Just Got It!

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Just Got It!

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

I just picked up the Dead Reign core book earlier today. I am digging it so far! 8)

Rather than go through 17 pages of posts, here are two quick questions:

1. Are there any particular fan sites that are favorites of posters here?

2. Any preference or ranking of the source books?

I have to get back to reading...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Just Got It!

Reading is still going good. I showed it to my cousin and his wife earlier. It looks like I have my first 2 players!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

When you play it, you'll probably find that the DR zombies are far harder to kill using the book rules than what you are probably expecting (based on all the zombie movies you've seen over the years). Most of us advocate adjusting the rules to make the zombies easier to deal with.

Hope you have a blast playing it!

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

flatline wrote:When you play it, you'll probably find that the DR zombies are far harder to kill using the book rules than what you are probably expecting (based on all the zombie movies you've seen over the years). Most of us advocate adjusting the rules to make the zombies easier to deal with.

Hope you have a blast playing it!

--flatline

I will keep that in mind and adjust accordingly.

Thanks!
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Thanks for the info on the source home - very informative. I'm planning on another trip to my FLGS this Friday. I will check them out and decide for sure. The reading is going great and I'm ready to get this started!
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

I picked up the first two source books this weekend. I have more ideas developing as I read. Dead Reign has really fired up my imagination! I was in a creative rut from the various fantasy games I mess around with but Dead Reign has me jotting down notes so I can develop these ideas later. AWESOME game!
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...
Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:I picked up the first two source books this weekend. I have more ideas developing as I read. Dead Reign has really fired up my imagination! I was in a creative rut from the various fantasy games I mess around with but Dead Reign has me jotting down notes so I can develop these ideas later. AWESOME game!

Good for you! :-D Of course, I had a weirder way of obtaining my Dead Reign library. My first purchase was Dead Reign Sourcebook 3: Endless Dead, because I really wanted to make the long trip to the game store worthwhile (Probably because I don't drive and I rely on unreliable bus transportation :-(). I wasn't going to come home empty-handed, so I bought the only Dead Reign book I could find there, since I was looking forward to trying it out. When I fell in love with it, Christmas was coming up, so I acquired everything preceding it, and I finally bought the fourth sourcebook once I got the chance. So oddly, that was the order I bought the actual Dead Reign books in. Even so, I continued by going with the Super-Subscription Offer provided by The Rifter (Beginning with Issue #64 to obtain the latest related article), and finally I continued to buy digital versions of every issue of The Rifter with a Dead Reign article in it. Hopefully, I will be able to buy printed copies in the future. Anyhow, that was how I obtained my Dead Reign materials.

Yet right now I have to go, so please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good night.

whassupman03 8)
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

whassupman03 wrote:Hello...
Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:I picked up the first two source books this weekend. I have more ideas developing as I read. Dead Reign has really fired up my imagination! I was in a creative rut from the various fantasy games I mess around with but Dead Reign has me jotting down notes so I can develop these ideas later. AWESOME game!

Good for you! :-D Of course, I had a weirder way of obtaining my Dead Reign library. My first purchase was Dead Reign Sourcebook 3: Endless Dead, because I really wanted to make the long trip to the game store worthwhile (Probably because I don't drive and I rely on unreliable bus transportation :-(). I wasn't going to come home empty-handed, so I bought the only Dead Reign book I could find there, since I was looking forward to trying it out. When I fell in love with it, Christmas was coming up, so I acquired everything preceding it, and I finally bought the fourth sourcebook once I got the chance. So oddly, that was the order I bought the actual Dead Reign books in. Even so, I continued by going with the Super-Subscription Offer provided by The Rifter (Beginning with Issue #64 to obtain the latest related article), and finally I continued to buy digital versions of every issue of The Rifter with a Dead Reign article in it. Hopefully, I will be able to buy printed copies in the future. Anyhow, that was how I obtained my Dead Reign materials.

Yet right now I have to go, so please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good night.

whassupman03 8)

That sequence is definitely out of order but whatever works! I'm going to pick up the other two source books ASAP and then start working on copies of the Rifters myself.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Semi-Retired Gamer wrote:
whassupman03 wrote:Hello...

whassupman03 8)

That sequence is definitely out of order but whatever works! I'm going to pick up the other two source books ASAP and then start working on copies of the Rifters myself.

I'm sure that others would seem to think so. :wink: But in case you haven't found out from other sources (Notably Palladium's official website), if you want digital versions of The Rifter (Either as backups or as an alternative format), Palladium granted DriveThruRPG the rights to sell PDF versions of most issues of the famed magazine.[sup]1[/sup] That is where I got all my digital versions. However, when I say that most issues are available at DriveThruRPG, please know that the online store stops selling full issues at Issue #52 - Issues #53 and forward are unavailable right now, though there are sneak previews of some of them (For the benefit of newbies, they also have sneak previews of the core book and Dead Reign Sourcebook 3: Endless Dead.[sup]2, 3[/sup]). Although Issue #64 is unavailable there, I was able to get Issues #40, #45, and #48, which were the issues that included Dead Reign sold there.[sup]4, 5, 6[/sup] Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good night.

whassupman03

[1]: Source: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.php?cPath=5191
[2]: Source: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/111050/Dead-Reign-RPG-Sneak-Preview
[3]: Source: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/101707/Endless-Dead-Sneak-Preview
[4]: Source: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/61093/The-Rifter-40
[5]: Source: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/88243/The-Rifter-45
[6]: Source: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/88246/The-Rifter-48
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Return to “Dead Reign™”