Doppleganger vs. Half-Living

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

Doppleganger vs. Half-Living

Unread post by thorr-kan »

So, a Nightbane Doppleganger crosses over from the Nightlands to Dead Reign Earth. He's got 48 hrs to kill his counterpart, return home, or wither away. But a Half-Living has already died, even though he's been resuscitated. Does the Doppleganger need to kill his counterpart?

Is this a freakish stalker flick or does it become a zany buddy movie?
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
flatline
Knight

Re: Doppleganger vs. Half-Living

Unread post by flatline »

I think you could play it any way you like. Just be careful what you let cross over from the Nightbane setting because Dead Reign stops being a victims game if the PCs are no longer afraid to fight the Zeds. If it's easy for them to escape or if they can dispatch Zeds at will, they will no longer be afraid.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

flatline wrote:... Just be careful what you let cross over from the Nightbane setting because Dead Reign stops being a victims game if the PCs are no longer afraid to fight the Zeds. If it's easy for them to escape or if they can dispatch Zeds at will, they will no longer be afraid.

I 100% agree with this statement! The fun of the setting is being terrified by the situation that they have been flung into, and being able to turn into metal, or shoot darkblasts and vaporize zeds takes this away completely. If survival becomes easy, then the game is just a 5-minute round of "How many Zombies do you want to kill tonight? 300? Fine, they die, here is your EXP. See you all next week."
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

His high ppe is guaranteed to get the rest of the party killed.
My character had around 100ppe.
The jerks kicked me out cause I'm a zombie magnet.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Half Living have not died. They have entered comas.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

thorr-kan wrote:So, a Nightbane Doppleganger crosses over from the Nightlands to Dead Reign Earth. He's got 48 hrs to kill his counterpart, return home, or wither away. But a Half-Living has already died, even though he's been resuscitated. Does the Doppleganger need to kill his counterpart?

Is this a freakish stalker flick or does it become a zany buddy movie?

The Half Living is, to quote a famous movie "Not dead yet" or if you prefer just "Mostly Dead"....the Doppleganger needs him to be all the way dead. Thus I would say "freakish stalker flick" (because zombie apocalypse with alien monsters from beyond the mirror isn't bad enough.....)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

having you turned into a Half-Living, your Doppleganger knocks you off completely, but then you come back as a Mock Zombie (and can co-habitate the same planet since you are still not alive) would be interesting

Guessing Dopplegangers are probably immune to becoming DR zombies since they aren't technically human.

Wondering if they might be able to become Plague Zombies per Shadows of Light though.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Dead Reign™”