Survivor OCC levels question

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Survivor OCC levels question

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

Under the Survivor O.C.C., the rules say that I can start a character's OCC skills at level 1D4 (1-4), to represent the time they did non-survivory things before the Wave hit. But all their other skills (elective and secondary) don't get that same boost. Say I roll a 4. Does that mean that for the purposes of calculating H.P., PPE and a few other things that are level-dependent, the character starts at level 4 or level 1? I assume the latter, and effectively some of their skills just get a bonus (rather than effectively starting at level 4 with most of their skills underlevelled).
plotulus
D-Bee

Re: Survivor OCC levels question

Unread post by plotulus »

The way I interpret the rules is that the Survivor OCC skills for said occupation are level 1-4. But everything else is level one.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I think that means if you become a level 15 survivor you have some level 18 skills?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd rule it as they are actually level 1 as far as stuff like Hitpoints, PPE, etc go. but their OCC skills get whatever % bonus they'd get for being the rolled level. so if the skill gets +5% per level, and you rolled a 4, you'd add a +15% bonus.

if you roll a 1, no bonus.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Eric42
Wanderer

Unread post by Eric42 »

PalladiumBrony wrote:Under the Survivor O.C.C., the rules say that I can start a character's OCC skills at level 1D4 (1-4), to represent the time they did non-survivory things before the Wave hit. But all their other skills (elective and secondary) don't get that same boost. Say I roll a 4. Does that mean that for the purposes of calculating H.P., PPE and a few other things that are level-dependent, the character starts at level 4 or level 1? I assume the latter, and effectively some of their skills just get a bonus (rather than effectively starting at level 4 with most of their skills underlevelled).

What I think was intended is this: Survivors did things before the Wave and thus ought to have some skills be more developed than others. Those OCC skills should be started at level 4, while the player starts at level 1. However, until the player is level 4, those "over-developed" skills won't grow. When they become level 5, they begin to grow again. This is just to represent the growth a character had pre-wave.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Eric42 wrote:
PalladiumBrony wrote:Under the Survivor O.C.C., the rules say that I can start a character's OCC skills at level 1D4 (1-4), to represent the time they did non-survivory things before the Wave hit. But all their other skills (elective and secondary) don't get that same boost. Say I roll a 4. Does that mean that for the purposes of calculating H.P., PPE and a few other things that are level-dependent, the character starts at level 4 or level 1? I assume the latter, and effectively some of their skills just get a bonus (rather than effectively starting at level 4 with most of their skills underlevelled).

What I think was intended is this: Survivors did things before the Wave and thus ought to have some skills be more developed than others. Those OCC skills should be started at level 4, while the player starts at level 1. However, until the player is level 4, those "over-developed" skills won't grow. When they become level 5, they begin to grow again. This is just to represent the growth a character had pre-wave.

I don't see why they wouldn't keep getting better at what they already knew; a lot of those skills are probably still being used, especially and combat skills
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Gerbill13
Newb

Unread post by Gerbill13 »

may be a stupid Question.
i;m in a different timezone frommt gm and dont want to hound him.
how do i lvl up?
i cant find it in the book.

Return to “Dead Reign™”