Have any of your characters ever used an exotic mount?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Have any of your characters ever used an exotic mount?

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Like a drake or wyvern or griffin or baby dragon? or something even sillier?

Have any of your PC's routinely used a silly robot as a personal vehicle? Like a hover horse? Or floating pod style gladiator chariot?
Juicers are supposedly famous for flying weird and dangerous things. or so the books tell me, but in all my campaigns they use exoskeleton jetpacks or something similar.

Of course very valiant characters might ride a silver unicorn Pegasus thing. A very hellish creature might ride a nightmare, or something worse....

ANYWAY

thoughts?
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Re: Have any of your characters ever used an exotic mount?

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

I had a character who had a male dragondactyl.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

Fenris2020 wrote:I had a character who had a male dragondactyl.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5f/a0/b9/5fa0 ... bf4110.jpg
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

When we first started playing Rifts all we had was RMB and SB1 so vehicle choices were limited. I played a Wilderness Scout and a friend played a Cyber-knight and we both started with real horses. Those died a lot so then I created an enhanced horse that was faster and tougher and those died too. When Conversion Book 1 came out I got a Gryphon and he got a Pegasus.

It was kind of fun but in the end they just can't keep up with modern vehicles so we switched to other vehicles, mainly Power Armor.

Now they are not riding animals but another player ran a hatchling dragon and he had a trio of Yll Tree Climbers as like attack animals.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

It's a trade-off whether your character uses some type of mount or a vehicle.
From a role-playing stand-point, a lot of characters would logically tend to a living mount of some sort.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i had a demigod wolf blood (a rifter psionics class) that had a bond with a phantom wolf (from madhaven). the wolfblood's mentally bond with wolves, and the phantom wolves were a rare option given. since she was a demogod, an unconventional option made sense.

didn't get to play her much, but having a wolf large enough to ride like a horse was pretty neat. especially since it could turn itself and its passenger intangible.

personally, i think that exotic mounts should be more common in rifts.. and that the "horsemanship: exotic" should only really apply to the truly odd beats, like fury beetles and the big dinosaurs, while stuff that is horse sized should be covered by the normal horsemanship skills, even if very much not a horse. this would help expand the variety of options for players., though it would require someone actually writing up some good options.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
killgore444
Wanderer
Comment: Brains are of little value to a warrior if they are no longer contained in his broken skull.

Unread post by killgore444 »

Fury Beetle
Flying Broom (not a mount I know, but without armor, rather absurd).
Other than Warmounts in a Splicers game, I've generally stuck to horses and vehicles.
History is where we look to for answers and guidance. History explains who we are, where we came from, and everything about our world. History is full of lies.
"Changing history to suit your purposes has a long and successful history."
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Robot horses, and intelligent mounts/partners have happened more than a few times in my games. It depends how the group wants to play things, but they can be good, almost NPCs.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

yes, a few times things like furry beatless dinosaurs and even a dragon that let the my pc ride it.

Typically I do not let players start with things robot horses and such only a couple went out of their way to acquire one. One TW did build a robot turtle to ride on.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”