Books

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Books

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

achsaber wrote:well in Stephen King's The Stand one of the characters loses a patient because he couldn't tell what everything was.I'm not saying it isn't possible just that you need real pratice (like Carla in the Walking Dead show with the zeds).

Literally, I most definitely concur with this. While books and other educational materials will be an effective tool, actual teachers and practicing your newfound skills in a safe environment is a must. Such and such is why an educational system is so vital when it comes to a recovering civilization.

My personal experience with this involves my college years, when a lot of the classes were only offered in online form. Because I had an IT major, I had to work with a lot of computer equipment. However, when you have a lot of your classes online, you miss out on things. You just don't get the full experience when you're missing out on the tactile sensations you receive when using your hands to do the actual work. Typing on a keyboard and using a mouse to "build a computer" just doesn't cut it. And you miss out on actual safety too. Consider that when you are taking a online class involving a lot of hardware, you learn about things like electricity, and how it works, but when you do it in real life, you don't put two and two together and misuse electricity, causing an entire computer to short out and/or possibly shocking yourself in the process. In addition, when you're working with the case of a computer, you miss out on how to remove certain parts of the case, and when those parts are rusty, giving yourself a nasty cut can be dangerous.

During the zombie apocalypse, you must have or at least be able to obtain valid experience with the skills you learn, because if you don't, one mistake can be fatal. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :D

P.S.: Not to worry though, books and educational materials are still a vital part of the world's recovery, so you are on to something ICHIBAN11. Even so, one of the best things my family taught me is "We can only give you the tools; it is up to you to use them."
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

I might game mechanic wise allow a roll of a related skill with a penalty like paramedic having to do surgery, where without the book id just say you couldn't do it or make the penalty huge. Also Id allow people to take skills on leveling if they had the books to start the learning process
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

ICHIBAN11 wrote:What would happen if the book you find has outdated or just wrong information?

The GM and Players would know, but the charecters wouldn't know. Would a penalty be imposed?

I would yes.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Riftmaker wrote:
ICHIBAN11 wrote:What would happen if the book you find has outdated or just wrong information?

The GM and Players would know, but the charecters wouldn't know. Would a penalty be imposed?

I would yes.

I second that. Out-of-date books would still be useful, but could also be based on second-hand safety standards. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

ICHIBAN11 wrote:Most players would buy or try to find books
but could they use them?

Of course they could and it can shatter the skulls of soul-stealers with overheads or side-slap the face. Also works as a good distraction preceding a long-range jump attack.

Although I would like to see some page/cover-thickness based damage rules. A nice thick hardcover dictionary would be better for zombie-fighting than some single-digest Archie magazine.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tirisilex »

If you have a skill and a book on that skill.. I think I would give the player a +5 to skill check.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Tor wrote:Of course they could and it can shatter the skulls of soul-stealers with overheads or side-slap the face. Also works as a good distraction preceding a long-range jump attack.

Although I would like to see some page/cover-thickness based damage rules. A nice thick hardcover dictionary would be better for zombie-fighting than some single-digest Archie magazine.

Yep... books would make useful improvised weapons - as long as they are hard, thick, and heavy. And you definitely don't want to raise a rolled-up magazine or newspaper to a zombie, because he'll tear you a new one in no time. :eek: But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
ronekiln
Wanderer

Unread post by ronekiln »

Having a book on driving a car won't help you much in the middle of a high speed chase. Nor will a book on firearms help you much in the middle of a firefight.

A book on gardening can make a world of difference when trying to grow a garden. The book on firearms may help you maintain your weapon and even help you practice with it much more effectively.

The book on engine repair may not help when you're being over run and desperately trying to start the stalled car before being eaten, but it could be a lot of help when fixing it in a secure garage with no threats present.

The context can make a huge difference in how useful a book can be.
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

Also, for a either chaos earth or a dead reign campaign where you start building up your out post or safe haven, when you have certain long term projects you can use the books to cut down on research time and train up the rescued npcs to perform needed jobs, and start having a stock of experienced characters to draw on when deaths start occurring.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

ronekiln wrote:Having a book on driving a car won't help you much in the middle of a high speed chase. Nor will a book on firearms help you much in the middle of a firefight.

A book on gardening can make a world of difference when trying to grow a garden. The book on firearms may help you maintain your weapon and even help you practice with it much more effectively.

The book on engine repair may not help when you're being over run and desperately trying to start the stalled car before being eaten, but it could be a lot of help when fixing it in a secure garage with no threats present.

The context can make a huge difference in how useful a book can be.

Agreed.

Warmaster40k wrote:Also, for a either chaos earth or a dead reign campaign where you start building up your out post or safe haven, when you have certain long term projects you can use the books to cut down on research time and train up the rescued npcs to perform needed jobs, and start having a stock of experienced characters to draw on when deaths start occurring.

Now this is what books are really useful for. They won't help you when you are in a fast, dire situation (Unless you throw them of course, but that would be counterproductive in the long run... :?), but for training up your survivor group, books can act as a reference for their studies. Of course, this would only reach a certain point - actually doing the work would take over from there. You can use a manual to, say, do work on an engine motor or repair a gun step by step, but it is up to the PCs and NPCs to actually do the work and use what they learned. It's like taking Biology 101 - you can study from the books all you want, but it takes actual work by you, the students, to dissect the frog. :ugh: Patience and safe living conditions are where books really pay off. But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Return to “Dead Reign™”