Would the zombies of DR be supernatural creatures?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Eric42
Wanderer

Would the zombies of DR be supernatural creatures?

Unread post by Eric42 »

So, I am trying to combine Beyond the Supernatural into a game of Dead Reign and wondered, for the purposes of stuff from BtS, would the zombies of DR count as supernatural creatures? Think the Mind Bolt psionic from BtS (p121).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Would the zombies of DR be supernatural creatures?

Unread post by eliakon »

Eric42 wrote:So, I am trying to combine Beyond the Supernatural into a game of Dead Reign and wondered, for the purposes of stuff from BtS, would the zombies of DR count as supernatural creatures? Think the Mind Bolt psionic from BtS (p121).

I would personally say that an undead creature that can sense (and consume) life force, has supernatural physical strength, regeneration, invulnerability to most forms of physical harm, and attacks that ignore physics (moan) are a pretty good text book definition of supernatural creature.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I say keep the AR but use it normally as in strike bonuses do apply.
So that called shot 14(+3 for hitting the head?) You hey your pp and wp bonuses or your wp bonuses for modern weapons to make the attempt.
The wonky AR is the only reason i avoid this cool genre
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

It's not the only genre with the issue, several demons in PF also have natural ARs if I recall.

Strike bonuses are only a problem for head/neck shots. Enjoy full use of your strike bonuses when you're wrecking the limbs/body. Once they're immobilized then you can just stomp/club the neck at your leisure to decapitate and then carry the head off and crush it (it takes more time) wherever it's convenient.

If you're worried about death cultists you could just toss it in a river or just really far away from the body, make it too difficult to reunite to bother.

I'd probably just toss the severed heads in a trash bin and then burn them for fuel. If other zombies come they can just go into the fire.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

That impossible to hit head is why i refuse to play DR.
Having less than a 15% chance to kill a zombie is stupid, especially when they call in reinforcements so quickly.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Hm... there should be a strategy for stopping moans done with means other than 'striking' the head...

Like for example... zombies sometimes try to bite you, right?

'Entangle' is a viable defense... which immobilizes whatever is attacking you...

So if you entangled a mouth during a bite attack wouldn't that prevent the mouth from doing anything like biting or moaning?

Since it isn't a strike it wouldn't be subject to the need of a natural roll. You'd just need to beat their pathetic biting strike roll.

Visually I would picture this representing someone grabbing the zombie by the head and forcing the jaws shut.

Offensive grabs works like strikes but I don't think defensive ones do.

All this is about getting a bite. If a GM simply has them doing out-of-char stuff like throwing punches and kicks (they're usually supposed to grab you first, then hit or bite you) you'd need to provide incentive like chopping off limbs or having friends entangle their limbs so biting is all that's left to them...

Even then they might headbutt so you might need to entangle the head first and then the jaw last.

Also does a moan cost an attack to do? I can see them doing it from afar but I think if you surprised a zombie or it was sneaking up on you that it wouldn't moan because it would be focused on attacking. Moaning is like a frustrated thing I think it would do when it's in pursuit and needs help to cut you off.

Return to “Dead Reign™”