Is there a conflict here?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Eric42
Wanderer

Is there a conflict here?

Unread post by Eric42 »

On page 37, the rulebook says that when striking a zombie's head or neck the usual combined bonus's do not apply. What bonuses is it speaking of? I've figured it was talking about h2h/WP and P.P. bonuses.
But over on pages 182 and 183, the book lists rules (and thus bonuses) for zombie close combat firearm rules, adding a +3 or +1 to shots to the head or neck. For some reason this feels like a conflict. Since back on p. 37, it says that only a natural 17-20 can hit, things are even more complicated. Help?
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Re: Is there a conflict here?

Unread post by SittingBull »

Not a conflict. Page 37 refers to aiming at zombie heads at ranges outside of "close combat". When close enough, pages 182 and 183, then bonuses are gained due to the closeness of the target.

Best thing to do. Forget the head. Shoot for the body. Body hits zero zombie goes down TEMPORARILY. If your on the run that's one less pursuer. If your killing zombies, then you now have a stationary head to perforate with lead.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Furry GM brought this up in September: viewtopic.php?f=77&t=144896 seems cornholioprime and SittingBull are of the same mind.

If page 37 is only about long-range combat then wouldn't that mean you don't need the natural 17 to hit the neck or head?

I would kinda like that. Penalize the snipers trying to head shot but make head or neck shots not so impossible for melee fighters.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SittingBull
Hero

I see the conflict now. Like I said though and still say, ignore the head just shoot the body.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

It's hard to guarantee you can inflict 16+ damage in one hit, and that's required to shatter a skull and kill the brain, so depleting the body first makes sense almost universally.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SittingBull
Hero

Well if dead reign point blank rules included point blank damage, then it would be much easier.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

SittingBull wrote:Well if dead reign point blank rules included point blank damage, then it would be much easier.

Absolutely!
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

I ignore that rule. All bonuses apply to all creatures. Zombies individually shouldn't be hard to kill, where you get screwed is when you run into groups of them.
Saustin65
D-Bee
Comment: "If you're not having fun, then what's the use of living for."

Unread post by Saustin65 »

SittingBull wrote:I see the conflict now. Like I said though and still say, ignore the head just shoot the body.

I ask, where can i find point blank damage rules.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Saustin65 wrote:I ask, where can i find point blank damage rules.

Different ones can be found in various books. My favorite version can be found in the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons, on p.18. However Villains Unlimited also has a good set of rules on p.16, complete with knockdown.

Look around, they are available in a few books.
Saustin65
D-Bee
Comment: "If you're not having fun, then what's the use of living for."

Unread post by Saustin65 »

filo_clarke wrote:
Saustin65 wrote:I ask, where can i find point blank damage rules.

Different ones can be found in various books. My favorite version can be found in the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons, on p.18. However Villains Unlimited also has a good set of rules on p.16, complete with knockdown.

Look around, they are available in a few books.

Thanks, i will look in these books.

Return to “Dead Reign™”