alternate dead reign origins ?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oger333
Explorer

alternate dead reign origins ?

Unread post by oger333 »

thought , techno-wizardry is common , along with normal high-technology
terrorist set off some kind techno wizardry device that kicks off a death rift/zombies ?
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Re: alternate dead reign origins ?

Unread post by Traska »

Crashed alien space craft leaks weird virus into the atmosphere.
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CarCrasher »

Parasitic creatures from space that crash lands in a meteorite. Parasitic creatures from the depths of the ocean? Parasitic creatures from the prehistoric past that were locked deep in bedrock? Parasitic creatures created through pharmaceutical means?. Parasitic creatures created by accident by way of radiation?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Strange undead that escaped from a rift :lol:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Radioactive spill that causes radioactive mutants that mimic the idea of a zombie?
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Dimensional leakage from a universe where all life has become zombified?
Genetic manipulation gone wrong (i.e, someone trying to make foods stocks hardier and it backfired). BONUS: If there ever was a cure, it was lost when the original scientists were turned.
Antarctic ice melt exposes something millions of years old?
Side effect from a specific combination of GM foods that no one ever combined before Patient Zero?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Now we know what happens when Twinkies <tm> are allowed to be eaten past their freshness date. :D
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

M'mm Donuts...

eliakon wrote:Now we know what happens when Twinkies <tm> are allowed to be eaten past their freshness date. :D

Similarly quoting Homer J. Simpson, he once said that if you let a Twinkie[sup]TM[/sup] age for ten years, it turns into liquor. And he did get drunk off of one after recovering it from his wall safe. :lol: In the meantime, I agree with a previous suggestion - perhaps Altrucure was a Benford Group (a.k.a. Death Cult of Brulyx) product secretly based off of fossil-embedded micrometeorites?[sup]1[/sup] Perhaps Brulyx himself shot the micrometeorites from his sealed domain, through a hole that no deity can pass (Not to mention a hole that was missed by the parties responsible for his banishment...)? We'll find out next time on Dead Reign: Secrets Revealed!

whassupman03 :ok:

[1]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALH84001
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Considering the similarity that DR zombies have with the things the Strigoi create in Shadows of Light, a link to vampires and/or The Dark is plausible.

We should keep in mind that classic Greater Demon class Vampires from PRPG (the kind which aren't explicitly linked to alien intelligences and can go on learning magic normally without impediment or freezing) could do things like animate dead, something the new mass-produced vamps can't without being former mages.

There's a great scene in VHD Bloodlust showing a vampire-commanded zombies which is pretty neat.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Unread post by TiekoSora »

I haven't decided on which route I will take for my campaign. A bacterial infection that acts as a parasite that can control the motor functions of the body until it decays to the point that it has no muscle tissue left to function is one. Its bite will transmit the infection 100% of the time, causing a disease that cripples the victim with excruciating pain, a blistering fever which ultimately kills, and respiratory distress. Even considered throwing in some of the extreme symptoms of hemorrhagic fever diseases. Several hours after the victim dies, the bacteria colony can rewire the motor center of the brain stem, and the dead "rise".

My second possibility is a viral infection like the one in the movies 28 Days Later, and 28 Weeks Later. The disease causes so much brain damage that the victim devolves into a primal animalistic "beast", with only the very base instincts functioning. These fast attack zombies would be able to run as fast as a human, be just as strong or stronger even, and not decompose. Their bite would have a very high probability of infecting a survivor of an attack, turning them in a matter of hours to a couple days. Those people killed during an attack would be fed upon. torn to shreds, and would not rise as a zombie.

In any case, I won't be using any supernatural origin for the Wave, though the possibility of genetically modified foods introduced into the food supply, could work as well. Picture an inactive protein sequence in a food staple specifically modified to react with another inactive protein from another GM food staple once introduced into the food supply. The result is an aggressive prion that attacks the cognitive centers of the brain, basically creating a zombie like my second option. Fast attack, flesh eating, but not contagious zombies. Once bitten, you will not be infected and turn, though other diseases could be introduced into your system that way. It would have to be two common foods that a significant portion of the populace would eat, around the world, with the elimination of a massive portion of the human race from the planet as its agenda. As the victims turn, they attack others and eat them. The survivors scatter, the hunters band together and kill more survivors. As the survivors get hungry, they begin to eat whatever they can find, and you will occasionally have more people affected by what they eat. Eventually, a New World Order would be established and firm control over the population exerted. At least, that is the plan.
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
Trent
Explorer

Unread post by Trent »

malfunctioned nano swarm = Dead-Tech . A mistake turned into a weapon that spun out of control ? OR mutated rabies for the purpose of a weapon that spins out of control (life span far beyond what it should of been or it does not kill the host after the intended time) . Not truly undead but victims are "changed" geneticlly into a new (and insane) apex predator that regenerates by eating human flesh . Sorry , just rambling here .
Please Help a Family in Need : http://www.gofundme.com/y27ff9w ,
Trent
Explorer

Unread post by Trent »

Alien plants that fall to earth in pod like structures and then infect and control recently dead with spores . The flesh puppets then breed and spread more spores to more and more host through their bite . 100s of parent plants across the world controling ever expanding hives and armies of flesh puppet slaves harvesting earths resources .
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Buried nuclear waste contaminates the soil and mutates the weeds that grow around/near it.

People inhale some of those spores (think ragweed allergies times 1,000,000 lol) and when they mix into the blood stream the poison slowly deteriorates the brains functions, hence the devolution into the primal predatory state the zombie appear to be in.

Scenario 2 It's an alternate strain of Rabies, therefore curable. Congratulations most of you are now going to jail for first degree murder after shooting all those "zombies" in the head, lol
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

*sounds of Rifter-Brulyx crying because he and his cool DR demons aren't canon*
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Razzinold
Hero

Tor wrote:*sounds of Rifter-Brulyx crying because he and his cool DR demons aren't canon*

Which Rifter is that in ?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

A Meteorite hit Mexico not far from a road people close to the impact radiation are turn into Zombies.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I've always been fond of the idea of the Zombie plague being the result of some powerful extra-dimensional being that was trying to enter the DR dimension during some cosmic event, but the event ended before the being succeeded and whatever part of the being was already here was separated from the rest of the being and it now trying to preserve itself (and maybe grow its power) by possessing the bodies of the dead.

Just add the limitation that a body can't be possessed unless a fragment of the being was in contact with it at the time of death and you mostly mimic the DR mechanics as is.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Trent
Explorer

Unread post by Trent »

flatline wrote:I've always been fond of the idea of the Zombie plague being the result of some powerful extra-dimensional being that was trying to enter the DR dimension during some cosmic event, but the event ended before the being succeeded and whatever part of the being was already here was separated from the rest of the being and it now trying to preserve itself (and maybe grow its power) by possessing the bodies of the dead.

Just add the limitation that a body can't be possessed unless a fragment of the being was in contact with it at the time of death and you mostly mimic the DR mechanics as is.

--flatline

The fragmented essence could spread and grow like any other virus . The more zombies feed the more they transmit energy to the core entity makeing it more and more powerful . A "projection" of this entity could influence death cults into doing its bidding . Some humans will be bread for work force and food (energy) . This would best be ran as an invasion game than a magic game but either would fit . It could also incorporate some very minor psionics from BTS but i would only allow the latent and natural/genius PCCs and even then greatly limit the effectiveness of powers like mask PPE (cost twice as much ISP and is not allowed as a controlled ability) . In any case it would be very different than the usual take on zombies or invasion while leaving the game structure intact .
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Razzinold wrote:
Tor wrote:*sounds of Rifter-Brulyx crying because he and his cool DR demons aren't canon*

Number 45, the original source material from Josh Hilden and Joshua Sanford. Has 3 lesser demons (Crawling Maws, Jigsaw Zombies, Necro Golems) 1 greater (Organ Grinder) and on page 29-31 we get stats/pic of Brulyx (classified as a Dark God).

Not to be confused with the upcoming Fear the Reaper which is conveniently/confusing recycling the cover.
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

Brulyx cries for no one!

:P
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Wondering if anyone has any theories on who the Mysterious Benefactor of Brulyx is, alluded to in Rifter.

I instinctively want to guess an Old One, but it could just as easily be Ahriman or Chronus.

Considering that the head priest of Brulyx is a former Priest of Hades, and Chronus is trapped in Tartarus...
Razzinold
Hero

Tor wrote:
Razzinold wrote:

Number 45, the original source material from Josh Hilden and Joshua Sanford. Has 3 lesser demons (Crawling Maws, Jigsaw Zombies, Necro Golems) 1 greater (Organ Grinder) and on page 29-31 we get stats/pic of Brulyx (classified as a Dark God).

Not to be confused with the upcoming Fear the Reaper which is conveniently/confusing recycling the cover.

Thanks,

My buddy has that one so I will borrow it off him and read it.

Return to “Dead Reign™”