New Characters and S.D.C.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ardashir
Wanderer

New Characters and S.D.C.

Unread post by ardashir »

I think I'm missing something in the Rifts main rulebook. It looks like every class gets the same basic starting S.D.C. amount of 2d6+12. Is this correct? I'm only asking because I could swear that I remember the Men-at-Arms/warrior classes getting 1d4x10 S.D.C. when they started out, before adding in whatever bonuses physical skills gave them.

Is that still the case with Ultimate Rifts or is every class limited to 2d6+12 S.D.C. at first level?
guardiandashi
Hero

Re: New Characters and S.D.C.

Unread post by guardiandashi »

all characters (unless they are MDC get PE+1d6HP
the 2d6+12 is for basic classes UNLESS otherwise specified BASE SDC
man at arms types are 1d4X10
I know it specified some other SDC amounts, but I would have to go looking for it
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The 1d4x10 for Men at Arms clases was an RMB-era thing. As time has gone on the divisions of Men at Arms/Practitioners of Magic/Scholars and Adventurers etc. have come to be somewhat less important of a distinction. In RUE every SDC-base character starts with 2d6+12, unless a different starting value is given in the class and/or species description. I'll poke around for a minute to try to find a good example in a post-RUE book.

This could lead to a situation where a character made with RMB rules might have 10 or 15 SDC on the equivalent character made with RUE rules, which I guess might get someone's goat.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

ardashir wrote:I think I'm missing something in the Rifts main rulebook. It looks like every class gets the same basic starting S.D.C. amount of 2d6+12. Is this correct? I'm only asking because I could swear that I remember the Men-at-Arms/warrior classes getting 1d4x10 S.D.C. when they started out, before adding in whatever bonuses physical skills gave them.

Is that still the case with Ultimate Rifts or is every class limited to 2d6+12 S.D.C. at first level?

The wording in rue is the OCC should specify sdc if it does not then they have 12+2d6. (odd because most lack a statement on starting sdc and just list bonuses to it.)

So look at the OCC in question.
1d4X10 sdc for men at arms is pre rue going back to when the game was first created. It may have not been brought over to rue.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ardashir wrote:I think I'm missing something in the Rifts main rulebook. It looks like every class gets the same basic starting S.D.C. amount of 2d6+12. Is this correct? I'm only asking because I could swear that I remember the Men-at-Arms/warrior classes getting 1d4x10 S.D.C. when they started out, before adding in whatever bonuses physical skills gave them.

Old Rules vs new rules thing. and Rifts game vs PFRPG game thing.
Use the rules in RUE or the RMB and stick with it for the individual campaign.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”