Question for Dead Reign fans.

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Question for Dead Reign fans.

Unread post by bradshaw »

How important is the story in your game? Is it more fun to play a game that is more based in survival or fleshing out your character through a campaign?
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
Unfortunate Son
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: When the Dead Walk, blare Misfits and kill 'em all.

Re: Question for Dead Reign fans.

Unread post by Unfortunate Son »

I tried survival and found out story is needed for the players to feel like they can win. Also, nice artwork in Hell Followed
Ya... Tact and social skills are not my Strong suit. Now infuriating folks, I am 15th lvl.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

As I have previously said, the story is vital. Because of the intrinsic difficulty of the setting, having a game about "survival" only works as long as there is buy-in from the players. However, without an end goal in sight, they get bored and frustrated pretty quickly and the game falls apart.

As a GM, I tend to create little drop-in scenes for when the campaign is having a lull, and I need something quick to spice things up. These could be combat encounters, reflective scenes, or NPC interaction, but whatever the scene type, I quickly go through these pre-prepared vignettes at a furious pace when I "wing it". The end result tends to be a game made up of random encounters... really adding emphasis to the "random" element. Like a schizophrenic writing a zombie movie.

So, I prefer well planned out stories, as a result.
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

Unfortunate Son wrote:I tried survival and found out story is needed for the players to feel like they can win. Also, nice artwork in Hell Followed

Thank you
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation

Return to “Dead Reign™”