Vampire Hair

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Vampire Hair

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i would assume continue to grow.. largely because part of the origin of the vampire myths is the perception that hair and nails grew after death when coffins were exhumed. (in reality it was the skin shrinking and revealing more of the hair and nails) this led to the belief that those corpses were in fact 'undead'.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Based on WB1R, vamps have a demonic appearance with long nails etc. However, I'm assuming, S_B, you refer to when they hide their demonic appearance, as they have limited metamorphosis to look human again (pg 14). It lists specifically that fangs, ears and nails revert to look normal and skin loses its dead flesh look. I would presume they would also lose the corpse hair look Glitterboy described and it would return to a natural look. Presumably, the cut and style of the hair would be better the higher in the vamp hierarchy they are to reflect their PB, as even wild vamps can morph their hair to being "disheveled" (pg 15).

I imagine though that it must be tough being a barber to a vamp. Clippers would have to be silver or magical to cut their hair and the mirror would be useless in showing the vamp the final cut. Forget a shampoo and wash, unless alcohol was used instead of water. A shave would also be meaningless if the hair bioregenerated before even being paid :frust:
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I think there's more gained by having it grow similarly to when alive than not. Otherwise one gets silly situations like in the recent tv show Reginald the Vampire, where an initial conceit is that fat people don't usually get turned because they'll just stay fat forever, or someone with floor length braided hair being converted in order to become some infinite source of vampire rope.
Plane
D-Bee

Unread post by Plane »

I'd imagine their hair actually grows super-fast but the reason you see so many bald vampires in the artwork is that their hair doesn't share their invulnerability, so it gets vaporized every time they do stuff like run through a fire or get shot in the head with plasma which otherwise doesn't harm them.

It's not like fast-growing hair would be a problem since they could use their super-strength claws to snip it at a whim. They don't even have to worry about harming themself since they'd just heal any skull cuts.

Return to “Rifts®”