Necromancers in DR

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kargan3033
Hero

Necromancers in DR

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

Let's say a necromancer from PF/HU/Rifts ends up on DR earth would he be able to co0ntrol the zombies or not since it is an alien intelligence that brought about the zombie apocalypse and would be under the control of the alien intelligence and it's priests/cultists?

Also would the DR zombies be more or less effected by necro spells and spells that affect the undead and in the case of trying to control the DR zombies would the alien intelligence and or it's priests/cultists know/sense the necromancer's attempt(s) to control the DR zombies, also how would the necromancer be viewed by the people of DR earth especially if the necromancer was using his power to protect living people or drive them away from safe havens?
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Necromancers in DR

Unread post by eliakon »

The Zombies do not seem to be under the direct control of anyone.
Even assuming that one goes with the Bryulex origin (which is not canon anymore it is just one of the possible ways) it still looks like they were sort of just 'animated' and left to wander.

Thus if you have something that allows you to control the dead/undead go to it.
Though on the other hand your high PPE is going to look tasty to Zombies, most of the humans are not going to be interested in the nuances of 'I raise the undead but no I was not involved in this really' and sadly most spells are about as useful as everything else in the setting... i.e. they aren't
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Kargan3033
Hero

eliakon wrote:The Zombies do not seem to be under the direct control of anyone.
Even assuming that one goes with the Bryulex origin (which is not canon anymore it is just one of the possible ways) it still looks like they were sort of just 'animated' and left to wander.

Though on the other hand your high PPE is going to look tasty to Zombies, most of the humans are not going to be interested in the nuances of 'I raise the undead but no I was not involved in this really' and sadly most spells are about as useful as everything else in the setting... i.e. they aren't

Thank you for your input eliakon, what do you mean the whole bryulex thing is no longer cannon?, I take it that the world of DR is some what of a magical dead zone?
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

Brulyx was never official canon.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Kargan3033 wrote:
eliakon wrote:The Zombies do not seem to be under the direct control of anyone.

Thank you for your input eliakon, what do you mean the whole bryulex thing is no longer cannon?, I take it that the world of DR is some what of a magical dead zone?

as originally written, the game's zombiee apocalypse was triggered the cult of an evil demon-lord called bryulex. they mixed magic and science to create a universal vaccine, which they got distributed worldwide. they then used a ritual to kill and suck the PPE out of everyone that got the vaccine, with the goal of freeing bryulex from a dimensional prison. the ritual is what caused all the zombies.
the game had rather more BTS like elements as well, with the option for psychics, demons, and other monsters like werecreatures and vampires to show up.
this version is what was teased in the rifter article preview.

as printed, the book is non-specific as to the cause and details of the zombie apocalypse, with several different rumors for Gm's to use as in game speculation. all the bryulex related stuff, like the cult, the universal vaccine, the possibilities of demons and stuff were removed and have not reappeared.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Kargan3033
Hero

glitterboy2098 wrote:as originally written, the game's zombiee apocalypse was triggered the cult of an evil demon-lord called bryulex. they mixed magic and science to create a universal vaccine, which they got distributed worldwide. they then used a ritual to kill and suck the PPE out of everyone that got the vaccine, with the goal of freeing bryulex from a dimensional prison. the ritual is what caused all the zombies.
the game had rather more BTS like elements as well, with the option for psychics, demons, and other monsters like werecreatures and vampires to show up.
this version is what was teased in the rifter article preview.

as printed, the book is non-specific as to the cause and details of the zombie apocalypse, with several different rumors for Gm's to use as in game speculation. all the bryulex related stuff, like the cult, the universal vaccine, the possibilities of demons and stuff were removed and have not reappeared.

I see, thanks for the heads up.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

The ability to control the dead not killed by zombies would still be pretty useful.

Particularly with animals, which don't become zombies even when zombies kill them.

I'm very upset whenever zombies kill horses (TWD, FTWD) so the idea of being able to animate the horse skeleton to trample the zombies in retaliation feels like justice.

Plus I'm not even sure if normal slouchers would be smart enough to attack animated dead. If they can't process a Half-Dead then they'll be even more confused with something fully dead. It'd be like zombies fighting robots.
Osun
D-Bee

Unread post by Osun »

Isn't a dead reign death Priest a necromancer?
Axelmania
Knight

No, necros can actually reanimate dead, merge limbs, etc. Death Priests just know how to offer their PPE and that of worshippers to let zombies feed without killing.
Sohisohi
Explorer

Unread post by Sohisohi »

I don't see why not,
PPE manipulation is a thing in the setting.

Though, I'm pretty sure they don't just control undead willy-nilly. They would have to spend alot of magic to fend off just a small horde, though they would have to purge/use magic anyway just to stay hidden. But, wouldn't zombies just attack magically controlled zombies anyway? Definitely wouldn't want to be a necro in this setting.
Axelmania
Knight

Something like 'Turn Dead' may or may not work, hard to say.

I think you could "animate dead" a zombie AFTER you killed it by destroying its brain though. I don't think you require skulls/heads for animated dead.
Unfortunate Son
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: When the Dead Walk, blare Misfits and kill 'em all.

Unread post by Unfortunate Son »

I'm actually experimenting with this right now. As of now I have Necromancers left alone by the zombies and using animated dead to steal control of them for a limited time. My basis for this being the zombies are in this limbo between animated dead and but don't quite fit in amongst most palladium undead. We'll see how it goes.
Ya... Tact and social skills are not my Strong suit. Now infuriating folks, I am 15th lvl.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Unfortunate Son wrote:I'm actually experimenting with this right now. As of now I have Necromancers left alone by the zombies and using animated dead to steal control of them for a limited time. My basis for this being the zombies are in this limbo between animated dead and but don't quite fit in amongst most palladium undead. We'll see how it goes.

keep us posted on how this works out. It sounds like an interesting idea and I would be most keen to find out how it works, and what issues you find arising in the implementation (as there are always unexpected snags...it would be nice to know what you encountered so I don't have to find them out myself first hand for example)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Could be fun to create your own Mummies and Zombies with magic, arm them, and send them out after the DR zombies.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!

Return to “Dead Reign™”