Inuit and SNOW vs Zombies

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Inuit and SNOW vs Zombies

Unread post by Tor »

Well, not just them, but anybody in a cold climate like northern Canada, Alaska, Russia, Greenland, etc.

How do all these people fare? Did they do better because zombies get slowed down in cold but we are less slowed since we can insulate ourselves?

Do igloos help to hide our body heat from thermal vision? Can PPElight be seen through them? Have thinkers figured out how to use snow shoes or ice picks to traverse terrain traps? Are humans intentionally making ice thin so zombies will fall through it?

How much would snowball damage be reduced when hitting a zombie? I want to know if it's feasible for a snowball to do damage to a neck or head. APS Ice guys from HU might want to know too.

It's probably rough since those guys up north can't get their fuel resupplied and would have to switch to things like cutting wood to keep warm, would would make them vulnerable to any wandering zombies.

Not to mention, since zombies are prone to sinking in snow, or perhaps lying down on the ground and going inactive and then getting snow-on-top-of, you could walk right on top of one without knowing until they grab your ankle. On the plus side, if you're out getting lumber or dinner, you're bound to have weapons on hand, there's little reason to go out in the snowy wilderness unarmed, right? Except maybe to evacuate one's bladder.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Inuit and SNOW vs Zombies

Unread post by CarCrasher »

The inside of igloos is actually warmer then you would think. No thermal vision can not see through igloos as the snow and ice has its own thermal profile. From the view of the front thermal would pick up the door as the heat generated inside the igloo from sources inside would be visible. The inside of a well used igloo is like ice. However its shape can be seen depending on proximity. Ice blocks are used in construction of the igloos to allow daily natural light in. So an igloo lit up inside during the night will be visible with naked eye if bright lights are used. PPE is not a radiant light so a ruling in my game would be no can not be seen like that however the translucent effect of ice would allow the PPE of someone standing up pressed against the ice to be seen.
I would not say a thinker would figure out the snow show but perhaps an ice pick and likely only as a weapon and not a tool. Snow shoes are actually only useful in snow that is ankle deep. Terrain traps are difficult to manufacture in snow and ice but can be done. Snowballs would likely not be worth using as a weapon but on the other hand iceballs and blocks would most likely be effective weapons.
Depending on how far north you go tress are not readily available but thats the tundra and survival there is extremely difficult for humans but the further north you go the trees get smaller and more useless. As for fuel wood can replace gasoline in most instances. It's called a gasifier. Wood placed in a metal jerry can or another simular metal vessel placed with a hose where the lid goes and the vessel placed over a fire the othet end of the hose placed over the gasoline tank hole of an engine will make the engine run. The gas is toxic so use only in ventilated areas.
Alas waste evacuation is humanities weakest link so you will always be vulnerable unless you have someone watching your back.
Hope some of what I said is helpful to your games.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I would say snow is a very double edged sword. Yes it is harder for the Zombies to move in, but it provides many more places for them to hide. A cold climate, having its own dangers to human health, also slows the decay of the Zombies, potentially making it harder to differentiate them from the living at a glance.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Tor wrote:Well, not just them, but anybody in a cold climate like northern Canada, Alaska, Russia, Greenland, etc.

How do all these people fare? Did they do better because zombies get slowed down in cold but we are less slowed since we can insulate ourselves?

Do igloos help to hide our body heat from thermal vision? Can PPElight be seen through them? Have thinkers figured out how to use snow shoes or ice picks to traverse terrain traps? Are humans intentionally making ice thin so zombies will fall through it?

How much would snowball damage be reduced when hitting a zombie? I want to know if it's feasible for a snowball to do damage to a neck or head. APS Ice guys from HU might want to know too.

It's probably rough since those guys up north can't get their fuel resupplied and would have to switch to things like cutting wood to keep warm, would would make them vulnerable to any wandering zombies.

Not to mention, since zombies are prone to sinking in snow, or perhaps lying down on the ground and going inactive and then getting snow-on-top-of, you could walk right on top of one without knowing until they grab your ankle. On the plus side, if you're out getting lumber or dinner, you're bound to have weapons on hand, there's little reason to go out in the snowy wilderness unarmed, right? Except maybe to evacuate one's bladder.

A good reference for at least some of your needs may be in the "Turning the Tide" chapter of novel World War Z, specifically in the Sand Lakes Provincial Wilderness Park segment. It really outlines the difficulties of evacuating up north to escape the zombie hordes, and you may find it useful. But basically, it outlines how things can go from good to bad, and from bad to worse. :twisted: Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

I propose that low-tech people like the Inuit, secluded in distant locales, would have been largely UNAFFECTED by The Wave in the first place, since they probably wouldn't have taken Altrucure in any great quantities, if at all.

Also, the very nature of the heavy, heavy coverings worn by them would have made most of them largely immune to the attacks of any straggler zombies in the first place.

A double-edged sword in the Inuit peoples' favor: low temperatures to slow the zombies down, combined with materials that the zombies' teeth, at least, couldn't easily sink into, and which would greatly dull the force of their blows.

Not to mention the presence of other predatory animals in the area (i.e., polar bears and tundra wolves) that could do much more damage to a zombie than it could likely do to a single polar bear or a wolf pack.

Down south, so to speak, the zombies, far greater numbers work to their advantage; up north, so to speak, their lesser numbers and other factors would work against them to their great disadvantage, even if we assume for the sake of argument that each and every Inuit man, woman and child took the dark magic medicine.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

cornholioprime wrote:I propose that low-tech people like the Inuit, secluded in distant locales, would have been largely UNAFFECTED by The Wave in the first place, since they probably wouldn't have taken Altrucure in any great quantities, if at all.

Also, the very nature of the heavy, heavy coverings worn by them would have made most of them largely immune to the attacks of any straggler zombies in the first place.

A double-edged sword in the Inuit peoples' favor: low temperatures to slow the zombies down, combined with materials that the zombies' teeth, at least, couldn't easily sink into, and which would greatly dull the force of their blows.

Not to mention the presence of other predatory animals in the area (i.e., polar bears and tundra wolves) that could do much more damage to a zombie than it could likely do to a single polar bear or a wolf pack.

Down south, so to speak, the zombies, far greater numbers work to their advantage; up north, so to speak, their lesser numbers and other factors would work against them to their great disadvantage, even if we assume for the sake of argument that each and every Inuit man, woman and child took the dark magic medicine.

Then we're in agreement cornholioprime (Like the username by the way... :D). In addition, one of the biggest advantages that the Inuits along with other populations (Especially natives) in the north possess is experience. Quite simply, having the tools to survive is one thing - knowing how to use them to your advantage is another thing entirely. Having said that, even if they didn't expect the dead to rise (As just about any survivor of the Wave would have thought), they have the ingenuity and the knowledge necessary to survive (Not to mention they have the home field advantage... :lol:). But in the meantime, they can learn from the lessons taught post-Wave when such threats do come northward, human or not. Please take care; thanks a bunch and have a good afternoon.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Course one downside to the cold is that zombies don't rot in it, even if it does slow them... so you can't really wait them out, even though you can wait in peace longer than usual while they catch-up.

CarCrasher wrote:waste evacuation is humanities weakest link so you will always be vulnerable unless you have someone watching your back.

Raid the hospitals. How much would a bedpan to the neck inflict on a zombie? Aren't they made of metal? The corners seem almost thin enough to be sharp and hack like an axe. An axe full of refuse.

whassupman03 wrote:"Turning the Tide" chapter of novel World War Z, specifically in the Sand Lakes Provincial Wilderness Park segment.
Is this not in the movie? Haven't seen yet.

cornholioprime wrote:probably wouldn't have taken Altrucure in any great quantities, if at all.
I thought the cause was mysterious, did they remove the mystery in a later sourcebook?

cornholioprime wrote:Also, the very nature of the heavy, heavy coverings worn by them would have made most of them largely immune to the attacks of any straggler zombies in the first place. A double-edged sword in the Inuit peoples' favor: low temperatures to slow the zombies down, combined with materials that the zombies' teeth, at least, couldn't easily sink into, and which would greatly dull the force of their blows.
Head butts do more damage than bites anyway, and I don't know how thick the parka hoods are to make a different against that attack, though I could see the torso covering as defense against punches.

cornholioprime wrote:Not to mention the presence of other predatory animals in the area (i.e., polar bears and tundra wolves) that could do much more damage to a zombie than it could likely do to a single polar bear or a wolf pack.
I dunno, that high PS means a zombie might be able to 1-hit-ko a wolf. They're slow but I don't know if a bear would be trying to dodge and use agility until it's too late.

Also I want zombie bears.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Tor wrote:
whassupman03 wrote:"Turning the Tide" chapter of novel World War Z, specifically in the Sand Lakes Provincial Wilderness Park segment.
Is this not in the movie? Haven't seen yet.

No, it's not in the movie, at least for the most part. But hopefully if the movie trilogy it is planned to become continues on, I would hope to see the other aspects of the novel pop into view. :-) Though in the meantime, some have said that the trilogy will not be a World War Z-based series of movies, but rather a trilogy of movies covering all three of the major books by Max Brooks - the others being The Zombie Survival Guide and The Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks.[sup]1[/sup] However, I don't think it is set in stone yet, because according to IMDb they also have a World War Z 2 movie that may come to fruition, and the listing for The Zombie Survival Guide says that it is in development, much like the former.[url]2, 3[/url] Anyway, we'll have to wait and see. :wink: Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good night.

whassupman03

[1]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide#Film_adaptations
[2]: Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1695897/?ref_=nv_sr_3
[3]: Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3234552/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

You might want to review The ice man found frozen in the mountains. They may not rot fast but zombie pops to move at all if its frozen solid. The cold actually drys meat out if its exposed long enough and the cold in the frozen north trumps the cold found in most iceboxes coolers or freezers. And the predators would nibble away oh zombie pop while it was frozen too.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Dead Reign zombies are magical, so whatever happens to normal corpses doesn't apply to them if explicitly told otherwise, and we're told they can move in freezing conditions without decay (though they get slowed). Nothing about shattering, sadly, though that'd be cool.

Return to “Dead Reign™”