Horsemanship:general what available to player

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Horsemanship:general what available to player

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Hey I got a player that playing a battle magus. Well I didn't realized they have no pilot skills. So thinking about either going something crazy to grant him some pilot skills. First I want to really know what options are available to him other then just a normal horse. I looked a bit found making a cyber horse article, but not much else. Any suggestions would be great.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Re: Horsemanship:general what available to player

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Since RUE came out after Federation, you could just say that he has to or can use the Secondary Skills list from RUE. RUE Secondary Skills list includes several Pilot Skills.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

HarleeKnight wrote:Since RUE came out after Federation, you could just say that he has to or can use the Secondary Skills list from RUE. RUE Secondary Skills list includes several Pilot Skills.

Is their something in RUE not aware of that overrides secondary skills. THe Battle magus says it can't pick ones for none even for secondary?
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Mouser13 wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:Since RUE came out after Federation, you could just say that he has to or can use the Secondary Skills list from RUE. RUE Secondary Skills list includes several Pilot Skills.

Is their something in RUE not aware of that overrides secondary skills. THe Battle magus says it can't pick ones for none even for secondary?

The RUE changes that.
With the RUE, there is a specific list of skills that can be taken as Secondary Skills that applies to all classes, instead of using the Related Skills list of the class. You can find it on page 300 of the RUE.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Giant2005 wrote:
Mouser13 wrote:

The RUE changes that.
With the RUE, there is a specific list of skills that can be taken as Secondary Skills that applies to all classes, instead of using the Related Skills list of the class. You can find it on page 300 of the RUE.

When FoM was released it was written under the old Rifts Main Book rules and not RUE. Under RMB Secondary Skills selection was based on Other/Related Skills available to the OCC/RCC/PCC. When Rifts was updated under Ultimate Edition rules the Secondary Skills all pulled from the same list.

Check with your GM to see which version of the Secondary Skills list you should use (per RMB/FoM class based list or RUE's uniform list).

Mouser13 wrote:First I want to really know what options are available to him other then just a normal horse.

Well you can get MDC barding for the horse (magical/TW, or tech). As far as mounts that fall under that skill, that is could also be subject to the GM (technically they can also use Exotic animals, just at a skill penalty per RUE description).
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Sorry guess that great option. Back to what I was thinking sorry looking for what animals could he ride. I see the megasteeds from warloads of russian doesn't really say can ride with just horsemanship general? Wondering how people play that I guess. And if their any other options animals that could be useful?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Mount Options:
-Dragon Cat (WB12) or Blood Lizard (SA2) or Psi-Ponies (WB14) but these have human-like intelligence
-Furry Beetle (WB20/RMB)
-Glittermount TW Horse (WB14)
-Tri-Tops Dinosaur (WB14, value notes it is used as a mount)
-Silonar (WB14, CB1r)
-Ostrosaurs (SB1o, WB14)
-Demonrunner (WB21, take penalty even if have exotic)
-Dragondactly (CB1r)
-Gryphon (CB1r)

An option might be to use a regular horse and outfit it with Bio-Borg implants (this would be GM's approval). It should also be noted that some race/class options can pull from a larger list because specific creatures call them out as being able to ride them.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

There's also a few potential mounts in Madhaven.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mouser13 wrote:Hey I got a player that playing a battle magus. Well I didn't realized they have no pilot skills. So thinking about either going something crazy to grant him some pilot skills. First I want to really know what options are available to him other then just a normal horse. I looked a bit found making a cyber horse article, but not much else. Any suggestions would be great.

Horsemanship(gen) is a piloting skill as per the rules the battle magus was written with.

There is the Phantom Horse spell.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

ShadowLogan wrote:Mount Options:
-Dragon Cat (WB12) or Blood Lizard (SA2) or Psi-Ponies (WB14) but these have human-like intelligence
-Furry Beetle (WB20/RMB)
-Silonar (WB14, CB1r)
-Ostrosaurs (SB1o, WB14)
-Dragondactly (CB1r)
-Gryphon (CB1r)

An option might be to use a regular horse and outfit it with Bio-Borg implants (this would be GM's approval). It should also be noted that some race/class options can pull from a larger list because specific creatures call them out as being able to ride them.

I think a few of those would require the Exotic skill, not the General.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Horsemanship:Exotic talks about applying a penalty when using other skills for exotic mounts.
As for the Battle Magus, I'd be cool with either Horsemanship:Exotic as an OCC Related Choice, using the RUE Secondary Skill list where it's an option, or swapping out an Espionage/Military/Physical/WP skill to upgrade Horsemanship:General (+10%) to Horsemanship:Exotic (+20%) (which works out the same in terms of riding horses).
ShadowLogan
Palladin

The Beast wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:Mount Options:
-Furry Beetle (WB20/RMB)
-Silonar (WB14, CB1r)
-Ostrosaurs (SB1o, WB14)
-Dragondactly (CB1r)
-Gryphon (CB1r)

I think a few of those would require the Exotic skill, not the General.

Technically yes they nearly all would require Exotic due to wording in the HS: General skill description. But the description of the Skill for HS: Exotic does allow for the general skill to be in place of exotic at a penalty (this description is in PF2E pg53, RUE pg311-2, the skill is not in RMB-era but when it appears in WBs like WB14 NW pg74or WB5 pg155 with the same note).

Return to “Rifts®”