Interesting idea for a campaign

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Interesting idea for a campaign

Unread post by slade the sniper »

A Zentraedi scout ship has a mis-jump and ends up somewhere, say in the 3 Galaxies or where ever, maybe crashes in Rifts, or gets stuck somewhere.

The PC's each make two characters, one of which is a commander of something on the ship, and the other character is one of those troops. The command characters would be the Infantry commander, the ship's captain, the fighter wing commander, the advisor, the powered armor commander? and perhaps a female powered armor commander (or the whole ship could be composed of females). These command characters could have a lot of higher level/mass combat type of play...while the other characters the players have are the ones actually doing the missions such as the main squad of dudes/dudettes.

Maybe during the fold there was an accident, so that there are very few Zentraedi left alive, etc. I just think that 4 or 5 full size Zentraedi would be amazingly fun to play in combat... and it would allow some high level planning such as how to refit parts, learning new skills, figuring out how to be a mercenary instead of being a part of a war machine.

Just an idea, maybe for a PbP or on roll20.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Re: Interesting idea for a campaign

Unread post by Peacebringer »

That would be Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy, sailing past the Milky-Way. Itself is composed of mostly first and second generation stars with a low-metallicity(that means, most of the stars are M-class (red-dwarfs) with no planets and if they do have planets, they'll be the size of Mars or the Moon and most likely frozen. However, coming close to the Milky Way galaxy, they new star formation has occurred due to the gravity of our galaxy. There are a a large number of newly formed star-systems with massive planets in accretion. There is a slight possibility of finding an alien civilization on a tidally-locked world orbiting a red-dwarf wit liquid water that is 12 billion years old. If they have an established galactic-empire (in their small micro-galaxy), they may be very, very, very interested in the Fold-tech as their galaxy is small enough they don't need that technology.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually the Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy isn't "sailing past" the milky way.. it is in the process of being ripped apart and consumed by the gravity of the milky way. including two massive streamers of stars pulled from it that interpenetrate the disc of the milky way while the core of the Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy orbits the core of ours.
between it, the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy and its affiliated streamers, and others, you have plenty of options for extra-galactic locations without going very far. i've often figured the "other galaxy" the masters were visiting when they detected the destruction of the grand fleet was the nearer parts of the Virgo Stellar Stream, part of yet another galaxy being devoured, and one a bit further along the process. one part of it passes through the milky way near where the solar system is (close enough for people to actually speculate, incorrectly, that Sol actually was part of that galaxy not the milky way. later observations of stellar motion showed we're part of the milky way)

artists concept pic
the further ring is the Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy and its streamer, the next in is the Virgo Stellar Stream, then the Canis major dwarf galaxy and monoceros ring.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
foilfodder
Explorer

Unread post by foilfodder »

glitterboy2098 wrote:actually the Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy isn't "sailing past" the milky way.. it is in the process of being ripped apart and consumed by the gravity of the milky way. including two massive streamers of stars pulled from it that interpenetrate the disc of the milky way while the core of the Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy orbits the core of ours..

So what's the timeline on celestial event like that? A few billion years? Hundreds of billion years?

For perspective I do not have my books hany but
- Robotech timeline has the Invid/Master/Zentradi conflict at about 500 years long.
- The Macross timeline stretches much further to just undet 500,000 years between the fall of the Protoculture and the Earth/Zentradi conflict.
- Douglas Adams destroying the Earth to make an interstellar bypass.....
Palladium System F.A.Q.s - viewforum.php?f=44
Find out you've been doing it wrong for years!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

foilfodder wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:actually the Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy isn't "sailing past" the milky way.. it is in the process of being ripped apart and consumed by the gravity of the milky way. including two massive streamers of stars pulled from it that interpenetrate the disc of the milky way while the core of the Sagittarius Dwarf Spheroidal Galaxy orbits the core of ours..

So what's the timeline on celestial event like that? A few billion years? Hundreds of billion years?

For perspective I do not have my books hany but
- Robotech timeline has the Invid/Master/Zentradi conflict at about 500 years long.
- The Macross timeline stretches much further to just undet 500,000 years between the fall of the Protoculture and the Earth/Zentradi conflict.
- Douglas Adams destroying the Earth to make an interstellar bypass.....

hundreds of millions of years to make a single orbit of the milky way. billions of years to be absorbed. (and often a few chunks will continue to orbit as largish stellar clusters even after that, based on observations of other galaxies)

even in the macross continuity the stellar geography might as well be static for the entire time that civilization has existed. we can measure minute changes over the span of years which lets us calculate the orbital paths, but the scale of the universe is such that even the 7,258,248,000 km our sun moves in a year is barely a rounding error. (it takes our sun 230 million years to orbit the center of the galaxy a single time)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

"In February 1998, a team of astronomers headed by Rosemary Wyse of John Hopkins University found that SagDEG orbits the Milky Way Galaxy in less than one billion years. Because it must have passed the dense central region of our Galaxy at least about ten times, it is surprising that the dwarf has not been disrupted for so far. Astronomers suspect that this fact is an indication for significant amounts of dark matter within this small galaxy, which ties the stars stronger to the galaxy by its gravity."

One site said, "Sailing by"; large amounts of dark-matter is interesting because, we don't know what this, "Dark-matter", is. Could it me an advanced alien race with Dyson-spheres? Or lots of black-holes? Mined out stars that do not emit light? Who knows. It would be interesting to find out.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”