Parallel Campaigns for Dead Reign

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Parallel Campaigns for Dead Reign

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

I haven't posted a topic on the Palladium Megaverse forums for a while, so I thought I would give it another try. As a result, I would like to ask the people on the Dead Reign forum a question: Has anyone been lucky enough to master any sort of "parallel campaigning" that would involve more than one Dead Reign game, like troupe play or other similar methods? Personally, I think it would be cool to have two or more Dead Reign campaigns (Each with their own localized settings, characters, and plot elements...) "cross-over" like on parallel TV shows in the same universes, like Law & Order,[sup]1[/sup] CSI (Often involving crossovers from other completely separate shows),[sup]2[/sup] and Stargate SG-1 (Such is more of a character crossover style),[sup]3[/sup] particularly for an important mission that needs more than one party to complete. Don't forget to realize that we could take the Doctor Who route and have a sort of The Three Doctors or The Stolen Earth/Journey's End type of adventure.[sup]4, 5[/sup] For those who have done so, or those who can at least provide insight on how to do so, feel free to add constructive thought! :-D Well anyway I have to go, so please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

[1]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_%26_Order_%28franchise%29#Crossovers
[2]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSI_%28franchise%29#Crossovers
[3]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Atlantis_%28season_4%29
[4]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Doctors_%28Doctor_Who%29
[5]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_%28series_4%29
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Parallel Campaigns for Dead Reign

Unread post by Tirisilex »

Careful man.. Your talking conversions.. they dont like that here.. They locked my post up for talkin about Alice from Res Evil
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Got a warning for AngryMan.
Pink lantern was ok though, cause he was faaaaabulous!!!
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Tirisilex wrote:Careful man.. Your talking conversions.. they dont like that here.. They locked my post up for talkin about Alice from Res Evil

:eek: Whoa easy dude... I didn't mean to introduce conversions to the mix - I was just showing examples of how great TV shows did it. Anyway, I am actually interested in how the GMs and players might do it. Your methods are the topic at hand of course! Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :angel:

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CarCrasher »

I also have thought upon this subject! I personally would be interested,but what parts of the world?! What would be the agreed on strength of those vile creepers? Would there be an agreed upon time each month that groups will convene? How will something in my community have far reaching effects in someone else's? Maybe a heavily armoured caravan travels between safe haven communities trades for food and give a helping hand when something big comes up? Maybe a not so nice group is raiding the area or even try and establish a dictatorship and our communities are edge of his "empire" type stuff? Also the topic of house rules becomes a apparent.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The last 3 seem capable of taking on zombies.

I don't think all the combined L+O and CSI shows would stand much of a chance against zombies. NCIS maybe.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

People seem to be missing the fact that the linked examples were attempts to illustrate the use of multiple groups of characters who experience different parts of a single story at different times and from different perspectives.

The easiest way to do this, IMHO, would be to divide the campaign into distinct chapters, with each chapter having a different group of player characters, and probably the same players, unless you provide a campaign log or guide for players who aren't involved in the other chapters.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Tinker Dragoon wrote:People seem to be missing the fact that the linked examples were attempts to illustrate the use of multiple groups of characters who experience different parts of a single story at different times and from different perspectives.

The easiest way to do this, IMHO, would be to divide the campaign into distinct chapters, with each chapter having a different group of player characters, and probably the same players, unless you provide a campaign log or guide for players who aren't involved in the other chapters.

Exactly. My examples were not meant to be used as conversion material to retrofit into a Dead Reign campaign, but in fact to illustrate how TV shows did it. I do not seek to add the storylines of these shows as rules, settings, characters, or otherwise to a Dead Reign campaign - I just wanted to show examples of how crossovers work on TV. The focus here is on how you, the GMs and players of Dead Reign, might do it. So yes, Tinker Dragoon got it right. As for Tinker Dragoon's concept on how to do it, that reminds me of a "troupe play" configuration of role-playing (Not to bring actual RPGs that use troupe-style systems into this mix tape of inspiration of course!), but I like it - I like it a lot![sup]1[/sup] :clown:

CarCrasher wrote:I also have thought upon this subject! I personally would be interested,but what parts of the world?! What would be the agreed on strength of those vile creepers? Would there be an agreed upon time each month that groups will convene? How will something in my community have far reaching effects in someone else's? Maybe a heavily armoured caravan travels between safe haven communities trades for food and give a helping hand when something big comes up? Maybe a not so nice group is raiding the area or even try and establish a dictatorship and our communities are edge of his "empire" type stuff? Also the topic of house rules becomes a apparent.

Good to see you again CarCrasher. Perhaps it depends on the preference of the GMs and characters at hand - campaigns and their respective rules not only need to be practical in a sense, but comfortable for the people involved. But anyway it's good to see you nonetheless! :-D Well I have to go, so please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

[1]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troupe_system

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

My PbP Dead Reign game has three player groups. New York City, Las Vegas, and Springfield Oregon. There has been no cross over yet other then characters seeing the same news reports on TV as the Zombie Apocalypse occurs.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

J.L. Duncan wrote:
jedi078 wrote:My PbP Dead Reign game has three player groups. New York City, Las Vegas, and Springfield Oregon. There has been no cross over yet other then characters seeing the same news reports on TV as the Zombie Apocalypse occurs.

That's a good distance apart.

Just Curious, but how do you see those groups eventually coming together. Plans/thoughts-or are the groups coming together at all?

Since the game is set during the initial outbreak its quite possible one group will get on an airplane and ride it somewhere. Plus there is no telling where they might go on foot either.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

jedi078 wrote:My PbP Dead Reign game has three player groups. New York City, Las Vegas, and Springfield Oregon. There has been no cross over yet other then characters seeing the same news reports on TV as the Zombie Apocalypse occurs.

Since the game is set during the initial outbreak its quite possible one group will get on an airplane and ride it somewhere. Plus there is no telling where they might go on foot either.

Interesting... I like it! :mrgreen: Anyway, is there a personal or business-related relationship between the three groups, or are they unrelated groups? So in other words, I wonder if the three groups know each other, by way of acquaintanceship or more personal relations, such as relatives in another state or good friends who moved away. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
jedi078
Champion

Unread post by jedi078 »

whassupman03 wrote:Interesting... I like it! :mrgreen: Anyway, is there a personal or business-related relationship between the three groups, or are they unrelated groups?

Nope the characters don't know each other. Basically I asked my players where they would like to start out at. I had enough people join the PbP game where I ended up with three groups with 2-3 characters each.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

jedi078 wrote:Nope the characters don't know each other. Basically I asked my players where they would like to start out at. I had enough people join the PbP game where I ended up with three groups with 2-3 characters each.

Cool! It's good to have a large pool of players to work with. Personally I tend to think that good crossover drama occurs when the parties involved don't know each other, but are thrown together into a situation that no one expects, resulting in a dire need for cooperation. Anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Return to “Dead Reign™”