Board index » MDC Worlds » Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:30 am

D-Bee

Comment: “Opposition to the current ruler doesn’t make one a traitor to the state,”
jaymz wrote:
You might to update your knowledge as it seems you are working off the original Robotech RPG which has been completely superceded by the 2nd edition of the RPG. The original was utterly rife with errors in every book for pretty much everything. The 2nd edition fixed the majority of the errors but there are still plenty but now it's due to lack of information rather than not bothering to really research the information.

I never saw any "2nd edition" for Robotech, and Palladium doesn't even have a place on their site for them, so it is what it is.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:04 am

Palladin

Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)
That tells me you haven't been even paying attention for the last 15+ years.

It's not in the store because they no longer have the license, again.

If you cant be bothered to do a simple google search to confirm it then that's a you problem not a forum problem but you arguing from superceded incorrect information still makes your position untenable.

It's tantamount to arguing that dnd armour works like ABC but you not owning a core book since 2nd ed adnd while the discussions are about 5th ed dnd and claiming you can't find 5th ed stuff to prove it exists.

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:41 am

Knight

gmg4rwf wrote:
jaymz wrote:
You might to update your knowledge as it seems you are working off the original Robotech RPG which has been completely superceded by the 2nd edition of the RPG. The original was utterly rife with errors in every book for pretty much everything. The 2nd edition fixed the majority of the errors but there are still plenty but now it's due to lack of information rather than not bothering to really research the information.

I never saw any "2nd edition" for Robotech, and Palladium doesn't even have a place on their site for them, so it is what it is.

"2nd Edition" Robotech might be a fan designation I don't think PB/HG actually used that term (could be wrong here so don't quote me on this). The 2E Books came out starting around 2008 and only within the past few years did PB lose the license for the 2nd time. While you won't find any 2E (or 1E for that matter) Robotech Books in the Palladium store, you should be able to find them easily enough on that big online retailer we probably can't mention by name.

Robotech: The Masters Saga is an actual title form the 2E book line (basically covering the 2RW, much like Book 4 in 1E: Armies of the Southern Cross"). The 2E Books do not use numbering like in 1E and include game mechanical changes (to values) along with matching what is depicted more closely (ex. in 1E VR-052 have the shoulder Mini missile launchers, those do not actually exist and where removed from in 2E) though not in all cases.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

the official name of the "2nd edition" robotech RPG is "Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles RPG"
it is comprised of;
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game (mainbook)
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game Deluxe Edition (Hardback)
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game Macross Saga Sourcebook
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game Masters Saga Sourcebook
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game New Generation Saga Sourcebook
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game Genesis Pits Sourcebook
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game UEEF Marines Sourcebook

fans call it 2nd ed because that is functionally what it is, and because "Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game" is a mouthfull to say or write all the time.

with the exception of the last books, which include a large amount of wholly original content (and the the case of the very last one, a whole slew of timeline errors and contradictions), the Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game sticks close to harmony Gold's Current Continuity and Canon for the Robotech TV show and the Shadow Chronicles Film. this means many of the mecha and vehicles have been revamped to close reflect what was seen on screen and what HG's supplementary material states (liek the Alpha, cyclones, hovertank, VF-1 etc) while others have had near total overhauls (like the Beta, which the original RPG got almost completely wrong, and the ASC battloids and power armor, which the old RPG frequently misidentified.) it also saw the addition of units which appeared in background shots in the show but played a bigger role in HG's canon comic runs, like the Condor battloid, the Conbat fighter, and the Bioroid Interceptor.

unfortunately Palladium lost the license recently.

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 pm

D-Bee

Comment: “Opposition to the current ruler doesn’t make one a traitor to the state,”
jaymz wrote:
That tells me you haven't been even paying attention for the last 15+ years....

Not everybody is rich and can afford internet.

jaymz wrote:
It's not in the store because they no longer have the license, again...

I'm aware of that.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:46 pm

D-Bee

glitterboy2098 wrote:
the official name of the "2nd edition" robotech RPG is "Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles RPG"
it is comprised of;
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game (mainbook)
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game Deluxe Edition (Hardback)
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game Macross Saga Sourcebook
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game Masters Saga Sourcebook
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game New Generation Saga Sourcebook
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game Genesis Pits Sourcebook
Robotech The Shadow Chronicles Role Playing Game UEEF Marines Sourcebook

Oh, I have Shadow Chronicles - New Generation (I think), never saw or had a chance to see the others, and never a "Book 4 2nd Edition". Anyway I have used the others for 35 or so years and am happy with them.

Since, again, Rifts/Palladium is multi-dimensional, then all the books are valid, along with any GM modified rules/stats - just different universes - so I guess I will just stick to my original universe for now. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:13 am

Knight

Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."
gmg4rwf wrote:
Since, again, Rifts/Palladium is multi-dimensional, then all the books are valid, along with any GM modified rules/stats - just different universes - so I guess I will just stick to my original universe for now. :)

Fair enough, though I would gently caution you that practically all discussion of the Robotech RPG here is in the context of the "2nd Edition" game.

If you try to contribute to discussions using the old and wildly inaccurate "1st Edition" game as your reference, you're going to run into this kind of difficulty A LOT. The original Robotech RPG was made before Robotech had an official setting and canon, so a lot of it was pure guesswork and doesn't line up with the official setting and series canon. The so-called "2nd Edition" was required to closely adhere to that official setting and series canon for most of its run and drew VERY heavily on the now much more readily available Japanese source material, so the two editions of the game differ substantially on almost every detail.

2nd Edition isn't perfect, as you can see from this "nits" thread, but it's a gargantuan improvement of the old game largely being Robotech in name only.

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:20 am

Palladin

Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)
gmg4rwf wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Rich has nothing to do with either since, here you are....on the internet and indicating you have at least bought one or two of the newer books, one of which came out nearly 15 years ago -shrug-

gmg4rwf wrote:
jaymz wrote:
It's not in the store because they no longer have the license, again...

I'm aware of that.

Good for you? You're the one who went on about how you can't find anything about the "2nd Edition" on Palladium's website. If you knew they didn't have the license then why bother commenting about it? Companies don't advertise or sell products they can't legal sell....unless they want to be sued.

As for just using what you got? Great, cool, but when you are discussing/debating things you are doing so from a lack of knowledge and understanding since, as Seto says above, we are all working from the "2nd edition" version and have pretty much blown the old stuff out the airlock where, frankly, it belongs.

If you want to argue from a position of ignorance that's on you. -shrug-

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:25 pm

D-Bee

Seto Kaiba wrote:
2nd Edition isn't perfect, as you can see from this "nits" thread, but it's a gargantuan improvement of the old game largely being Robotech in name only.

Sounds the opposite, I haven't seen it, but if they gave the E-20 and EU-11 only a very few shots - where the point of beam weapons is effectively unlimited ammo - then that is a major downgrade! Also someone listed the VHT as having a gun rather than an Ion cannon? I is shown in the anime , when they were trapped in the room aboard the Mothership and she tried to blast her way out. The room was "magnetically sealed", preventing her Ion cannon blast from penetrating, a cannon shell (damaging based on momentum) would not have given a rats-butt about magnetic fields, it would have gone through.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:34 pm

D-Bee

jaymz wrote:
gmg4rwf wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Rich has nothing to do with either since, here you are....on the internet and...

because a few weeks ago a neighbor let me start borrowing their internet.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:29 pm

Knight

Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."
gmg4rwf wrote:
Sounds the opposite, I haven't seen it, but if they gave the E-20 and EU-11 only a very few shots - where the point of beam weapons is effectively unlimited ammo - then that is a major downgrade!

The aforementioned gargantuan improvement was in its accuracy to the Robotech series, setting, and canon. Put simply, it's that the stats more accurately reflect the universe and content of the TV show. Laser and particle beam weapons in Robotech only have Effectively Unlimited ammunition if they're directly connected to the mecha's powerplant (i.e. built directly into the mecha). Gunpods like the EU-11 and EP-20 aren't, they're handheld and have self-contained power sources. On the New Generation mecha, it's a detachable energy "magazine". On the Masters Saga mecha, they made it an internal battery that recharges while the weapon is stowed.

gmg4rwf wrote:
Also someone listed the VHT as having a gun rather than an Ion cannon? I is shown in the anime , when they were trapped in the room aboard the Mothership and she tried to blast her way out. The room was "magnetically sealed", preventing her Ion cannon blast from penetrating, a cannon shell (damaging based on momentum) would not have given a rats-butt about magnetic fields, it would have gone through.

Only the oldest model hovertanks... as a nod to a popular fan theory attempting to explain the curving trajectories seen in several shots. The armament of the standard/modern hovertank is a particle beam cannon. The weapon was actually a laser in the OSM.

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.
I think that this thread has drifted far enough from the topic. Locked.

Dead Boy wrote:
All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.