personal v situational bonuses, nullification v called shots

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

personal v situational bonuses, nullification v called shots

Unread post by Axelmania »

Looking closely at page 37's Inflicting Damage to the Neck or Head under 2. :
    DO NOT include ANY of your character's usual combined bonuses

I notice that it does not say "any bonuses" but simply bonuses which are "your character's".

Perhaps a distinction is made between bonuses which originate from the character (PP bonuses, HTH combat bonuses, WP bonuses, Aim bonuses, Sniper bonuses come to mind as clear examples) and bonuses which originate from other sources? Examples that come to mind:

1) pg 108 the bonus to strike from Tracer bullets

2) pg 118 the bonus to strike from Laser Sights

3) pg 182 the Shouldn't Miss, Point-Blank Attack which gives (with firearms) "+3 to strike when shooting at the head, neck or a specific limb" if the target is within 1 inch (2.5cm) to 2 feet (61cm) and the shooter is stationary and takes aim.

4) Apparently there's no benefit if you're between 2-3 feet (over 61cm, under 90cm). ZOMBIE SWEET SPOT =/

5) pg 183 the Close Range Attack which gives (with firearms) "+1 to strike the head/neck/limb" if the target is within 3ft (0.9m) to 15ft (4.6m) and the shooter is stationary and takes aim.

These bonuses come from equipment or from range, not from the character, so I figure they must still apply.

Without this distinction between character bonuses and equipment/range bonuses, there would seem to be an irreconcilable difference between page 183 giving a bonus to shoot the head/neck and page 37's statement about not including bonuses when hitting the head/neck. So I figure it must only be SOME bonuses (the character's, not his equipment's or his closeness's) which do not apply.

Return to “Dead Reign™”