Tattoo man and Nazca Line Magic

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Tattoo man and Nazca Line Magic

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

I was wondering if it is possible for a Tattoo man to preform Nazca Line Magic rituals?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Tattoo man and Nazca Line Magic

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It says that T-men can not do any other magic then their tattoos.
The same is said with he pattern warriors from the same book as the Line Magic.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

A LLW, Line Maker, or other caster that has learned a Line Drawing ritual can have up to six tattoos and still perform said ritual. A potential back story for such a character would be a True Atlantean born in Manoa who was involved in a cultural exchange program with the Kingdom of the Sun.
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

(SHIFTY) wrote:I was wondering if it is possible for a Tattoo man to preform Nazca Line Magic rituals?

They "can" do other magic? Just clarifying. I have a player in a campaign I am running believing they can and I had told them no due to the limitations of Tattoo Magic.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

edited my last post.

Sorry, I typoed by omission.

it should of read '...can not...'
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:edited my last post.

Sorry, I typoed by omission.

it should of read '...can not...'

Ah ok thank you so much!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

(SHIFTY) wrote:I was wondering if it is possible for a Tattoo man to preform Nazca Line Magic rituals?

yes, if he cuts off enough limbs

I can't believe this didn't occur to me until now guys...

I think I finally figured out how Rama-Set could still cast spells he knows as a necromancer despite having more than 6 tattoos.

This doesn't need any "chaing-ku don't follow the rules!" thing.

No... all you need to do is... remember chaing-ku have 6 limbs in their native form.

Then the solution is obvious: have all the extra tattoos on the 3rd pair of limbs. The ones that VANISH when morph into a 4-limbed being.

Thus: can cast spells in human form (but only use the 6 tattoos he put on his retained limbs) and designate the remainder of his tattoos to be put on the extra pair of arms he only has in dragon-form: he must assume his natural form to use them.

Exceptions: if Rama-Set wants to moonlight as a Rahu-Man then he probably has the option (or mandate) of manifesting his 3rd pair of limbs' tattoos on the Rahu-Man's arms.

If a Chaing-Ku is morphing into some 8-limbed monstrosity like a Jeridu then I'm not suer how that works, if you would have to pick one pair of arms with tats and another to be bare... or split it between them?

What if... Chaing-Ku are so versatile that when they shapeshift they can choose which (if any) tattoos appear in that form (and WHERE).

Only ni their native form would a chaing-ku be forced to manifest all their tats (making magic impossible for Rama-Set) and those tats would be in fixed places...

But once they morph, they can rearrange the placement of those tats, or just make them vanish! yay.

That should probably take some time (maye 1 melee attack to make a tattoo vanish or appear apiece) to do it on the fly without completely reverting to dragon form to reset an entirely new morphed form (I could see making that necessary though, depending if you interpret their morphs as all-or-nothing liek Nightbane or partial-is-fine like Athanatos in Shadows of Light) but it would really help represent how they are masters of metamorphosis, and give Rama-Set full use of both his classes with reasonable time limits required to shift between maximum use of either one.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Axelmania wrote:have all the extra tattoos on the 3rd pair of limbs. The ones that VANISH when morph into a 4-limbed being.

they don't "vanish" they just return to the general mass of the body. so those tatoos end up on their abdomen.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Orin J. wrote:
Axelmania wrote:have all the extra tattoos on the 3rd pair of limbs. The ones that VANISH when morph into a 4-limbed being.

they don't "vanish" they just return to the general mass of the body. so those tatoos end up on their abdomen.

Changing shape is not....
Axelmania wrote:yes, if he cuts off enough limbs
....snip

Yes, I agree that the chopping off the limb with a magic tattoo will get rid of the tattoo....until that limb is re-grown/-placed with biological parts. (if there is a deity (GM) with a grudge it might even appear on cybernetic or bionic limbs)
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Orin J. wrote:they don't "vanish" they just return to the general mass of the body. so those tatoos end up on their abdomen.

Wherever they do end up, dragons have decent bio-regen, makes me wonder how much abdominal flesh needs to be ripped off to have the tat temporarily gone until it regrows.

I don't think Chaing-Ku can explicitly regrow limbs like Hydras or Whiptails though, but it's a weird concept when they switch between 4-limb and 6-limb being easily.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

And here I though this was going to be a simple "Yes" or "No" thread.

I thought Atlanteans couldn't use magic if they had more than "X" number of tattoos. I don't have my books in front of me.
Does that general rule apply to other races as well?
The Marks of Heritage use up three of those slots automatically.

We used the house rule that if you chose a magic profession you couldn't get any more tattoos than the Marks of Heritage. It helped balance out the "power" of doubling tattoo and magic user
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
quatoria
Newb

Unread post by quatoria »

A character can get other types of magic if they have less than 6 tattoos. None Atlanteans don't have to have the 2 marks of heritage as well, so a good back story and GM approval why not let it. I also think the comments from Kevin in the Magic Guide about being a bit freer with access to magic should be considered, PPE is the universal limiting factor in this.

Bear in mind that the negative with tattoos is that if they are not the main source of magic then all tattoos cost double PPE. So a Ley line walker would have to pay double PPE to cast super healing etc. So his 120PPE having to spend 80 on invulnerability etc.

I house rule that people can get upto 6 tattoos because :-
A, They have to find someone to hand them out.
B, Double PPE cost will cripple their other magic use for a while without ley lines.

Return to “Rifts®”