Gun-toting zombie origins IRL

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Gun-toting zombie origins IRL

Unread post by Tor »

Would any fans of horror novels or movies or comics or games happen to know when the concept of zombies using guns was first introduced?

I think it would be too much of a challenge to go back and find the idea of zombies using melee weapons like shovels, pitchforks, etc but finding one using a gun seems possibly more of a feasible task.

The earliest instance I can think of in depicted media is the 1993 video game "Doom" where you had these guys:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Zombieman
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Shotgun_guy
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_weapon_dude

But come to think of it... Rifts was out in 1990 and it mentioned zombies could use guns so I guess Rifts pre-dates Doom in terms of the idea of zombies using guns...

I expect there must be earlier incarnations of the idea though, like in 80s, maybe 70s or 60s? I'm guessing old horror comics or novels but I'm not sure. I usually tune in for an old zombie flick on Turner Classic Movies but don't recall seeing zombies using guns in movies until the more modern era.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Gun-toting zombie origins IRL

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Tor wrote:Would any fans of horror novels or movies or comics or games happen to know when the concept of zombies using guns was first introduced?

Day of the Dead, circa 1985.
The third installment of Romero's Living Dead Trilogy had a zombie who was a soldier when he was alive, and he retained some of the ability to use guns.
Enough to kill a guy, anyway, although not exactly to shoot accurately.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I'm guessing he wasn't able to reload, right?

Since you need WP skill to reload, the ritual spell Zombies can't do it, and I don't think the Thinkers can either. I bet a Mock Zombie could though. Not sure about Pattern. I guess possibly you could get locked in a pattern of reloading guns and JUST do that. A good resource if a Cultist found them and paired them up with a Thinker.

I don't think reloading ever came up in the Doom games since the soldiers/sergeants/commandos pretty much had infinite ammo and no matter how many times they shot at you it wouldn't deplete the number of shots in the clip they dropped, kinda silly. If they continue the franchise I hope they put in some kind of limit like that (and have some advanced zombies who can do reloads) so you COULD wait them out, but then you get less rewards from killing them. Give them some backup weapon like a knife.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Tor wrote:I'm guessing he wasn't able to reload, right?

Hm.
I honestly don't remember.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I'll have to go find a clip of this, sounds like a wild burst.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

What about that one walking dead movie where they were trying to retrain the zombie? Did they try to get him to use a gun?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Omega6
D-Bee

Unread post by Omega6 »

Dead Heat (1988)

Return to “Dead Reign™”