Jumping the Gun

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GreenGhost
Adventurer

Re: Jumping the Gun

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Nice Man! I like it! :)
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

Well, that depends on where you want them to go. Depending on where you are they can try to get transportation, or try to get supplies and hunker down somewhere. Then you can have them meet survivors and have one of them be a cultist..... :evil:

Have the cultist help out until he/she either meets up with others or has an opportunity to set up the survivors for the zombies (like the happy meals that they are. :twisted: )

Alot of directions can be taken.

In the game i'm running my group finally got to a mall with some survivors after they saw their hopes in the military get dashed as they saw zombies all over Ft Hood. (though they don't know the true secret there. :lol: :twisted: :lol: )
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I imagine most zombies are going to abandon their cars so many streets will be blocked and difficult to manuever through. I suggest reading CELL by Stephen King which deals with a sudden zombie style outbreak. Not his best by a long shot, but its got the "panic in the city" thing down pretty good.

Are the PCs in the flight path from the airport? If so, there are a separate group of PCs currently playing the scenario "Zombies on a Plane" and if they fail, make sure to bring that plane toward wherever your PCs are standing.

It might be fun to whip up some Plane Passengers and have the players play them and duke it out with the zombies above while letting their main PCs look up in the sky as things get weird at 20,000 feet!
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Out of curiosity, are many of you running the games going to feature the cultists early and prominently? I think If I ever run one (have to find players first, grrrr) I'm going to do if for a long time with just slouchers, so that the players think they have a pretty good handle on what to expect, and then introduce a runner to really throw them off. I was reading rifter #4o again last night, and the percentage of runners and especially thinkers are REALLY small, like it was meant that you wouldn't run into them very often (but that when you do, you're so used to dealing with slouchers that it really throws you off your game). I don't believe I would even get to the cultists until WAY down the road, where the pc's accidently happen on one (and maybe the cultist doesn't reveal himself to be one until some appropriate time). Just wanted to get a feel for how the rest of you think you might do it.

*EDIT* I probably should have put this in another thread..sorry. :oops:
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

Kirklyn wrote:So, I decided instead of running a Halloween Dead Reign game, I started it up last night. That way nobody was expecting what was to come. 3 of the 4 players created themselves, four years in the future, and the fourth guy created a derivative of himself.

I started the game at 11:45 AM June 20 in Downtown St John's, Newfoundland. Two of the guys were college students. One had just finished up his BSc and had a lot of medical and biology type skills. Another guy just finished a Software Programming diploma so had a few computer skills. The third guy is a jack of all trades. In real life he has been in the militia, worked on a ranch, has his paramedic training, and works on an oil rig in the comm room. Finally, the fourth guy created an electronics and computer gadgeter who works for a satellite communications company in their IT development.

They had no idea what was going to happen, except for the jack-of-all trades who loaned me Rifter 40 :-)

They were all friends who used to game together and were heading downtown to meet up for lunch before one of the college guys moved to Nova Scotia for the summer. When the Wave hit, one guy was at his downtown office. The two college guys were in a car, and the other guy was walking downtown...

The guys in the car crashed, after failing a driving roll due to the Wave. The guy in the passenger seat got the worst of it when they were rear-ended by another car. Stumbling out they took a few minutes to come to their senses and the guy with the Science degree attempted CPR on a nearby man who was non-responsive on the sidewalk. He got a massive scare when he turned his attention to the lady in the crashed SUV who got out and started lumbering toward them. A hand on his shoulder panicked him even more. He turned to see a passerby asking him how he was, just as the victim on the sidewalk slowly stood up and bit into the passerby's neck and shoulder. The guys ran downhill toward the mayhem of the downtown core.

The guy in the office saw the panic on CNN before the cameras went black. Then saw one of his co-workers attack another co-worker. Scared spitless, he locked himself in his office, only to have his secretary, bloodied and expressionless begin banging on his window facing the rest of the floor. He managed to fight his way out to the stairs to escape the building along with a handful of other people.

The guy downtown saw accidents galore take place and a few people on the streets collapse. Trying to help, a woman in a crashed car and a man who had collapsed on the sidewalk, he got the experience of watching various people be attacked in all sorts of gory detail. As the collapsed businessman stood and attacked the woman he was helping, he panicked and ran down to the harbour, thinking there would be less mayhem down there. He ran toward the sound of sirens, finding a police officer's car and an officer being mauled by someone. He managed to evade the cop's attacker and get into the car, which had the door open and the keys still in the ignition. He grabbed a shotgun and began blasting the policeman's attacker and then turned the gun on the policeman. He has read "Zombie Survival Guide" in real life so I allowed him the knowledge in the game from that.

Now, where to go from here? :-D

you've already killed everyone one newfoundland!!! :p and no one is a fisher man?? well me son, what for da poor mummers?
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Oh yeah can u imagine how many planes came down all over the world as zombies were popping up in the cabins? Heck just the idea of being knocked out for what 30 to 45 seconds could be enough time to cause a plane to go out of control and cork screw into the ground with pilots not having a chance to recover it.

Now having a plane crash downtown would make some wonderful distractions and causing the players to have to go other routes to get out of a city.

While my characters were taking the back roads in Texas, they were at a gas station and before they could try to siphon the fuel a plane was heading straight for them, they fled and the plane crashed into the station. Luck was with the characters as they sped away to safety.

They didn't like me much as they could have used the gas. (thus the plane crashing, just to mess with them. :twisted: :lol: )
velcRomanceR
Wanderer
Location: Being an interdimensional party provider/tour guide, I never know with any certainty where I'll be.

? Re: Jumping the Gun

Unread post by velcRomanceR »

Mike SSN-723 wrote:
Spinachcat wrote:Are the PCs in the flight path from the airport? If so, there are a separate group of PCs currently playing the scenario "Zombies on a Plane" and if they fail, make sure to bring that plane toward wherever your PCs are standing.

It might be fun to whip up some Plane Passengers and have the players play them and duke it out with the zombies above while letting their main PCs look up in the sky as things get weird at 20,000 feet!

Oh yeah can u imagine how many planes came down all over the world as zombies were popping up in the cabins? Heck just the idea of being knocked out for what 30 to 45 seconds could be enough time to cause a plane to go out of control and cork screw into the ground with pilots not having a chance to recover it.

Now having a plane crash downtown would make some wonderful distractions and causing the players to have to go other routes to get out of a city.

:twisted:
The planes are coming down if the flight controllers in their towers are turned into zombies. Those pilots are up in the sky mainly to safeguard the autopilot and satellite synchronization. If all that goes out, those pilots are blind!

Lost, anybody? On a Zombie island of terror?
Nothing is true, all is permitted
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

also zombies are not smart enough to open their car doors and get out. That leaves alot of zombies still seat buckled in their cars waiting for a unsupecting person to walk by and be yanked into a car for a snack. Kinda like those trap door spiders :twisted:

I tried that, but due to a blasted 20!!!! :x on a perception roll, that fell thru. (curses! foiled again! :frust: :lol: ) One of the PCs likes to strip salvage stuff, but i do plan to do this again if he scavenger hunts the car wrecks again.... :twisted:

Return to “Dead Reign™”