True Atlantean Marks of Heritage

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daeglan
Adventurer

True Atlantean Marks of Heritage

Unread post by Daeglan »

In Savage Rifts the flaming sword tatoo has the Silver and Fire Trapping. so you can stake a vampire....In Palladium I cant find anything that spacifies. But that started the Tradition to deal with Vampires. SO i would think they do....but it is unclear
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: True Atlantean Marks of Heritage

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

RE:Staking: Those tattoo users converted into full Supernatural Beings, such as Undead Slayers, can damage vampires solely by dint of that. It's suggested frequently that wood or silver is required to stake an incapacitate a vamp. The revised WB1, pg 77, col 2: Weapons of Silver has this line " Like wood and magic weapons, a silver weapon inflicts damage and can temporarily incapacitate the vampire."

With it being so tied to notions of clan, DB15 strongly implies the Mark of Heritage is a basic flaming sword, albeit one decorated in some style traditional to the given clan. can be added later, to a maximum of 2 (which doesn't count the flaming). While the resultant weapon with its enhancements can be activated with one action, it counts as multiple tattoos against the six active tattoo limit. This is why, should a character acquire a magic weapon tattoo, it's best to just pile on all the enhancements wanted at once, such that it counts as a single active tattoo. The downside to that the character can't pick and choose which enhancements are active, while with the former situation they can.

Note Simple Weapons can be made of alternate materials. Crazy stuff like Gantrium or Psylite or whatever seem a bit excessive, but I could see a starting Undead Slayer debating what to cover between bone, cold iron, silver, and wooden stakes.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Thanks,

But that doesn't really answer my question...I dont see anything in the enhancements dealing with vampires....
Curbludgeon
Hero

Yeah, because like I posted, only wood and silver (and if one accepts the line on pg77, magic weapons) are capable of staking a vampire. Otherwise one's forced to do things like attempt decapitation, which like staking through the heart makes the vampire vulnerable to fire.

None of the enhancements really apply to vampires specifically, although the demon/deevil slayer and dripping blood ones would add to damage.
narcissus
Explorer

Unread post by narcissus »

They get two marks of heritage - a flaming sword and a heart impaled by a stake. The former can damage vampires, and the latter creates a wooden stake and a cross in the Atlantean's hands, in addition to making them impervious to vamp slow kill and mind control.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

narcissus wrote:They get two marks of heritage - a flaming sword and a heart impaled by a stake. The former can damage vampires, and the latter creates a wooden stake and a cross in the Atlantean's hands, in addition to making them impervious to vamp slow kill and mind control.

No that is Not what that tattoo does. Not even close.
Curbludgeon
Hero

It sounds like you're basing that on the description within Savage Rifts. Within Palladium Rifts, and with the exception that the tattoo of a flaming sword doesn't make an actually flaming weapon, that is what the tattoos do.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Curbludgeon wrote:It sounds like you're basing that on the description within Savage Rifts. Within Palladium Rifts, and with the exception that the tattoo of a flaming sword doesn't make an actually flaming weapon, that is what the tattoos do.

Even in Savage rifts it doesnt do that. It can be used as a Holy synbol. but nothing about that says it becomes an object in your hand...
Curbludgeon
Hero

The description changed between WB2 and DB15. I hadn't yet looked at my copy of Atlantis and the Demon Seas, so this is as good an excuse as any. I'll put up quotes from both games on the subject
Atlantis and the Demon Seas, pg 74, Magical Tattoos: Power Tattoos: Heart, Staked: Cast Exalted arcane protection (self); vs undead only, 1 hour. PPE: 1 Strain: 1
World Book 2:Atlantis, pg 92,
Heart Pierced by a Wooden Stake (protection)
P.P.E. to activate: 15
Duration: One hour per level of experience or until cancelled.
Power: The character is impervious to the bite (cannot be turned into a vampire or enslaved) , and mind control powers of vampires and related species of undead.
Note: Although greatly protected, the vampire can hurt and even kill the T-Man by using a killing bite attack, the brute force of punches, claws, etc., and/or weapons .
Dimension Book 15:Secrets of the Atlanteans, pp162-3
Heart Pierced by a Wooden Stake (Protection)
P.P.E. to Activate: 15
Duration: One hour per level of experience or until canceled.
Power: The T-Man gains the following power:
• Immune to the Pheromone Induced Seduction.
• The character is impervious to the slow kill bite, and cannot be turned into a vampire or enslaved.
• Impervious to all the mind control powers of vampires and related species of undead.
• When the magic tattoo is first activated, a wooden stake and a cross appears, one in each hand. Both disappear when the duration ends or the tattoo magic is cancelled.
Note: Though greatly protected by this magic tattoo, the vampire can hurt and even kill a Tattooed O.C.C. like the Undead Slayer by using killing bite attacks, the brute force of punches, claws, etc., and via weapons or magic.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Curbludgeon wrote:The description changed between WB2 and DB15. I hadn't yet looked at my copy
• When the magic tattoo is first activated, a wooden stake and a cross appears, one in each hand. Both
[/quote]

this seems like it would get in the way a lot of the time... I hadnt seen that line in DB15

Return to “Rifts®”