Non-Dog Boy Dog Boys

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ardashir
Wanderer

Non-Dog Boy Dog Boys

Unread post by ardashir »

I see that in RUE that Dog Boys can take O.C.C.s other than Dog Boy. Okay, so then what abilities do they get to take with them from the Dog Boy class? What are their racial abilities? I would assume that their attributes get rolled as normal for Dog Boys, and that their senses of smell and hearing are as good as ever, but can they still detect magic and supernatural evil like the Dog Boy O.C.C.?

Any help will be appreciated.
taalismn
Priest

Re: Non-Dog Boy Dog Boys

Unread post by taalismn »

ardashir wrote:I see that in RUE that Dog Boys can take O.C.C.s other than Dog Boy. Okay, so then what abilities do they get to take with them from the Dog Boy class? What are their racial abilities? I would assume that their attributes get rolled as normal for Dog Boys, and that their senses of smell and hearing are as good as ever, but can they still detect magic and supernatural evil like the Dog Boy O.C.C.?

I'd presume so; unless their batch gene code was otherwise altered, it should be still part of their inherent abilities.

Might come in handy for a Dog Boy pursuing science as a career, evaluating alien artifacts or doing field work.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

See World Book: Lone Star, starting on page 22 with page 39 going into a bit more detail about "feral" Dog Boys.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Feral "boys" when picking a different OCC general mean the skillset not the inherent abilities as far as I know.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
ardashir
Wanderer

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll make sure to check out my copy of Lone Star again.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Something to keep in mind is that the Dog Boy OCC in RUE was originally an RCC back in RMB and depending on the printings of Lonestar and SB4:CS Navy they might still appear as an RCC just as an FYI.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

ardashir wrote:I see that in RUE that Dog Boys can take O.C.C.s other than Dog Boy. Okay, so then what abilities do they get to take with them from the Dog Boy class? What are their racial abilities? I would assume that their attributes get rolled as normal for Dog Boys, and that their senses of smell and hearing are as good as ever, but can they still detect magic and supernatural evil like the Dog Boy O.C.C.?

I look at it as this:
for the true "racial" abilities of the dog boy
3D6 for the 8 attributes
"breed bonuses" see RUE/Lone star
Psyonics, Master Psyonics by default,
inherent generic Racial attribute bonuses (they are all genetically modified to have some attribute bonuses

1. Sense Psychic and Magic Energy: Basically identical to the Psi-Stalker,
2. Recognize Psychic Scent:
3. Sense Supernatural Beings: Identical in basic function and principle
to the ability, Sense Psychic and Magic Energy,
4. Other Psionic Powers: The Dog Pack character automatically gets the following psychic sensitive powers: Sense evil, sense magic,
sixth sense, and empathy (receiver only, not transmission), plus the choice of one additional sensitive power.
5. Psi-Bonuses: Dog Boys are effectively master psionics with special
psionic sensitivity as described above and below. This means the
Psi-Hound needs to roll a 10 or higher to save versus psionic attack and
enjoys a bonus of +1 to save vs psionic attack and all forms of mind
control.

they can reasonably pick any OCC available to humans, Master Psyonicicists. and that do NOT have another racial prerequisite.
they are going to tend to not like magic, or supernatural, OCC's and races, but I don't know how much of that is instinct and or training.
ardashir
Wanderer

guardiandashi wrote:

I look at it as this:
for the true "racial" abilities of the dog boy
3D6 for the 8 attributes
"breed bonuses" see RUE/Lone star
Psyonics, Master Psyonics by default,
inherent generic Racial attribute bonuses (they are all genetically modified to have some attribute bonuses

1. Sense Psychic and Magic Energy: Basically identical to the Psi-Stalker,
2. Recognize Psychic Scent:
3. Sense Supernatural Beings: Identical in basic function and principle
to the ability, Sense Psychic and Magic Energy,
4. Other Psionic Powers: The Dog Pack character automatically gets the following psychic sensitive powers: Sense evil, sense magic,
sixth sense, and empathy (receiver only, not transmission), plus the choice of one additional sensitive power.
5. Psi-Bonuses: Dog Boys are effectively master psionics with special
psionic sensitivity as described above and below. This means the
Psi-Hound needs to roll a 10 or higher to save versus psionic attack and
enjoys a bonus of +1 to save vs psionic attack and all forms of mind
control.

they can reasonably pick any OCC available to humans, Master Psyonicicists. and that do NOT have another racial prerequisite.
they are going to tend to not like magic, or supernatural, OCC's and races, but I don't know how much of that is instinct and or training.

I thank you. This is very helpful.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

ardashir wrote:
I thank you. This is very helpful.

oops, I missed items 6-11 (pg 33-35 lone star)
6 includes their generic physical bonuses
7 includes their enhances sense of smell features (they are still canines)
8 enhanced hearing (they are still canines)
9 good sight
10 sense of taste, and biting (bite varies by breed)
11 sensitivity to ley line energy
lothian
D-Bee

Unread post by lothian »

Little Late to the party:

We have had actually this come up quite a bit in our group. We just treat them like they belong in World Book 30 - D-bees of North America and we use WB: Lone Star as a guideline. Meaning all powers listed 1-11 are standard for all the dog boys and then you just add on the O.O.C skill set and other bonuses from that specific O.C.C. Naturally they won't have access to a standard Dog Boys O.C.C Skills, related, etc. . My group also stresses their aversion to magic (so no O.C.Cs), avoiding standard Juicer, MoM, Combat Cyborg etc related stuff, weakness to leylines/leyline storms and the fact that CS isn't going to be happy to see them. Also the fact that some towns/cities near CS borders won't feel comfortable with a dog boy (a spy!?) around even if they are feral. More RP is never bad.

To be honest Lone Star and DB of North America are a great guideline and require very little grunt work or thought which is great. I'd recommend that approach. If you're worried about balance etc. I wouldn't even stress it all. A lot of the DBs in DB-North America are much much stronger and they too are allowed for different O.C.C options.

I hope this helps.
ardashir
Wanderer

lothian wrote:Little Late to the party:

We have had actually this come up quite a bit in our group. We just treat them like they belong in World Book 30 - D-bees of North America and we use WB: Lone Star as a guideline. Meaning all powers listed 1-11 are standard for all the dog boys and then you just add on the O.O.C skill set and other bonuses from that specific O.C.C. Naturally they won't have access to a standard Dog Boys O.C.C Skills, related, etc. . My group also stresses their aversion to magic (so no O.C.Cs), avoiding standard Juicer, MoM, Combat Cyborg etc related stuff, weakness to leylines/leyline storms and the fact that CS isn't going to be happy to see them. Also the fact that some towns/cities near CS borders won't feel comfortable with a dog boy (a spy!?) around even if they are feral. More RP is never bad.

To be honest Lone Star and DB of North America are a great guideline and require very little grunt work or thought which is great. I'd recommend that approach. If you're worried about balance etc. I wouldn't even stress it all. A lot of the DBs in DB-North America are much much stronger and they too are allowed for different O.C.C options.

I hope this helps.

It does. Thank you very much.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

So need to make a Dog Boy merc team from New West... The Gamblers and they're all card sharps and gunslingers.
Kenny
Roger
Rodger
Buckaroo
Ruby
Desperado
Hickory
Lucille
Christmas
Gideon
Tanner
Law
Bobby
McGee
King
Rose
Elvira
Love
Jesus
Melody
Blaze
Glory
Marie
Trust
Mary
Gift
Reuben
James
Some of them were CS Dog Boys and are depicted in the Dog Boys playing poker picture... yeah that's the ticket.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Palladium's character class system is so messy.

I simplify everything. Race = what you are born with. Attributes, racial abilities, racial bonuses, ect. Occupation = what you can learn. Equipment, Skill lists, XCC bonuses, specialized augmentation (you cant just slap on a bio harness and suddenly you get to be a juicer...you gotta learn how to use the equipment), ect. Some Character Classes are restricted to race, hence an RCC. Effectively, the Elemental Fusionist is a human RCC (according to RUE...then completely contradicted in subsequent books where other races can be EFs).

So yes, a Dog Boy mutant (race) can be trained as a coalition Dog Boy and get the skills and bonuses from the training as described in RUE. That means he also gets his psionic and racial powers. Alternatively, he can be a few canon character classes, such as a feral Dog Boy RCC (Wilderness Scout, Spies, Headhunters, Mercs, City Rats, and Vagabonds), K9, and Kill Hound CCs as described in Lone Star or a Sea Dog RCC in Coalition Navy. But I dont see why they also couldnt be any of the basic men at arms or adventurer CCs. Heck, I think if a DBM were trained, he could do magic as well. The aversion to magic is only a cultural one, not an absolute, hence the word "most".

One could also make a case for psionics, but then you are looking at what psionic training the character developed...his natural powers that God/Darwin gave him...or the Burster focus he learned after birth?

In the Lone Star description, it says they can receive MOM implants, so making a Crazy Dog Boy isnt out of the question. Page 16 of Juicer Uprising says they can be Classic Juicers. Both with penalties though.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

Kagashi wrote:Heck, I think if a DBM were trained, he could do magic as well. The aversion to magic is only a cultural one, not an absolute, hence the word "most".

I don't think it is a cultural aversion (not completely) but more to do with large amounts of PPE hampering their Sensing abilities. Magic-Users tend to be PPE Batteries and so I would think that would cause them issues if they were to become one. It would be like asking them to track something by smell when they are surrounded by the same smell on all sides. At least that is my take.
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

After seeing the subject of this thread again, it hit me a bit different.

What about non-Dog Boy Dog Boys? As in the Dog Boy O.C.C. but without being a mutant dog.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Crimson Dynamo wrote:After seeing the subject of this thread again, it hit me a bit different.

What about non-Dog Boy Dog Boys? As in the Dog Boy O.C.C. but without being a mutant dog.

I assume you mean a CS-trained mutant animal. I don't have Lone Star handy, but I believe it has some notes about other mutant animals.

If you mean something else... like a human who was trained by a Dog Boy, then remove the racial abilities (psionics, smell, etc) but keep the skills.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”