Urban Combat

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TheRealPuzuma
Newb

Urban Combat

Unread post by TheRealPuzuma »

My first post to the forum, so apologies if it's been done. I've been scouring the web for a week with no luck, and searching the forum hasn't yielded the results I'm looking for.

I've been talking to my D&D group for well over a year about Rifts. My wife got me the Ultimate Edition book for Christmas as my original version was lost.

The game is definitely going to have urban combat. Which means collateral damage to buildings and other items in the streets.

The thing is, I haven't found any information on how much sdc/mdc to assign to, say, a wooden house vs brick.

I get that a volley of mdc missiles would obliterate a home, but one shot from a Wilk's laser pistol?
taalismn
Priest

Re: Urban Combat

Unread post by taalismn »

Wood and bric hamlets in a megadamage firefight?
Ain't going to be much left of that place except the memories....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

To be honest I would not worry too much about an actual number value, I would focus more on playing it based on a description of what is going on during the firefight as most of the MD weapons that they will be using will just punch holes in everything. I would just vary the size of the hole based on the weapon type: Lasers - an inch or two; Ion Beams - 2-4 inches; Particle beams/Plasma - 2-3ft holes; Rail Guns - At least half the wall/structure gone. Missiles and other MD Explosives.......it's gone. Hope that is somewhat useful.
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:Palladium Fantasy Main Book pg. 47 has some SDC values for doors and trunks and all that sort of thing. I would think Heroes Unlimited has some listings for stuff and how much it takes for a random bank vault to be cracked open.

Smiling_Bandit - Hoping he was useful

PF2E Main Book pg47 has a table for S.D.C Values. This table is found in HU2E on pg70 and the OLD Rifts Main Book (not RUE) on pg36. I'm pretty sure you can find it or something like it in other Main Book lines (I know it's in 1E RT, Macross2, and TMNT: revised), Rifits Ultimate Edition (and possibly main books based on it) does seem to be the exception AFAIK.

Devjannz wrote:To be honest I would not worry too much about an actual number value, I would focus more on playing it based on a description of what is going on during the firefight as most of the MD weapons that they will be using will just punch holes in everything. I would just vary the size of the hole based on the weapon type: Lasers - an inch or two; Ion Beams - 2-4 inches; Particle beams/Plasma - 2-3ft holes; Rail Guns - At least half the wall/structure gone. Missiles and other MD Explosives.......it's gone. Hope that is somewhat useful.

To be honest this is what I would suggest doing.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Devjannz wrote:To be honest I would not worry too much about an actual number value, I would focus more on playing it based on a description of what is going on during the firefight as most of the MD weapons that they will be using will just punch holes in everything. I would just vary the size of the hole based on the weapon type: Lasers - an inch or two; Ion Beams - 2-4 inches; Particle beams/Plasma - 2-3ft holes; Rail Guns - At least half the wall/structure gone. Missiles and other MD Explosives.......it's gone. Hope that is somewhat useful.

SB1 says a MD energy pistol will leave [edit: holes] the size of volleyballs,
Energy rifle leaves holes the size of basketballs.
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

SB1 says a MD energy pistol will leave jokes the size of volleyballs,

Volleyballs are ~8.15-8.4 " in diameter
Basketballs are ~9.4-9.5" in diameter

And how do you "leave jokes the size of volleyballs"? :-?
(EDIT: yeah I now typo it should be "holes", does no one proofread?)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

SB1 says a MD energy pistol will leave jokes the size of volleyballs,

Volleyballs are ~8.15-8.4 " in diameter
Basketballs are ~9.4-9.5" in diameter

And how do you "leave jokes the size of volleyballs"? :-?
(EDIT: yeah I now typo it should be "holes", does no one proofread?)

Apparently one does NOT!
:lol: :lol:

I guess the holes on me.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

use the DND rules for movement and cover.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”