New Anti-Tech Spells

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

New Anti-Tech Spells

Unread post by jaymz »

Sensor Spoof

Level - 4
PPE - 20
Range - 750ft radius plus 100ft per level of spell caster starting at level 2
Duration - 1 melee round per level of spell caster
Save - only if person is wearing or using optical enhancing equipment (night vision goggles etc) not sensors like radar, sonar, lidar, etc.

Effects:

Any units in the area and any units that enter the area are affected. Affected unit's sensors will see the amount of contacts tracked double in number (half real, half false). Roll to strike as normal. If successful roll a percentile. 50% chance to miss the intended target. Increase by 10% for every 5 levels of the spell caster (maximum is 80% at 15th level)

If affected units figure out they are being sensor spoofed somehow they may attempt to cut through the spoofing with a sensor operations skill roll at a penalty of -5% per level of caster (maximum penalty is -75%).

Contacts are tripled at 4 levels of experience, quadrupled at 8 levels of experience, and quintupled at 12 levels of experience.

----

Sensor Ghost

Level - 8
PPE - 60
Range - 1500ft radius plus 200ft per level of spell caster starting at level 2
Duration - 1d4 melee rounds +1 per level of spell caster starting at level 2
Save - only if person is wearing or using optical enhancing equipment (nightvision goggles etc) not sensors like radar, sonar, lidar, etc.

Effects:

Units in the are and any units that enter the area are affected. The spell will cause the affected units to see an image appear on their sensors systems (radar, lidar, sonar, etc). It is as if the thing is really there unless someone were to pop their head out to physically look or use a direct external camera feed. This "ghost" will maintain a "steady distance" away from the affected unit.

Locking and firing at the "ghost" will just result in shooting at the air.

If affected units figure out they are being sensor ghosted somehow they may attempt to cut through the ghosting with a sensor ops skill roll at a penalty of -5% per level of caster (maximum penalty is -75%).

This spell creates one ghost for every 5 levels of the spell caster. (maximum 3 ghosts)

----

White Noise

Level - 6
PPE - 25
Range - 1000ft radius +250ft per level of spell caster starting at level 2
Duration - 1 melee per level of spell caster
Save - none

Effects:

This spell creates an area of "white noise" that disrupts audio and video transmissions that go through them. Messages are garbled, staticky and generally unintelligible.

A communications operator can try to cut through the "white noise" but is at a penalty of -5% per level of spellcaster. (Maximum penalty is -75%)

----

The premise of these spells is that the spell caster is essentially agitating all ambient PPE energy in the area of effect to cause the spoofing, ghosting, and white noise to electronics much like an electromagnetic storm in a way.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
taalismn
Priest

Re: New Anti-Tech Spells

Unread post by taalismn »

How do these spells stack up against TechnoWizardry sensor systems?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Well I would argue that since they systems are still a essentially a "tech effect" then they would work the same way against those as they do traditional systems but I never really thought about it.

These three spells would certainly work well for a TW ECM system.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

jaymz THIS AWESOME MAN!!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
taalismn
Priest

Because I wondered that if the Spoofer spells worked against IR/Thermoimager optics, but what about a TW See the Invisible or Sense Magic optic set, or if the " agitating all ambient PPE energy in the area of effect to cause the spoofing, ghosting, and white noise to electronics' was essentially calibrated to bother the technology, or if the active TW enhancements somehow insulated the systems' functioning(like defensive spell strength versus an offensive spell's spell strength).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

taalismn wrote:Because I wondered that if the Spoofer spells worked against IR/Thermoimager optics, but what about a TW See the Invisible or Sense Magic optic set, or if the " agitating all ambient PPE energy in the area of effect to cause the spoofing, ghosting, and white noise to electronics' was essentially calibrated to bother the technology, or if the active TW enhancements somehow insulated the systems' functioning(like defensive spell strength versus an offensive spell's spell strength).

I guess the simplest way then would be to allow tw systems to maybe make a save against the spell. Succeed no effect and fail treat like a normal tech system.

I'd suggest the gm make the sv roll though not the player.

\m/
taalismn
Priest

Yah, that's what I figured as well.

"Damn! I think the guy there with the wiz-goggles just made us! Take him out first!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Slight nit-picking, but based on canon precedent the PPE values for the spell levels are off for "White Noise" (Lvl 6, w/25PPE) and "Sensor Spoof" (Level 4, w/20PPE), IF these are part of the Wizard Invocation category (I didn't look at other types):
-Level 4 ranges from 6-10 PPE
-Level 6 ranges from 10-20 PPE

Sensor Ghost is within the range of 25-70 PPE for Level 8. This is looking at the spells as they appear in the Book of Magic, I'm not saying you can't have spells outside of the range as there is overlap between levels in terms of PPE only that they are outside the canon range.

Otherwise, they look good overall, though personally I'm not sure if they fill a gap per say from Invocation Magics depending on how someone (which will likely vary) sees Illusion-type spells interacting with tech sensors ("White Noise" IMHO is already handled by "Frequency Jamming", though "White Noise" has better range).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Sensor Spoof: Raise the level to 7 and raise the PPE cost to match. Cut the starting range to 450 ft to reflect the change in Level of spell. The save listing should have "None, " added before the rest of the text there.

Sensor Ghost: should work more like multiple image in that the Sensor Ghosts have to stay within a range of the caster. With the casting mage able to generally direct them around. And that the Sensor Ghosts are sending back real decoy returns to the sensors trained on the Area of Effect. Taking a sensorary equipment roll with a -30% to see that they are not really there.
Since they are not physical shooting weapons that do mundane damage (SD or MD) do nothing to the decoys/Sensor Ghosts.

White Noise: just call it 'Comm Jamming'
Having the same range for the source point of the jamming and Range of Radio Sight being tens of miles.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”