Drained PPE

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Drained PPE

Unread post by Tirisilex »

Can someone live if they have 0 PPE?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Drained PPE

Unread post by eliakon »

Tirisilex wrote:Can someone live if they have 0 PPE?

IF they have 0 temporary PPE they are fine. If their STAT is 0 that is....less clear. The answer there is "Answer is Hazy, ask the GM"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Yes whether it's temporary or permanent. I have not anywhere seen any statement that having no PPE means you die or suffer in any way.

0 chi on the other hand... say goodbye to healing.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

So a trick for having camouflage would be to deplete your PPE for a time. Like in World War Z.. Some kind of concoction that depletes your PPE. Temporarily of Course.
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Still this would be difficult for a Band of survivors to concoct. Some deep down in the ground government facility might come up with this though.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tirisilex wrote:Still this would be difficult for a Band of survivors to concoct. Some deep down in the ground government facility might come up with this though.

So if the Death Priests are playing around with developing magic (channeling the PPE of others and stuff)....why can't someone else be developing alchemy (potion of PPE drain anyone).
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Just get the 'convert PPE to chi' spell, it's level 1 chi magic if I recall.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

I didnt think about Death Priests.. Maybe they could make a Talisman or something.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:Just get the 'convert PPE to chi' spell, it's level 1 chi magic if I recall.

If your game is full magic already, and uses chi, and uses chi magic, that's a logical suggestion...though at that point you probably have better options available AND less need to hide anyway.

Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

I'll use it in my game but it will be difficult to create.
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CarCrasher »

In my games I say PPE is supernatural energy. That's why those creeps crave it. It's also the driving force behind the "human element". That uneasy feeling you get just before someone scares you. Or when you can feel someone looking at you. That is the supernatural energy of PPE. So 0 PPE makes you robotic, removing the "human element". Those are just my thoughts about the subject. Hopefully it helps you!
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

eliakon wrote:
Tor wrote:Just get the 'convert PPE to chi' spell, it's level 1 chi magic if I recall.

If your game is full magic already, and uses chi, and uses chi magic, that's a logical suggestion...though at that point you probably have better options available AND less need to hide anyway.

Not necessarily, a chi mage might only know that spellr or a few others.

An Immortalist could mass-produce these and give them to people so they could deplete all their PPE whenever they liked.

Relying on other magic to deplete PPE isn't reliable because you'd need to have a spell to deplete the exact amount you had left.

1-ppe cost spells like blinding flash could do it... eventually... but they're also kind of a "come get me" beacon.
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

I've been thinking about a PPE Talisman that drains PPE. A Talisman that always keeps Zombies at bay = boring. So a Talsiman that has a Duration would be better.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

You don't really need a duration, just a maximum storage capacity, which all talismans have anyway.

The duration is effectively how long it takes for the talisman to go from empty to full, at which point you can no longer put newly restored PPE into it.

Also leads to interesting bits like people taking stimulants to avoid falling asleep, since sleeping makes PPE regenerate.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

The BTS Spell "Immure Entity" can place any entity into an item. If you were to place a Siphon Entity into a Talisman it could, theoretically, drain PPE from the wearer, and place it into the storage capacity of the talisman (you might also require "Summon Greater Familiar" so that the entity was compelled to fill the talisman, rather than devour the PPE).

However, if the siphon entity did eat the PPE, wouldn't that be the best case scenario? If you are draining your PPE into a talisman, and then wearing that talisman around, the zombies wouldn't see your "glow" but they would see the talisman's, no?
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

filo_clarke wrote:The BTS Spell "Immure Entity" can place any entity into an item. If you were to place a Siphon Entity into a Talisman it could, theoretically, drain PPE from the wearer, and place it into the storage capacity of the talisman (you might also require "Summon Greater Familiar" so that the entity was compelled to fill the talisman, rather than devour the PPE).

However, if the siphon entity did eat the PPE, wouldn't that be the best case scenario? If you are draining your PPE into a talisman, and then wearing that talisman around, the zombies wouldn't see your "glow" but they would see the talisman's, no?

Use the Talisman as a decoy.. Put enough PPE in that thing and it will be shining bright. Attracting mula zombies to where ever you plant it.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Having a friendly Siphon or other entity around could be helpful, they can convert PPE into ISP I believe.
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tor wrote:Having a friendly Siphon or other entity around could be helpful, they can convert PPE into ISP I believe.

A friendly siphon?
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

If your Noro Ghost-Maker friend made one and commanded it to help you, for example.

Since the natural ones tend to be kinda evil.
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Im not familiar with this Siphon stuff or BTS..
wick
Wanderer

Unread post by wick »

Well, in Dead reign world PPE exists and is detectable by undead, but it is not known by humans since there are no mages or psionicists etc... I am sure the last few scientist studying captured zombies were baffled by zombies who have had their eyes, ears, nose, and tongues removed still detecting living creatures. Every mundane attempt to camouflage the living fails. Some attempts to distract the undead work, such as light or noise, but only if there were no life forms in the zombie's PPE detecting range holding their attention ( which is a huge distance ).
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

zero ppe, in Rifts isn't fatal, in heroes unlimited only matters to spell casters but not fatal.

My opinion, zero ppe not fatal.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Even zero chi isn't fatal, just stops you from healing, 0 PPE doesn't even do that. In fact it makes you a less appealing snack to a lot of things, good thing to be.
Unfortunate Son
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: When the Dead Walk, blare Misfits and kill 'em all.

Unread post by Unfortunate Son »

The character would be fine, and able to walk through hordes, but it will only last till they sleep. And would be a rather bad spot to be in for a mage, as they are cut off from a force they think makes them superior. I assign penalties at that point.
Ya... Tact and social skills are not my Strong suit. Now infuriating folks, I am 15th lvl.

Return to “Dead Reign™”