I was bitten, why am I not changing?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

I was bitten, why am I not changing?

Unread post by DtMK »

Here's an interesting question that would be interesting for role play. In the Rifter article, it said that it's possible to make a saving throw against being infected if bitten by a zombie. Now, this means there is hope for survival, but in all our minds, it stands to reason if you were bitten, there's no doubt you'll be turned. So what would be an appropriate way to play this out?

If someone gets bitten clearly by zombies and saves, wouldn't the logical assumption by others around the bitten be fear and apprehension that there might be a future zombie in their midst? Will people be trying to 'cleanse' the character at the first sign of sickness, or even if the character falls asleep?

And think of the mindset of the character. If they were clearly bitten once and managed to save, then they could chalk it up to a scratch, and somehow being lucky that it wasn't a deep bite. But if the same character survives two or more bites and never turns due to making their saves, will people think of that character as a freak? Blessed? Someone with a natural resistance or immunity to the virus, thus giving them a false superman complex?

I'm looking at it in a practical, in-game perspective and not just meta-gaming as people seeing that the person fighting alongside them made a 'saving throw'. How do you see this possibility for your future games?
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Re: I was bitten, why am I not changing?

Unread post by GreenGhost »

I kind of like the idea of a Save Against "Turning" idea. I would think though the saving throw target number should be pretty high.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Shoot um.

Unless it's me.. then, er.... lock me up for a week or so till you're sure I'm not gonna change....

But yeah, in a true rise setting... who are we trying to fool? You shoot um and you expect them to shoot you should the situation be reversed.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

GreenGhost wrote:I kind of like the idea of a Save Against "Turning" idea. I would think though the saving throw target number should be pretty high.

And the GM should make the saving throw, so the players themselves won't know if they're going to turn.

8]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

In the early stages of the event - when panic is the course - kill 'em.

After a while, when the Zombies are a little more understood,t he idea that a bite is not a garunteed transformtionmay become known - leading to quarentines of those bitten.

In all honesty, most of the "safe zones" probably have their warriors who go out to fight zombies stay in quarentine for a while after each mission - just to be sure.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Jefffar wrote:In the early stages of the event - when panic is the course - kill 'em.

After a while, when the Zombies are a little more understood,t he idea that a bite is not a garunteed transformtionmay become known - leading to quarentines of those bitten.

In all honesty, most of the "safe zones" probably have their warriors who go out to fight zombies stay in quarentine for a while after each mission - just to be sure.

When we played the Rifter version that what my group did, anybody who went out was quarntined and inspected by the doc, same with any survivors we found.

And anyone bitten was put down at the first sign of succumbing.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:The ability to save is something we went back and forth on (Sanford and myself).

And what side were you on?
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Nxla666 wrote:
Citizen Lazlo wrote:The ability to save is something we went back and forth on (Sanford and myself).

And what side were you on?

I want a really tiny chance to save, Sanford wanted a larger chance.

:demon:

"Ok, your bit, to save you need a natural 20 five times in a row"? :twisted:
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Nightbreed »

When we played the Rifter version that what my group did, anybody who went out was quarntined and inspected by the doc, same with any survivors we found.

And anyone bitten was put down at the first sign of succumbing.

And that is exactly what will happen in my current game as i know my friends very well in these type of matters. (28 days later anyone? :D ) In the words of the Late Robin Harris: "Gotta go, Gotta go!!!!" :lol:
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Mike SSN-723 wrote:Was that the girl that pretty much machetted her friend, took his off clear off before hacking him to peices in the guys parents house?

Thats the movie.
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

I'd remove any save chance, you're bitten...you're dead!! really put the fear into the characters, make them really think about their actions
GreenGhost
Adventurer

CyCo wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:I kind of like the idea of a Save Against "Turning" idea. I would think though the saving throw target number should be pretty high.

And the GM should make the saving throw, so the players themselves won't know if they're going to turn.

8]

Agreed, but they'd know when they start feeling sick. If you want to be really evil you could have a character get sick and everyone may think that he's turning when he's really just sick. :demon:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Id' say a save of like 18 would be good in my games. This way the average character would still have the fear of being turned, but at the same time, if the GM rolled the save, the rest of the group would be conflicted. Do we shoot him or is he really okay. It could make for some good gaming.

Another thing people may want to consider is Alignment. Granted most people would argue that even a Principled person would kill someone who turned and it's possible that they would. However, look at that same Principled or even a Scrupulous or Aberrant character and think about them shooting a loved one or friend who's about to turn. Thankfully, most people have never and will never have to deal with such a thing in real life (minus the zombies of coarse), but think about that best friend or spouse and put them in that situation. Maybe there should be some rule that states whether or not a character that's "close" to a turning/bitten victim would actually be able to squeeze the trigger. The job of "saving" a bitten person by the way of a shot to the head may have to be dealt with by another character in the group. Again, I think this can make for some great Role-Playing. This would show just how real and huiman that the characters are, as well as, reinforcing just how inhuman the zombies are, which would (hopefully) add to the characters' fear of being bitten.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

Personally i like the saving throw as is, i'm considering introducing some false hope by showing some bite "survivors" to see if they think "will they turn?" or "We have to kill everyone here or we're all dead." Sounds like a delightful experiment to pull in my game. :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Tricky
Wanderer

Unread post by Tricky »

The save does throw some interesting dramatic elements into the mix.
There will be those who want to kill people as soon as they are bitten. And that's going to happen alot. What happens when those people meet someone who made the save? "Omg, I killed innocent people..."

Conversely, what if you'd only been around people who saved? And didn't even know bites infect? "OH, he's fine. Just a flesh wound..."

Some people might see surviving a bite as a sign, either of divine providence (God has spared you child...) or the hand of the Devil (The dead serve the Prince of Darkness, and you have been marked as one of them!)

Some people might even think that a bite survivor is the key to a cure, which opens alot of issues, as people try to catch you to be a lab rat!

Game wise, I'm for the save. I know that in practically all zombie lore, bites=death (only instance of bite survival I can come up with are the zombie Sliders ep, the added footage to NotLD, and 28 Weeks Later), but as a GM I hate to not give people at least a chance.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

i liked the resident evil movies (I know a LOT of people did not, but I'm not here to argue that point) EXCEPT when people were bit and they let them live. Ok fine MAYBE in the first movie they want to save the one girl because they are almost to the antidote, ofcourse she changes and attacks them. But come on in the second one, where Alice is much more experienced, she "suggests" that
Spoiler:
they kill the cop even though she KNOWS that he is gonna turn ? Sorry if that was me I would have shot him dead in a second

When I play this game and someone in my group gets bit, depends, if they got bit in the arm and I was able to ommediately cut the arm off. I MIGHT let them live, but if you are walking in front of me along the trail and so much as stumble once, you would be looking at your brains flying out the front of your skull thanks to my shotgun in the back of your noodle. If you were bit more then once, I'd shoot you down, even while they are biting you. If you were bit somewhere main (like the jugular) sorry no wait time for a "save" I'd kill you, and I hope you'd do the same for me because I would NOT want to come back as a zombie and attack my friends/family
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

Agent_gir wrote:I'd remove any save chance, you're bitten...you're dead!! really put the fear into the characters, make them really think about their actions

I agree to a point, I like the idea of multiple difficult saves fighting/staving off the inevitable as, this IS consistant with just about every (Good) Zombie Flick I've ever seen.
The bigger the bite, the harder the save, with each save reducing the PC?NPC's PE attribute by one, untill death and return as one of the Undead. And for pitty sake, I'm getting SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick and bloody well tired of Every one and their mother trying to make these things a matter of 'Pure Science' these days!

I hated that, in the old days of horror, everything was SN (Vampires, werewolves, Zombies, Immortal, Gargoyles, Ghosts, Magic...etc.) and I LONGED fer a little science in my diet as I DO NOT BELEIVE IN SUCH THINGS even though I'm Christian. I only believe in science Period!

When peeps started making movies, TVshows, and comics in which the supernatural was getting explained away as actually being super science (Magic), Mutation (Gargoyles), and Viruses (Vamps & Werebeasts), I was happy as sin about it as the world of Science Fiction FINALLY was getting a little less fictional, and alot more Science, I liked the Blance it brought....
BUT
Now people WON'T STOP! It's Always gotta be science! Not even super science (Magic) is okay. It's all gotta be explaind away as simple common day Cr@p... This is Not what I wanted, I just wanted a little balance is all... Yesh!

As for Vamps & Zombies, explain it like this... Your getting bit by a carrier of a SuperNatural (Think REAL super science) virus. It's job is NOT to retro your DNA, but rather to flat out KILL YOU! When your dead, your possessed PERIOD, as you died, moved on and your Husk is si,ply getting animated. As such, this is why the plauge is sooooo hard to stop, it exists not as a ntural thing, but rather as an unnatural thing. REAL world viruses exist to Feed and Breed, and as such can be restisted... But this is just SUPER EBOLA! It's Not friendly, no real chance to live! It's No better than getting shot by a bullet in the chest and dying of massive blood loss in the old west... You can hold out, but your chance of survival is slim to none.

This things Got to be (at least in part) Supernatural, other wise a REAL WORLD VIRUS would just kill you and leave you dead! There's Nothing logical in saying that it animated your DEAD CORPS as well, and then Further promted you to go on a BRAIN EATTING TIRADE... How's that any more Logical or scientific a thing to play out than outright Magic?

I'm JUST saying, maybe it's about time we stopped playing EVERY PB game like a bunch of people fearful to get nasty! Guns Kill people... Sure you can dodge, and even get lucky in wher it shot you... But there's No savings throw vs. an Actual bullet-and aDodge is not < despite what some people here like to think> a savings throw.
Let's all finally take off the
Kid gloves in a palladium game fer once... K?
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

. wrote:
Agent_gir wrote:I'd remove any save chance, you're bitten...you're dead!! really put the fear into the characters, make them really think about their actions

I agree to a point, I like the idea of multiple difficult saves fighting/staving off the inevitable as, this IS consistant with just about every (Good) Zombie Flick I've ever seen.
The bigger the bite, the harder the save, with each save reducing the PC?NPC's PE attribute by one, untill death and return as one of the Undead. And for pitty sake, I'm getting SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sick and bloody well tired of Every one and their mother trying to make these things a matter of 'Pure Science' these days!

I hated that, in the old days of horror, everything was SN (Vampires, werewolves, Zombies, Immortal, Gargoyles, Ghosts, Magic...etc.) and I LONGED fer a little science in my diet as I DO NOT BELEIVE IN SUCH THINGS even though I'm Christian. I only believe in science Period!

When peeps started making movies, TVshows, and comics in which the supernatural was getting explained away as actually being super science (Magic), Mutation (Gargoyles), and Viruses (Vamps & Werebeasts), I was happy as sin about it as the world of Science Fiction FINALLY was getting a little less fictional, and alot more Science, I liked the Blance it brought....
BUT
Now people WON'T STOP! It's Always gotta be science! Not even super science (Magic) is okay. It's all gotta be explaind away as simple common day Cr@p... This is Not what I wanted, I just wanted a little balance is all... Yesh!

As for Vamps & Zombies, explain it like this... Your getting bit by a carrier of a SuperNatural (Think REAL super science) virus. It's job is NOT to retro your DNA, but rather to flat out KILL YOU! When your dead, your possessed PERIOD, as you died, moved on and your Husk is si,ply getting animated. As such, this is why the plauge is sooooo hard to stop, it exists not as a ntural thing, but rather as an unnatural thing. REAL world viruses exist to Feed and Breed, and as such can be restisted... But this is just SUPER EBOLA! It's Not friendly, no real chance to live! It's No better than getting shot by a bullet in the chest and dying of massive blood loss in the old west... You can hold out, but your chance of survival is slim to none.

This things Got to be (at least in part) Supernatural, other wise a REAL WORLD VIRUS would just kill you and leave you dead! There's Nothing logical in saying that it animated your DEAD CORPS as well, and then Further promted you to go on a BRAIN EATTING TIRADE... How's that any more Logical or scientific a thing to play out than outright Magic?

I'm JUST saying, maybe it's about time we stopped playing EVERY PB game like a bunch of people fearful to get nasty! Guns Kill people... Sure you can dodge, and even get lucky in wher it shot you... But there's No savings throw vs. an Actual bullet-and aDodge is not < despite what some people here like to think> a savings throw.

My reasoning for a Saving Throw is not to be soft, sugar coat the Horror of a Zombie Plague or to "give the characters a chance." The reason I think a Save is logical is that just because a character receives a bit doesn't mean enough of the virus (or whatever causes the transformation into a zombie) got into the character's bloodstream. A Save of 18 (or similar high target goal) simply means that enough of the infection didn't get into the character's system. By all means I'm not saying that the character is "immune" to the virus/plague (and I'm not saying that's what you're thinking), but just that not enough of it got into the character's system. A successful Save would mean that the character was "lucky" this time, but they'd definately get sick. Possibly Flu-like symptoms and not be able to function at full efficiency (normal and combat penalties). If they don't Save... take them out! :D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Steeler49er
Hero

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Yeppers, I know that's what your going after... and that's why I agree with you.
Just but Not "Geronimo 2.0 ". You and I are on the same wave-length here!

Your initial save (although, I'd make it insanely higher a difficulty in MY games as My players tend to roll pretty well <28+>, but 18 fer others is okay) just to see it the Virus takes and ain't bled out, than if, and only if that roll fails should they start needing to make further rolls.

So, in shortand above everyone else, my comment was Not directed at you of all people!

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

GreenGhost wrote:
. wrote:

BUT

My reasoning for a Saving Throw is not to be soft, sugar coat the Horror of a Zombie Plague or to "give the characters a chance." The reason I think a Save is logical is that just because a character receives a bit doesn't mean enough of the virus (or whatever causes the transformation into a zombie) got into the character's bloodstream. A Save of 18 (or similar high target goal) simply means that enough of the infection didn't get into the character's system. By all means I'm not saying that the character is "immune" to the virus/plague (and I'm not saying that's what you're thinking), but just that not enough of it got into the character's system. A successful Save would mean that the character was "lucky" this time, but they'd definately get sick. Possibly Flu-like symptoms and not be able to function at full efficiency (normal and combat penalties). If they don't Save... take them out! :D

I still stand by my no save policy, as soon as I saw that a save was worked in all I could think about was insane powergamers beefing up their PE, or finding other way to get crazy bonuses to safe thuse becoming zombie killing machines, which, if I understand the game concept correctly, would ruin the game
Steeler49er
Hero

Agreed... It looks lik the three of us are on the exact same page (believe it or not).
My possition...
A)This once I am okay with this being a Partely magical virus.B) A Random and very high save to imply that the bite may not have set the virus in proper enough (EI the blood pushed it out, or its rainning and your under water and...etc), but NO mortals PE save will save you!
C) Everone should get a series of deminishing PE saves so as to show differing on set times as the virus kills them. One failure and BLAMO! Insta-turn. People who resist are Just prolonging death and this works for the game to give out false hope (which is a wonderfulling crushing thing you see in most all Zombie movies).

Agent_gir's (AKA- Crazy Irkin Robot Dude):
NO save!

GreenGhost (AKA-Cousin to the Grey Ghost):
Only an initial Wash save of 18, but immunity.

So we all agree that for Once, some players of a palladium game ALL don't want any campy campout CampZilla saving throw=Imunity CaMpYnEss!

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

i give them two choices , I kill them or they leave and come back as one of them , their choice .
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
GreenGhost
Adventurer

. wrote:Yeppers, I know that's what your going after... and that's why I agree with you.
Just but Not "Geronimo 2.0 ". You and I are on the same wave-length here!

Your initial save (although, I'd make it insanely higher a difficulty in MY games as My players tend to roll pretty well <28+>, but 18 fer others is okay) just to see it the Virus takes and ain't bled out, than if, and only if that roll fails should they start needing to make further rolls.

So, in shortand above everyone else, my comment was Not directed at you of all people!

I plan on having the players running regular people, which will, hopefully, keep the attributes and save bonuses to a more realistic range.

Reality Check Characters are fun to run as well.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Agent_gir wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:
. wrote:

BUT

I still stand by my no save policy, as soon as I saw that a save was worked in all I could think about was insane powergamers beefing up their PE, or finding other way to get crazy bonuses to safe thuse becoming zombie killing machines, which, if I understand the game concept correctly, would ruin the game

That's why the GM would need to make sure their players aren't "beefing" their characters up. I agree with you that powerful characters would ruin the game's concept. The GM just needs to keep everything balanced.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

. wrote:Agreed... It looks lik the three of us are on the exact same page (believe it or not).
My possition...
A)This once I am okay with this being a Partely magical virus.B) A Random and very high save to imply that the bite may not have set the virus in proper enough (EI the blood pushed it out, or its rainning and your under water and...etc), but NO mortals PE save will save you!
C) Everone should get a series of deminishing PE saves so as to show differing on set times as the virus kills them. One failure and BLAMO! Insta-turn. People who resist are Just prolonging death and this works for the game to give out false hope (which is a wonderfulling crushing thing you see in most all Zombie movies).

Agent_gir's (AKA- Crazy Irkin Robot Dude):
NO save!

GreenGhost (AKA-Cousin to the Grey Ghost):
Only an initial Wash save of 18, but immunity.

So we all agree that for Once, some players of a palladium game ALL don't want any campy campout CampZilla saving throw=Imunity CaMpYnEss!

I didn't mean to imply that the Save would mean immunity. Just simply that enough of the virus wasn't delivered to the potential victim. Even with a successful Save the character would get EXTREMELY sick though.

LOL! No relations to the Grat Ghost. Just a Marine thing
:P
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Shinitenshi wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:Id' say a save of like 18 would be good in my games. This way the average character would still have the fear of being turned, but at the same time, if the GM rolled the save, the rest of the group would be conflicted. Do we shoot him or is he really okay. It could make for some good gaming.

Another thing people may want to consider is Alignment. Granted most people would argue that even a Principled person would kill someone who turned and it's possible that they would. However, look at that same Principled or even a Scrupulous or Aberrant character and think about them shooting a loved one or friend who's about to turn. Thankfully, most people have never and will never have to deal with such a thing in real life (minus the zombies of coarse), but think about that best friend or spouse and put them in that situation. Maybe there should be some rule that states whether or not a character that's "close" to a turning/bitten victim would actually be able to squeeze the trigger. The job of "saving" a bitten person by the way of a shot to the head may have to be dealt with by another character in the group. Again, I think this can make for some great Role-Playing. This would show just how real and huiman that the characters are, as well as, reinforcing just how inhuman the zombies are, which would (hopefully) add to the characters' fear of being bitten.

I would rather my husband shoot me before anyone else, and vice versa.

I think I'd rather have my wife do the same.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Ninjabunny wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:Id' say a save of like 18 would be good in my games. This way the average character would still have the fear of being turned, but at the same time, if the GM rolled the save, the rest of the group would be conflicted. Do we shoot him or is he really okay. It could make for some good gaming.

I'd never let you get bite, as long as I could help it. Even at the cost of my own life.

Now thats love. :lol:

My wife told me that if she ever gets bit shes biting me, even before she changes. :-?
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Nxla666 wrote:My wife told me that if she ever gets bit shes biting me, even before she changes. :-?

Wel misery DOES love company :lol:
Nightbreed
Dungeon Crawler

My wife told me that if she ever gets bit shes biting me, even before she changes. :-?

Glad i'm never getting married. :wink:
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Nxla666 wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:

I'd never let you get bite, as long as I could help it. Even at the cost of my own life.

Now thats love. :lol:

Man... I'm so... so... sorry. :eek:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321

Return to “Dead Reign™”