Emergency Medical Units

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Emergency Medical Units

Unread post by Tirisilex »

I was talking to a Pharmacist today about Natural Disasters and if Pharmacies would remain open during such times.. She said most likely the Pharms will be shut down and rather difficult to get into because of their fenced like shades. She did say that the Military would send in Med Tents to help people who need Meds. She said she knew someone during the Haiti Earthquake and they sent in lots of "Med Tents" to help the people via Helicopter. So Military Med tents might be something to think about.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Emergency Medical Units

Unread post by eliakon »

Tirisilex wrote:I was talking to a Pharmacist today about Natural Disasters and if Pharmacies would remain open during such times.. She said most likely the Pharms will be shut down and rather difficult to get into because of their fenced like shades. She did say that the Military would send in Med Tents to help people who need Meds. She said she knew someone during the Haiti Earthquake and they sent in lots of "Med Tents" to help the people via Helicopter. So Military Med tents might be something to think about.

With the games assumptions that the military is more or less totally wiped out, all those field hospitals will be gone. But if you have some survive, they will likely be similar to the set up in M*A*S*H (which after all stands for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

During the early out break there would prob be some MASH stations but were over run later.. Might have some useful loot.
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Even a possibility of a Helicopter..
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

I thought that this link would be useful for getting a picture of the response the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other federal and state agencies would respond to a pandemic on American soil. The link leads to the Kansas Department of Health & Environment, and the content of the link is an extensive PDF document that details how both a US state and the federal government would respond, which you can access here at http://www.kdheks.gov/cphp/download/Intro_SNS.pdf. Such measures would be futile, of course, according to the storyline of Dead Reign, but it would give GMs an idea as to how the government responded. Hopefully, you'll like what you see. :-) An added bonus would be the notion that after the Wave survivors may find leftover medical supplies from the field hospitals set up during the Wave, and the PDF details what each "Push Pack" and other kits would possess. Well I have to go, so please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Tirisilex wrote:I was talking to a Pharmacist today about Natural Disasters and if Pharmacies would remain open during such times.. She said most likely the Pharms will be shut down and rather difficult to get into because of their fenced like shades. She did say that the Military would send in Med Tents to help people who need Meds. She said she knew someone during the Haiti Earthquake and they sent in lots of "Med Tents" to help the people via Helicopter. So Military Med tents might be something to think about.

I would agree with you in that regard if you are talking about a junkie looking to score, or even a group of thieves looking to make big money by stealing the drugs and selling them.

However in Dead Reign there are no alarms going off with police on the way. You would have plenty of time to break in and could bring cutting torches and things like that.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Razzinold wrote:

I would agree with you in that regard if you are talking about a junkie looking to score, or even a group of thieves looking to make big money by stealing the drugs and selling them.

However in Dead Reign there are no alarms going off with police on the way. You would have plenty of time to break in and could bring cutting torches and things like that.

If I remember correctly, I read in a Day by Day Armageddon novel about the protagonist trying to break into such a pharmacy. The fun part was that all it took was to jimmy the lock on the door (Not sure which one - maybe the loading dock?) with brute force and something to gain leverage with. He didn't have cutting torches or heavy equipment like that, just something to break the lock with. Afterwards, he jury-rigged the door with zip ties and the like to keep the zombies out while he went "shopping." :mrgreen: Personally, I thought that was interesting, although the zip tie trick was questionable to say the least - I don't think that it could keep a horde of zombies out. Does anyone here know if such a method would work in real life? Should it work in real life, it would make a Dead Reign game more realistic, although doing so would be difficult. Well I have to go, so please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Razzinold
Hero

whassupman03 wrote:Hello...

Razzinold wrote:

If I remember correctly, I read in a Day by Day Armageddon novel about the protagonist trying to break into such a pharmacy. The fun part was that all it took was to jimmy the lock on the door (Not sure which one - maybe the loading dock?) with brute force and something to gain leverage with. He didn't have cutting torches or heavy equipment like that, just something to break the lock with. Afterwards, he jury-rigged the door with zip ties and the like to keep the zombies out while he went "shopping." :mrgreen: Personally, I thought that was interesting, although the zip tie trick was questionable to say the least - I don't think that it could keep a horde of zombies out. Does anyone here know if such a method would work in real life? Should it work in real life, it would make a Dead Reign game more realistic, although doing so would be difficult. Well I have to go, so please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

I suppose it all depends on what type of doors they have, and is it an independent building or is it one of the ones inside a Walmart or something like that.

As for the doors themselves.

At my factory we have 8 of the roll up style loading bay doors, they are dock level not ground level so if you were to try and pry one you would have to at least back a pickup truck to it so you have something to stand on.

The man sized door that leads into the building is metal, opens out so you would have to try and pry open and couldn't smash in, and it is the type of door that can only be opened from the inside (no lock to smash open). The mechanism inside is the kind were you push the bar in to release the catch so I would imagine it would hold up pretty well against prying.

That being said you could go to one of our other doors that have glass, or a window, but we are a factory and not a pharmacy so they probably only have the front door and back door.

How about the roof, depending on what type it is.

I remember in one book I read this guy broke into a gun store by going up on the roof and night, cleared away the gravel/shingles and smashed through the wood. Obviously the alarm went off but when the cops came, they circled the whole building saw no signs of entry and left. Then he dropped inside, grabbed a few things and bolted out the door before the cops showed up again.

Since there are no cops, and possibly no power, we won't have to worry about alarms going off. Also zombies may not be smart enough to get up on the roof and find the whole and all your doors and windows remain secure.
JimmyB
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have been gaming since 1977 and GMing since 1986.
If its an RPG or has minis, Its here somewhere.

Unread post by JimmyB »

Well, by the time we have a Post Apocalypse , I am sure NEMA will be ready with plenty of Meds.
Peace Keepers know about more than just shooting guns. :D

tee hee
Jimmy B aka Beatleguise
Gaming in the Verse.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Razzinold wrote:I suppose it all depends on what type of doors they have, and is it an independent building or is it one of the ones inside a Walmart or something like that.

At my factory we have 8 of the roll up style loading bay doors, they are dock level not ground level so if you were to try and pry one you would have to at least back a pickup truck to it so you have something to stand on.

The man sized door that leads into the building is metal, opens out so you would have to try and pry open and couldn't smash in, and it is the type of door that can only be opened from the inside (no lock to smash open). The mechanism inside is the kind were you push the bar in to release the catch so I would imagine it would hold up pretty well against prying.

That being said you could go to one of our other doors that have glass, or a window, but we are a factory and not a pharmacy so they probably only have the front door and back door.

I remember in one book I read this guy broke into a gun store by going up on the roof and night, cleared away the gravel/shingles and smashed through the wood. Obviously the alarm went off but when the cops came, they circled the whole building saw no signs of entry and left. Then he dropped inside, grabbed a few things and bolted out the door before the cops showed up again.

Since there are no cops, and possibly no power, we won't have to worry about alarms going off. Also zombies may not be smart enough to get up on the roof and find the whole and all your doors and windows remain secure.

Really, I wouldn't know much about how the doors actually work - I just read a good part of those novels. :-) But anyway, that thing about the gun store is clever! I don't support crime, but I think that we underestimate (And overestimate in some cases - the guy who tried to rob a police convention was one of my favorites... :lol:) the cleverness of criminals worldwide, unfortunately of course. Still, in the Dead Reign universe law enforcement and power for security systems are gone, so response is a mute point - heck I think that survivors in some police departments would do so themselves! Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Razzinold
Hero

Razzinold wrote:I suppose it all depends on what type of doors they have, and is it an independent building or is it one of the ones inside a Walmart or something like that.

Really, I wouldn't know much about how the doors actually work - I just read a good part of those novels. :-) But anyway, that thing about the gun store is clever! I don't support crime, but I think that we underestimate (And overestimate in some cases - the guy who tried to rob a police convention was one of my favorites... :lol:) the cleverness of criminals worldwide, unfortunately of course. Still, in the Dead Reign universe law enforcement and power for security systems are gone, so response is a mute point - heck I think that survivors in some police departments would do so themselves! Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

I'm not an advocate of crime either, but I too thought it was a cool way to break in.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Razzinold wrote:I'm not an advocate of crime either, but I too thought it was a cool way to break in.

Yeah, it's a cool way to break in. Getting back to Dead Reign, I have a question for all the Dead Reigners here. Right now, I wonder how one could break into a hospital to scavenge medical supplies and get out safely with a population of zombies both within the hospital and in the surrounding neighborhood. How could one or a party of survivors do it? Doing so depends on whether it's a M.A.S.H.-style field hospital or a pre-Wave civilian hospital facility of course, but I still wonder how it could be done. I'm sure that even after the Wave plenty of medical supplies would be left over from the relief effort, but I am kind of stumped on how it could be pulled off successfully. So anyway, how would the people on this thread do it? Anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Razzinold
Hero

Razzinold wrote:I'm not an advocate of crime either, but I too thought it was a cool way to break in.

Yeah, it's a cool way to break in. Getting back to Dead Reign, I have a question for all the Dead Reigners here. Right now, I wonder how one could break into a hospital to scavenge medical supplies and get out safely with a population of zombies both within the hospital and in the surrounding neighborhood. How could one or a party of survivors do it? Doing so depends on whether it's a M.A.S.H.-style field hospital or a pre-Wave civilian hospital facility of course, but I still wonder how it could be done. I'm sure that even after the Wave plenty of medical supplies would be left over from the relief effort, but I am kind of stumped on how it could be pulled off successfully. So anyway, how would the people on this thread do it? Anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

Without taking about a specific hospital, just hospitals in general, I guess I might approach it the same way I would the pharmacy.

I would go in through the loading area, have some people create a diversion up front while we do it.

Maybe not the whole live bait scenario, but maybe dash in light a few fires and dash out.

Once inside, it all depends on how new or old the hospital is, does it have the old dumbwaiters still intact, large laundry chutes to try and climb, although that would be noisy as heck.

I still think the loading area would be the best bet, I know there are small store rooms on each floor/ward for stuff they use a lot of every day but there has to be a main storehouse where everything else is kept. I'm sure it's kept in the loading area/basement storage area, however it will be locked up so that will be more noise made breaking in to that.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Razzinold wrote:Without taking about a specific hospital, just hospitals in general, I guess I might approach it the same way I would the pharmacy.

I would go in through the loading area, have some people create a diversion up front while we do it.

Maybe not the whole live bait scenario, but maybe dash in light a few fires and dash out.

Once inside, it all depends on how new or old the hospital is, does it have the old dumbwaiters still intact, large laundry chutes to try and climb, although that would be noisy as heck.

I still think the loading area would be the best bet, I know there are small store rooms on each floor/ward for stuff they use a lot of every day but there has to be a main storehouse where everything else is kept. I'm sure it's kept in the loading area/basement storage area, however it will be locked up so that will be more noise made breaking in to that.

Thank you for sharing your ideas Razzinold, I really appreciate it. :-) Anyway, I tend to think that hospitals are good not just for the medical supplies, but they also store a lot of other goods, and anything that can be found in the gift shop, break rooms, and the cafeteria can be useful. Improvised weapons can be obtained from surgical tools, utility rooms, and in some cases I would believe that there may also be axes inside (Possibly for firefighters to use...). Hospitals could also be used as sources of scientific equipment for Zombie Researchers to obtain - they would be the perfect place to find the various restraints, surgical tools, lights, and other things to dissect a zombie (Especially if the hospital has a psych ward and a substantial morgue, which I would think that it often does...). Most of what the survivors have to worry about is getting in and out safely, and defending themselves against any stray zombies still residing in the facility. So please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Razzinold wrote:

whassupman03

I'm not an advocate of crime either, but I too thought it was a cool way to break in.

While it would work in a world with no police and power.

It would in the real world just be another footnote in amazingly stupid criminal annuals (unless your jurisdiction has very lazy police).
The police don't just circle around and then go away if they get an alarm (especially a gun store) and can't get in, they get on the call list and get a hold of somebody that will let them in (other jurisdictions have another keys used way in but not going to let that cat out of the bag).
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Gamer wrote:
Razzinold wrote:

The man sized door that leads into the building is metal, opens out so you would have to try and pry open and couldn't smash in, and it is the type of door that can only be opened from the inside (no lock to smash open). The mechanism inside is the kind were you push the bar in to release the catch so I would imagine it would hold up pretty well

whassupman03

While it would work in a world with no police and power.

It would in the real world just be another footnote in amazingly stupid criminal annuals (unless your jurisdiction has very lazy police).
The police don't just circle around and then go away if they get an alarm (especially a gun store) and can't get in, they get on the call list and get a hold of somebody that will let them in (other jurisdictions have another keys used way in but not going to let that cat out of the bag).

We are not talking our present condition we are talking a zombie out break.. How hard will it be if this apocalypse happens not how hard it would be if it were today.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Tirisilex wrote:We are not talking our present condition we are talking a zombie out break.. How hard will it be if this apocalypse happens not how hard it would be if it were today.

Okey-dokey... but without power or even backup generators to supply emergency power, medical facilities will likely be as vulnerable as most places, and often deadlier with residual zombie populations from the initial parts of the Wave. But of course, one thing to remember here is that if you are heading into any place post-Wave whether medical in nature or not, you have to be able to lock the building up tight so that it's secure until you have to leave. You would feel stupid if you broke into some place holding the mother lode that's relatively secure and forgot to lock the doors and block the windows, and you would likely start to crave the taste of brains afterwards. :P That's one thing to remember when you are a survivor of the zombie apocalypse. Anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Smlawrence8 »

Actually the Army uses Cashs now. Its more equipped than the previous MASHs. It would be a nearly full scale mobile hospital.

On another side note.. A hospital would not be a terrible place to use as a base. Given that a multi floor hospital has usually only elevators and then limited stairs, you could easily block up the stair wells to the first floor or two and then clear the rest one floor at a time. With the equipment and supplies at your disposal you could easily turn it into a functioning command base... Though maybe not with DR Zeds
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
JimmyB
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have been gaming since 1977 and GMing since 1986.
If its an RPG or has minis, Its here somewhere.

Unread post by JimmyB »

Just some clarity. As I agree a Military Mobile Hospital would be a very good place to be.

Their is nothing new in the modern Medical Units.
I was in the last MASH unit when it was dissolved.

The only thing that changed, was the designation of the unit.
The actual equipment (ie the Hospital) Is still called a M.A.S.H. unit.
And it is 100% self sustained using generators and is environmentally
sealed when set up. And a unit that knows what they are doing can
set it up in about 15 minutes.

A single OR Unit is a 3 million dollar piece of equipment. And takes only
about 4 minutes to set up.
Jimmy B aka Beatleguise
Gaming in the Verse.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Smlawrence8 wrote:Actually the Army uses Cashs now. Its more equipped than the previous MASHs. It would be a nearly full scale mobile hospital.

On another side note.. A hospital would not be a terrible place to use as a base. Given that a multi floor hospital has usually only elevators and then limited stairs, you could easily block up the stair wells to the first floor or two and then clear the rest one floor at a time. With the equipment and supplies at your disposal you could easily turn it into a functioning command base... Though maybe not with DR Zeds

While I believe that hospitals would be quite vulnerable in some ways, with some work, I believe as you do that it is plausible to turn them into good safe houses. If I remember correctly, Dead Reign canon has most of the hospitalized zombies leaving the hospitals after the Wave hit, which means that they may either have only residual undead populations or if adventurers are very lucky - no zombies at all. Hospitals have a lot of the machinery necessary to survive, including full kitchens, generators, medical equipment, rooms with beds that can be used as temporary sleeping areas, garages, and perhaps even helipads. But they must be made operational once again - generators would probably need fuel and servicing, while the kitchen would need to supplement what food stores it has left, and other tasks of such caliber - including a lot of cleaning, because when the Wave hit it was chaos in there. Medical supplies would probably be plentiful though, and there would be plenty of supplies related to hospitality (Not hospitalization - I mean things like toiletries, bedding, even recreation items - and the facilities to support them... :-)). You would still have to put a lot of priority into securing the facility against zombie swarms though (Like any place... :wink:) - what can be called a safe house may turn into a slaughterhouse if the building is unsecured. Do take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

ICHIBAN11 wrote:The US Navy also have two Hospital ships. Depending on the GM's timeline they could either be out to sea or still in port.

Going by the timeline presented in The Rifter (And assuming that the first effects of the Wave hit in July 2012), I've been able to discertain that the USNS Mercy was in Southeast Asia for Operation Pacific Partnership 2012, first arriving in Subic Bay in the Philippines on July 2nd and then heading to Vietnam and Cambodia for the provision of humanitarian relief later in the month.[sup]1, 2[/sup] The USNS Comfort, assuming that its location was the same as it was in May 2012, was docked at Canton Pier in Baltimore, preparing for Operation Continuining Promise 2013, an operation that ironically was cancelled in the real world, mirroring the possible result of the Wave as the ship would likely be recalled back to American waters.[sup]3, 4[/sup] Just providing some insight ICHIBAN11. :-) Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good afternoon.

whassupman03 8)

[1]: Source: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/222283/after-samar-us-hospital-ship-docks-in-subic
[2]: Source: http://www.cpf.navy.mil/news.aspx/030034
[3]: Source: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=67425
[4]: Source: http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130325/NEWS/303250041/Navy-cancels-five-deployments-set-April

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

ICHIBAN11 wrote:I've looked it up on Wiki, but here are civilian hospital ships as well ones from other navies. any of those could be in port or enroute to where ever the game is set.

Its hard to find, but there was an airplane that was a mobile opitical suregury (sorry I can't can't spell) station.

Wiki also mentionted small squad sized teams of surgens that are forward deployed close to the combat zone. It's not a full hospital but the PC's could run into an abandoned station or a team.

Not that it might happen in America during the Wave, but in countries like China, India, and Russia there are also special hospital trains that roam the railways of those countries, in which most of the said railways are state-run.[sup][1][/sup] These trains act as roving hospitals, which treat patients throughout frontier regions like Siberia in Russia for instance. Such a concept would possibly be useful in a campaign based on the rest of world, as Dead Reign Sourcebook 5: Graveyard Earth would present. Anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

[1]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital_train

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

JimmyB wrote:Just some clarity. As I agree a Military Mobile Hospital would be a very good place to be.

Their is nothing new in the modern Medical Units.
I was in the last MASH unit when it was dissolved.

The only thing that changed, was the designation of the unit.
The actual equipment (ie the Hospital) Is still called a M.A.S.H. unit.
And it is 100% self sustained using generators and is environmentally
sealed when set up. And a unit that knows what they are doing can
set it up in about 15 minutes.

A single OR Unit is a 3 million dollar piece of equipment. And takes only
about 4 minutes to set up.

The CaSH I was in was one of the last MASH units, but I dont think it was last. From my understanding we got some nice upgrades in the next few years after swapping over to CaSH....

Smlawrence8 wrote:Actually the Army uses Cashs now. Its more equipped than the previous MASHs. It would be a nearly full scale mobile hospital.

While I believe that hospitals would be quite vulnerable in some ways, with some work, I believe as you do that it is plausible to turn them into good safe houses. If I remember correctly, Dead Reign canon has most of the hospitalized zombies leaving the hospitals after the Wave hit, which means that they may either have only residual undead populations or if adventurers are very lucky - no zombies at all. Hospitals have a lot of the machinery necessary to survive, including full kitchens, generators, medical equipment, rooms with beds that can be used as temporary sleeping areas, garages, and perhaps even helipads. But they must be made operational once again - generators would probably need fuel and servicing, while the kitchen would need to supplement what food stores it has left, and other tasks of such caliber - including a lot of cleaning, because when the Wave hit it was chaos in there. Medical supplies would probably be plentiful though, and there would be plenty of supplies related to hospitality (Not hospitalization - I mean things like toiletries, bedding, even recreation items - and the facilities to support them... :-)). You would still have to put a lot of priority into securing the facility against zombie swarms though (Like any place... :wink:) - what can be called a safe house may turn into a slaughterhouse if the building is unsecured. Do take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

The actual real problem with setting up shop in a hospital is the fact that they are generally in the middle of cities. I would actually recommend checking out large manufacturing plants in the are you are from. I work in the Hyundai plant and not only do they have the supplies to have the plant run without energy, but LARGE plants have cafeterias and small medical clinics. PLus they have a tendency to not be in the dead center of populated areas.
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Smlawrence8 wrote:The actual real problem with setting up shop in a hospital is the fact that they are generally in the middle of cities. I would actually recommend checking out large manufacturing plants in the are you are from. I work in the Hyundai plant and not only do they have the supplies to have the plant run without energy, but LARGE plants have cafeterias and small medical clinics. PLus they have a tendency to not be in the dead center of populated areas.

You're quite right Smlawrence8. One interesting little tidbit about some major manufacturing facilities is Boeing's Everett Factory. Home of the 747, the 767, the 777, and the 787, it is positioned at Paine Field, an airfield in Washington State, and is said to be the largest building in the world. Although located near a major metropolitan area, the facility includes cafeterias for the entire workforce, six Tully's coffee shops, employee service centers, an observation deck, and other amenities.[sup]1[/sup] I reckon that there are plenty of medical facilities as well. Without forgetting, since it is located at an airfield, it is sure to have access to the airfield facilities as well, adding to its resources post-Wave, such as food, fuel, transportation, and other things.[sup]2[/sup] But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

[1]: Source: http://www.boeing.com/boeing/commercial/facilities/index.page
[2]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paine_Field

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Not only that... Remember there are really only two resources you wont have easy access to when the apocalypse hits....Fuel and metal. Everything else can easily be worked out. Manufacturing plants offer many types of these items in differing forms. Fuel can be fixed with a few types of adjustments... but metal is just hard as hell to get when things are trying to eat you.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Smlawrence8 wrote:Not only that... Remember there are really only two resources you wont have easy access to when the apocalypse hits....Fuel and metal. Everything else can easily be worked out. Manufacturing plants offer many types of these items in differing forms. Fuel can be fixed with a few types of adjustments... but metal is just hard as hell to get when things are trying to eat you.

I'm just curious; why did you mention metals? Not to razz you but I'm not sure what you mean by that. :clown: But yes, fuel requirements can be mitigated rather easily after the Wave. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Smlawrence8 wrote:Not only that... Remember there are really only two resources you wont have easy access to when the apocalypse hits....Fuel and metal. Everything else can easily be worked out. Manufacturing plants offer many types of these items in differing forms. Fuel can be fixed with a few types of adjustments... but metal is just hard as hell to get when things are trying to eat you.

I'm just curious; why did you mention metals? Not to razz you but I'm not sure what you mean by that. :clown: But yes, fuel requirements can be mitigated rather easily after the Wave. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

Metals are something that have to be mined and refined. You dont have a lot of time to do things like that... You will need metals to make and repair tools. Ensuring a solid metal supply after you are settled is a must. In addition it is a great way to great small barricades. :)
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Smlawrence8 wrote:Metals are something that have to be mined and refined. You dont have a lot of time to do things like that... You will need metals to make and repair tools. Ensuring a solid metal supply after you are settled is a must. In addition it is a great way to great small barricades. :)

Well that's true, unless you are in a truly isolated area and protected by a large contingent of defenders and associated defenses. :-) That's why I tend to believe that Alaska and other areas in the north would be effective safe havens. One of the campaign ideas I have been toying with involves Alaska as the last part of the United States left in somewhat good condition. Natural resources are abundant (Including metals...), though an actual industrial base may be lacking, so they would send expeditions to CONUS and other regions to acquire machine tools, refinery equipment, farm machinery, war material, surviving specialists, etc. Elements of these operations would involve the Wright-Patterson Airlift in some form or another (Using a combination of military and civilian aircraft...[sup]1[/sup]), as well as side operations, such as one using rescued ferries and other such ships from Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska.[sup]2, 3, 4[/sup] Heck, they might even have a good number of surviving military units there, possibly reaching quasi-brigade strength (Good handwaving and reasoning applied of course...)! Alaska could become America's last best hope. But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :D

[1]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Airlines
[2]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_State_Ferries
[3]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Ferries
[4]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Marine_Highway

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Return to “Dead Reign™”