Gunslinger Paired Pistols Question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

narcissus
Explorer

Gunslinger Paired Pistols Question

Unread post by narcissus »

In the Gunslinger/Gunfighter Paired Weapons: Revolvers & Pistols description, it says:

Parrying is not possible when two handguns are being used as paired weapons, but the character can dodge (which uses up one of his attacks) and counter by shooting.

What exactly is the mechanic for this? The only way that I can figure it to work is that the dodge takes an action, but the gunslinger can take an immediate attack (which also takes an action), out of sequence, against the same opponent. So the dodge-shoot move takes two attacks, but they both get used back-to-back. If this is the case, does the original attacker get an opportunity to dodge or is it the equivalent of a simultaneous attack? Also, how does this work when keeping track of action sequence in a melee? Ex.

Headhunter (H) and Gunslinger (G) are facing off. Each has 4 attacks. H gets the initiative

Code: Select all

Action
H 1 shoot
G 1 dodge
G 2 counter shoot
H 2 dodge
H 3 shoot
G 3 dodge
G 4 counter shoot
H 4 dodge

vs. regular combat sequence where the Gunslinger never gets a chance to shoot:

Action
H 1 shoot
G 1 dodge
H 2 shoot
G 2 dodge
H 3 shoot
G 3 dodge
H 4 shoot
G 4 dodge
Last edited by narcissus on Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Gunslinger Paired Pistols Question

Unread post by Orin J. »

i think it's just the regular sequence and it happens to be one of those cases of awkwardly worded explanations.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Orin J. wrote:i think it's just the regular sequence and it happens to be one of those cases of awkwardly worded explanations.

This.
That Sharpshooting perk just means that the Gunslinger can dodge and then shoot normally. For anyone without that Sharpshooting perk, firing after dodging would be shooting wild and come with a -6 penalty to Strike.
I haven't known anyone to actually play that way before mind you, so everyone basically has that Sharpshooter perk for free.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

I would run it like this (like the OP wrote)
Action
H 1 shoot
G 1 dodge
G 2 counter shoot
H 2 dodge
H 3 shoot
G 3 dodge
G 4 counter shoot
H 4 dodge

May or may not add the -6 wild shooting penalty to the Head Hunter.
My reasoning for this is, while both classes are quite familiar with bullets coming their way, I envision the Head Hunter using more hide behind cover tactics while the Slinger/Gun Fighter is more used to duelling.
The Slinger/Fighter therefore would be used to dodging and counter shooting due to the many times they have had such close quarter gun fights. When you fight with pistols for a living you would be used to standing rather close and diving behind something quick and coming up shooting, or shooting while diving out of the way.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There is a nice Martial Arts Form in Mystic China that is based in using dual auto-pistols for fighting.
It might be worth your while to take a peek at this.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

H1 Shoot
G1 Dodge
G1 Counter Shoot
H2 Dodge
G2 Shoot
G2 Shoot
H3 Dodge
G3 Shoot
G3 Shoot
H4 Dodge
G4 Shoot
G4 Shoot
H5 Dodge
G5 Shoot
G5 Shoot

or

H1 Shoot
G1 Dodge
G1 Counter Shoot
H2 Dodge
H3 Shoot
G2 Dodge
G2 Counter Shoot
H3 Dodge
H4 Shoot
G3 Dodge
G3 Counter Shoot
H5 Dodge
G4 Shoot
G4 Shoot
H1R2 Dodge
G5 Shoot
G5 Shoot
H2R2 Dodge
Starting round two with
G5 attacks and H3 attacks

OR

H1 Shoot
G1 Dodge
G1 Counter Shoot
H2 Dodge
H3 Shoot
G2 Dodge
G2 Counter Shoot
H3 Dodge
H4 Shoot
G3 Dodge
G3 Counter Shoot
H5 Dodge
G4 Shoot
H1R2 Dodge
G4 Shoot
H2R2 Dodge
G5 Shoot
H3R2 Dodge
G5 Shoot
H4R2 Dodge

Starting next round with H with 1 attack and G with 5 the round after H would have nothing and be completely on the defensive.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

At one point in the game's history dodging didn't just use up an attack, it specifically used up the next attack. This meant you could have been forced onto the defensive until you got behind cover, decided to take the hit, or got a better initiative roll. It's possible the author had that version of the dodge rules in mind when that OCC was written.
narcissus
Explorer

Unread post by narcissus »

The Beast wrote:At one point in the game's history dodging didn't just use up an attack, it specifically used up the next attack. This meant you could have been forced onto the defensive until you got behind cover, decided to take the hit, or got a better initiative roll. It's possible the author had that version of the dodge rules in mind when that OCC was written.

Isn't that the rules as written in RUE? I know back in the day I didn't play it this way, but now that I'm using Google Sheets to track combat it's much easier to say "you dodged last action, so you forfeit this round". Also this is why I noted the "regular combat sequence":

Action
H 1 shoot
G 1 dodge
H 2 shoot
G 2 dodge
H 3 shoot
G 3 dodge
H 4 shoot
G 4 dodge

In that case, the Gunslinger never gets a chance to shoot, which is why I felt like this was more than just flavor text.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

The Beast wrote:At one point in the game's history dodging didn't just use up an attack, it specifically used up the next attack. This meant you could have been forced onto the defensive until you got behind cover, decided to take the hit, or got a better initiative roll. It's possible the author had that version of the dodge rules in mind when that OCC was written.

I remember that from my high school days, our GM's famous last words when it was your next turn "You're still stuck in dodge" :lol:
Cai1n23
Newb

Unread post by Cai1n23 »

I'm happy to see the issue is now solved. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There is a nice Martial Arts Form in Mystic China that is based in using dual auto-pistols for fighting.
It might be worth your while to take a peek at this.

Triad Assassin

If you go by the book it's limiting on other skills, but you look good doing it.
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Ninjas and Superspies had some combination dodge/attack stuff (1 action I think?) like drop kick if I'm recalling right, which is an advantage if you lacked autododge and couldn't parry, but I think it meant no bonuses for either roll.

Return to “Rifts®”