Question about skill in Macross II

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

FelixGungrave
D-Bee

Question about skill in Macross II

Unread post by FelixGungrave »

Since I got such good feedback from my questions about some things in the Master's Saga, I've decided to ask a question I've had for quite a while for the Macross II RPG. What skill is used to pilot the AGA-1JF. Off the cuff I would think it just be the regular Pilot Robot, because the combat for it falls under Robot combat. However, thinking about, there is a civilian Valkyrie pilot skill and under the aircraft fighter pilot OCC the AGA-1JF can be chosen as a particular fighter for that OCC, which makes me think its something other than a regular robot. Or am I overthinking? If the civilian Valkyrie or the jet fighter pilot skills could be used for it, it might make the Military Soldier OCC with pilot MOS a bit more useful.

Also under the Basic ground Robot training, does "no dodge" mean no dodge whatsoever so you just have to stand and take damage or no dodge bonus?

Thanks in advance.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: Question about skill in Macross II

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

FelixGungrave wrote:Since I got such good feedback from my questions about some things in the Master's Saga, I've decided to ask a question I've had for quite a while for the Macross II RPG. What skill is used to pilot the AGA-1JF. Off the cuff I would think it just be the regular Pilot Robot, because the combat for it falls under Robot combat. [...]

So, this is a simple question with a complex answer... there's the RAW - or rather, wrong (rawng?) - answer and the Right answer.

Per the RPG rules as written, the "AGA-1JF" is considered a Ground Mecha and therefore the standard Pilot Robots & Power Armor skill and associated combat skill should be applied.

It is, however, worth noting that as with everything else the RPG is almost completely incorrect about this mecha. Its real name is the GERWALKroid, and for all practical intents and purposes it is a VF that's mode-locked in GERWALK mode with all the mobility that entails for the purposes of serving as an ersatz close air support unit like a helicopter gunship. The appropriate skill to fly it ought to be Pilot Valkyrie.

FelixGungrave wrote:However, thinking about, there is a civilian Valkyrie pilot skill and under the aircraft fighter pilot OCC the AGA-1JF can be chosen as a particular fighter for that OCC, which makes me think its something other than a regular robot. Or am I overthinking? If the civilian Valkyrie or the jet fighter pilot skills could be used for it, it might make the Military Soldier OCC with pilot MOS a bit more useful.

As the GERWALKroid is, as noted previously, effectively a VF stuck in GERWALK mode the Pilot Civilian Valkyrie skill should also be adequate since that covers Fighter and GERWALK modes but does not include Battroid mode.

FelixGungrave wrote:Also under the Basic ground Robot training, does "no dodge" mean no dodge whatsoever so you just have to stand and take damage or no dodge bonus?

Since it's in a section specifically discussing bonuses, I've always interpreted it as "No bonus".
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
FelixGungrave
D-Bee

Unread post by FelixGungrave »

Thanks Seto for your explanation. i got the Macross II rpg years before i actually saw the series, so by the time I saw the series I really didn't make a serious effort to connect it with the rpg, even though my gut was there was something off.

Your information in past threads on how each of the Macross II mecha should have been handled was very informative.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

FelixGungrave wrote:Since I got such good feedback from my questions about some things in the Master's Saga, I've decided to ask a question I've had for quite a while for the Macross II RPG. What skill is used to pilot the AGA-1JF. Off the cuff I would think it just be the regular Pilot Robot, because the combat for it falls under Robot combat. However, thinking about, there is a civilian Valkyrie pilot skill and under the aircraft fighter pilot OCC the AGA-1JF can be chosen as a particular fighter for that OCC, which makes me think its something other than a regular robot. Or am I overthinking? If the civilian Valkyrie or the jet fighter pilot skills could be used for it, it might make the Military Soldier OCC with pilot MOS a bit more useful.

Also under the Basic ground Robot training, does "no dodge" mean no dodge whatsoever so you just have to stand and take damage or no dodge bonus?

Thanks in advance.

Opinions
The piloting of that GERWALK fighter would fall under something like the Civ. Valkyrie piloting skill (iow...something that was omitted or not thought of) [which would be more appropriate for Marine Close Support flying that the mecha looks like it was made for] or the robot combat & flying skill [ which is a bit overkill in training for someone going to spealizing in close round support with he GERWALK mecha in question.]

As to what OCC would pilot it....I would import a/a few of the Marine classes from RT:Marines. Giving that they get MOS's they can take a MOS that would give them the skills to fly this Mecha.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Seto Kaiba wrote:Since it's in a section specifically discussing bonuses, I've always interpreted it as "No bonus".

And I've always seen that as you can't dodge, because I figured if they meant you didn't get a dodge bonus that's what would be written. Would be nice if we were provided official clarification.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

The Beast wrote:
Seto Kaiba wrote:Since it's in a section specifically discussing bonuses, I've always interpreted it as "No bonus".

And I've always seen that as you can't dodge, because I figured if they meant you didn't get a dodge bonus that's what would be written. Would be nice if we were provided official clarification.

I must confess I'd be averse to that interpretation for setting reasons.

Destroids may not be in the same category of agility that Valkyries are, but they're no slouches when it comes to movement at speed. Excluding the units in the Monster series, of course. The old First Space War-era Tomahawks could run at 180kph (111mph!), and units like the Spartan had been shown jumping and evading enemy fire quite nimbly. These more advanced units even have rollers in their feet to maneuver at speed with greater stability. Dodging should not be an issue for them.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”