"The Press Conference"

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

"The Press Conference"

Unread post by jaymz »

- Chi-town Burbs, autumn 112 P.A. -

It was a quiet lunch hour at the A While Longer. The TV on the wall was replaying the previous nights basketball game between the Chi-Town Chiefs and the Iron Heart Miners. There were only a few partons in the bar at this time of day just relaxing.

Suddenly the game was interrupted "This is Richard Showalter for CSNN. We are live for an impromptu Press Conference being held by Colonel Joseph Prosek II. Here he is now...."

The camera pans to show a podium with Joseph II taking his place behind it looking a little worse for wear. His eyes seemed a bit puffy and red.

----

"Thank you everyone for coming on such short notice. I don't want to waste your time so I will get right to it. At 0823, we received an emergency call from one of our convoys North of Chi-town. Usually this is nothing of note as we have convoys getting attacked regularly. However, this was no ordinary convoy. Unknown to all but a very select few people, this convoy had among it's personnel my father, our beloved Emperor, Karl Prosek, and his entourage of advisors and counsel, including the revered General Cabot. Several nearby units were immediately dispatched to the area with haste but...." Joseph took a breath has if to compose himself. "But...by the time they arrived it was too late. The convoy had been destroyed. Our troops did their best and there are reports of others arriving on scene to assist defending the convoy against the attackers, who have been identified as..", he checked his notes, "Hades Demons. It is unknown at this time if this was a targeted or a random attack but preliminary reports of the apparent attack patterns point to targeted. There...." He bowed his head. He had to stop to keep himself from seemingly breaking down. After a few moments he took another deep breath and looked out to the reporters and assembled people there. With a sniffle he spoke "There...were no survivors. Emperor Prosek... my father... is dead."

He let that sit as the crowd gasped and murmured among themselves for a minute or so.

After the minute passed he cleared his throat to get their attention. "As of 1055, I have taken the mantle of Emperor and all the responsibilities that go along with my new station. I swear to you here, and to everyone in the Coalition... I WILL make sure those demonic bastards pay with their own lives as will whoever may have had a hand in this happening. Already, there are units on the move to track down these assassins and our brave soldiers will not stop until justice and vengeance has been delivered. I only hope I serve you, the people of the coalition, half as well as my father did. Thank you." And with that he stepped away from the podium, while reporters clamored to ask questions, without another word as he left the room.

----

"And...." Richard Showalter seemed stunned, his faced drained of colour as he spoke with some difficulty "....there you have it everyone.... Emperor Karl Prosek... is dead... Long live Emperor Joseph Prosek... We... we return you to your regularly scheduled programming..."

The TV switched back to the replay of the Basketball game. The few people in the bar sat in stunned silence just looking at each other as if to say...."what the ****...?"

----

- Later that same day, deep within the fortress city of Chi-town -

Joseph sat at his desk in his secured office well below the city. In one hand he held a drink. Scotch, neat. His fathers favourite. In the other hand a picture of he and his father after he graduated from university. He knew just about every major settlement in North America, and even a few outside of it, would hear the news of his father's death.

He gulped the drink down and put the glass aside. Tears streamed down Joesph's cheeks. "I....am so sorry dad... it had to be done. There was no other way..." He finally broke down sobbing.

/fade
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Re: "The Press Conference"

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

:D Nice
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

wow Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:33 pm how i miss this awesome !!!
Last edited by ZINO on Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Love it! In our campaign Joseph II was exposed to the Orb of Soleman causing a similar change of events although Karl was not assasinated.
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

Impressive writing.

I enjoyed it and would like more.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Mlp7029 wrote:Love it! In our campaign Joseph II was exposed to the Orb of Soleman causing a similar change of events although Karl was not assasinated.

sound familiar Orb of Soleman details...what book?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

It's telling/compelling that Joseph chose to frame an obvious outsider group....Hades Demons....for the deed, rather than some more convenient local target like New Lazlo(though summoned demons could be linked to the Federation of Magic or other magic users)...and he made mention of non-Coalition 'others' coming to help in the defense.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

8) 8-) :ok:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Return to “Rifts®”