campaign

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

campaign

Unread post by JTwig »

Has anyone ever run a game in this setting? I just got the book, and while I like it I can't see running a long term game in the setting, I'm thinking of having some Rifts PCs who are tracking a transdimesional foe visit temporary while tracking him; mostly because I have this awesome abandoned bowling alley map from an old dungeon magazine I'm dying to use.
malbane
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: campaign

Unread post by malbane »

Dead Reign can work as a regular campaign surprisingly well. The trick is to run it as an open sandbox where the characters are traveling cross country for some goal, such as seeking out a rumored safe area. Of course the safe area should be half way across the country and who knows if it still exists or if it is really safe.

I agree with SamGuss in that Google Earth is your friend, especially in running a sandbox. The maps name local businesses and landmarks which can lead to ideas for adventures. In my campaign I saw on the map that the players were near a local Home Depot and when I mentioned to the players they just had to explore it. Using some inspiration from the beginning episodes of season four of the Walking Dead the players did not know a helicopter had crashed into the roof. From there we had a very tense evening of game play as all hell broke loose.
Games are meant to be fun. Worry less and play more. See more of my rambling at :
http://www.themildmanneredgamer.blogspot.com
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Running a play by post game on Facebook, Walkind Dead style.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

malbane wrote:Dead Reign can work as a regular campaign surprisingly well. The trick is to run it as an open sandbox where the characters are traveling cross country for some goal, such as seeking out a rumored safe area. Of course the safe area should be half way across the country and who knows if it still exists or if it is really safe.

I agree with SamGuss in that Google Earth is your friend, especially in running a sandbox. The maps name local businesses and landmarks which can lead to ideas for adventures. In my campaign I saw on the map that the players were near a local Home Depot and when I mentioned to the players they just had to explore it. Using some inspiration from the beginning episodes of season four of the Walking Dead the players did not know a helicopter had crashed into the roof. From there we had a very tense evening of game play as all hell broke loose.

If you're going to use Google Earth, you might want to use The Map of the Dead. Gives you an idea of the 'density' of the dead in an area, and auto tags businesses that might be helpful. Like were service stations, sporting stores, hospitals, dentists, camping stores, etc are located. They also have an app which is like a game I believe. Not ever tried it.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

i have run 2 DR games over the years on by the books and the other one by house rules ant the house ruled one ran so much better and has been running for almost 2 years
malbane
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by malbane »

Thank you for pointing out the Map of the Dead site. On checking it out however I was unable to find the density of the dead in an area. How do I access that info?
Games are meant to be fun. Worry less and play more. See more of my rambling at :
http://www.themildmanneredgamer.blogspot.com
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Hmm, that's odd. I'm sure they used to indicate the areas that should be more zombie infested by varying the 'red tone' over the map. Now I don't know. I didn't even go to the site to get the link, I just typed it in from memory.
Eureka!
SittingBull
Hero

Does that sights map NOT zoom in and out?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

The map on that site does zoom in and out. Otherwise it would be pointless.
Eureka!
SittingBull
Hero

I could not get it to zoom or in out. Thank you.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane

Return to “Dead Reign™”