Magic Tattoo Weapons

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Giant2005
Knight

Magic Tattoo Weapons

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Do you limit weapons summoned from Magic Tattoos to their most generic variants, or do you allow statistical variety in the choice of Tattoo?
For example, is someone limited to a standard 2d6 sword, or could they have a more powerful 3d6 katana tattoo?
Could the summoned sword be peak craftsmanship as if it were made by a Dwarven Smith?
Could it be made of exotic materials like Black Iron or Kisentite or something?

What about modern versions of weapons such as a Compound Bow over a traditional Long Bow, or even the NA-SW4 M.D.C. Bow from Spirit West?
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Magic Tattoo Weapons

Unread post by Mack »

Check out the table page 152 in Secrets of the Atlanteans. Based on it (which isn't exhaustive) I'd allow the weapon drawn by the artist (katana vs long sword, etc) to affect the magic tattoo's damage.
-- As for bonuses from a peak craftsman, I think the answer is "No," because the power is based on the Tattoo Master.
-- Exotic materials... I'll say "maybe," because I recall an NPC or two having a wooden weapon.
-- Compound bow... again a "maybe." My initial reaction would be "no," but crossbows are allowed so there's a chance.
-- NA-SW4 MDC Bow... depends on if exotic materials are allowed.

I don't see anything game-breaking here, so why not?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would let a player go through the weapon compenium(s) (excluding modern) and pick out what style of weapon they want. They would be limited to just the base version of the weapon. No good craftsmanship bonuses, no exotic matirials bonus (wood not being exotic since they is already wood tattoo weapons already in canon.)

These are for Atlantian (T&S)/Chang-Ku type magic tattoos. But they are the only ones that make magic weapons.....
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

No to generic, the tattoo is supposed to depict a specific weapon so if you can have a Long Sword tattoo with a Katana tattoo with a short sword tattoo. Some weapons are more about reach/style I think than damage, though it should be noted damages for specific weapons are not universal so make sure you and the GM are pulling from the same source to avoid confusion.

The weapon is already described as perfectly balanced which I suppose a GM could take to grant bonuses like if done by a Dwarven Smith (or other). Material requirements depend on if it is possible to illustrate the material IMHO. Which could rule out some materials and not others.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I will follow up on my former comments in saying that The Player Has To Be Proactive In Asking For Something Other Than The Basic Weapon Types.

In other words, the player has to ask for a katana magic tattoo or a partisan pole arm tattoo. If they are into the game then they ask for the specific weapon type, and if they are not into the game they will not ask and they just get the sword I give them (& it ain't going to be a katana or zweihander) or it will just be a spear tip polearm of some sort.

This is sort of how I'd handle magic, if the player says that they want it an effect that while not in the literal text of the spell but is within the spirit of the spell I'd let them do it. But if they just say that the cast <random spell name> the spell just does exactly what the spell text says it does. (yes I know I went down a rabbit hole at the end. consider with or w/o commenting)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I don't remember if there are any outliers in the Compendia to look out for, but selecting a specific type of weapon is cool.
Craftsman bonuses seem pretty close to the crossed weapons tattoo, and a +1 or 2 to damage tattoo for the same cost doesn't seem like a big deal.
Alternate weapon materials I'd limit to wood/stone/bone, and reduce damage to targets not specifically vulnerable, but have open season on strictly cosmetic choices.
Modern bow accessories such as stabilizers and whisker biscuits I'd treat as akin to a crossed weapons tattoo received at the same time as the bow itself.

An interesting question is how to handle S.D.C. tattoos of the weapons found on WB25 pg. 19. If someone with the W.P. can inflict M.D.C. damage that can save quite a bit of P.P.E.. I also just saw that the Scholar Sword proficiency (which looks like it actually describes the Indian urumi) gives far more of a damage bonus than the other W.P.s on that page.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

And a quick aside here... just noticed that the MDC Shield (Flaming Shield) is listed under the Simple Weapons header on SotA p153. So for selection purposes, it counts as a simple weapon and not a magical one. That makes it a lot easier to get.

I always figured having a completely indestructible shield is a pretty handy thing to have.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”