FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Maybe a Tournament near Portland Oregon

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Just in case people haven't seen the Facebook or G+ posts.

I'm looking to perhaps have a mini-convention near Portland Oregon. It would be RPGs, CCG, Board Games and Miniature Games.

I was pondering trying to include a Robotech RPG Tactic's tournament. Are there any people in the Pacific Northwest that would be interested?
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Maybe a Tournament near Portland Oregon

So one no, one yes.

Not an overwhelming amount of people. :(
Morgan Vening
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Morgan Vening »

FatherMorpheus wrote:So one no, one yes.

Not an overwhelming amount of people. :(

Well... you do have to take into account the comparatively small number of people who live in the state (even if you include Washington state, due to Portland's location within Oregon), the minute number of people who frequent these boards, the even tinier number who frequent the RRT boards, and then subtract people who don't have much interest in tournament play, I'm kind of surprised you got that many. :D

IMO, you're much better off trying to find an area/state based gaming forums for a much more targetted audience. No offence intended, but it's unlikely people will travel more than a couple hours each way to attend an RRT tournament, at least with the current level of popularity. Especially with an untested convention. Adepticon, GenCon, and even PB's Open House have an establishment that works as a selling point.

That's not to say you should give up. But you need to start small, be focused, and realize that there's likely a lot of hard work, and quite possibly not much payoff no matter how well you run things, at least in the short term. If you're OK wanting to put in years of work to build it up, absolutely, go for it. But there's a reason things like this don't take off, and it's not because people don't want them to. There's simply an inertia that's difficult (but not impossible) to overcome.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

Yes, yes. Oregon has no people. No one loves it here... Please, don't ever visit. :D

Honestly, I thought it was a shot in the dark. :)
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

If I was still living in Oregon I'd be up for it.....
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Return to “Robotech RPG Tactics™”