Splugorth Slave Barges and Caravans

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Splugorth Slave Barges and Caravans

Unread post by Warshield73 »

So, apparently the post I was replying to on Splugorth Slave Barges was about 15 years between posts and got locked. I am still interested in people's responses so new thread.

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Talavar wrote:I don't think there's ever been anything official on how Splugorth Slavers actually transport their victims. The barge doesn't seem big enough, or appear to have cells in any of the illustrations of it. I mean, you could tie a number of slaves up & just lie them down on top of the barge, but that seems fairly makeshift.

The floating eyes & the barge itself are equipped with SDC jolt guns, as if to herd captured slaves along, but herding them back on foot, when slavers are penetrating as far as the middle of North America, seems terribly impractical, and would reduce the floating slave barge to a virtual crawl, and an easy target.

I always went with storage lockers in the deck of the barge, each big enough for one slave.

I always did the shackled line of slave's force marched behind the barge until they got to the ship. You have minions in vehicles on both sides of the caravan and this means if your heroes attack the caravan there will be panicky prisoners running around or in potential blast radiuses.

When they get to the coasts, or a major lake or riverway, that is where I have ships from Undersea like the Sea Fin to collect the slaves.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Re: Splugorth Slave Barges and Caravans

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

I think they have hover-cages following along, probably guarded by Kydians. Probably two to six slavers on barges, some 12-40 Kydians, and 8 Altarains per Slaver.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Fenris2020 wrote:I think they have hover-cages following along, probably guarded by Kydians. Probably two to six slavers on barges, some 12-40 Kydians, and 8 Altarains per Slaver.

If they use cages I can see them being TW hover cages probably attached to the slave Barge like a train but for me I just liked the visual of slaves being marched to the sea in shackles and having them running into the line of fire as my PCs attacked the slavers just makes it more difficult.

That would be something that should be created maybe an eylor style hover vehicle, but it is just a cage for the captured.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I imagine that in situations where victims need to be sequestered or performative cruelty is the point that there would be individual cages, shackles, and all that. When it's about shuttling around bodies I imagine each victim gets a zombitron before stacking them like cordwood in a shipping container on a hoversled.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Given that a almost 10' tall creature can submerge itself up to the neck, the below deck area would be 6+ feet. (I always played with the slaves where held in a cargo hold of the barge.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Do the Barges even need cages for their prisoners? I mean this is a society that is also heavy into Magic so...

Couldn't they just dump them into a TW/Bio-Wizard-Device supported Time Hole (as a device it can let them out where it is, not where you entered like in the Invocation/Ritual version). This would be akin to the Wraith Darts in Star Gate: Atlantis and its application of beaming technology.

Use TW/Bio-Wizard Device to shrink them to 6" using the spell of the same capacity (duration is of course an issue), but at 6" tall you can pack in a lot more "slaves" into a small compartment that could go unnoticed (think about the action figures most of us probably had when younger or even might just collect now as adults).

A variety of instant/near-instant Teleportation methods exist they could use to move their collection (granted they could do this an eliminate the need for their Kittani bulk transports to).

Return to “Rifts®”