Robot skills in DR???

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Robot skills in DR???

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

Ok, just noticed this as i was putting together some characters for next weeks DR game....the Survivor O.C.C. Engineer: Electrical or Mechanical
"An expert in either Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, in regard to industrial usage, factories, robots and heavy machinery....etc" Robots????

What the heck, i know adding robots would probably derail the spirit of DR being a zombie horror game.....

So i ask anyone who has GMed DR, how do you handle this, especially if a player wants to know if they can build a robot, because, well, "i have the skills"
The Dragon Has Spoken
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Re: Robot skills in DR???

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

I'd say that any character with the appropriate skills can repair, maintain and modify, or build robotics that we would see in our modern-day world, such as industrial robots, military drones and the like, as well as the commercially available robots, like that vacuum robot and the like. But in all honesty, who's going to have the time and resources to design and build new machines when the world is nearly overrun with the walking dead?? Really anything could happen in-game, but a scenario that would involve producing robots should be highly unlikely.. "Oh I need a P3X-9400 Zenon controll unit.. oh wait there should be a bunch at MIT... oh yeah... I'm in Montana and my car has about 10 gallons of gas. Sure hope I dont run into any fast movers on the way." LOL
Last edited by Grand Paladin on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Snake Eyes
Hero

:lol: good point.....don't know why i didn't think of the industrial robots we have today....but yeah, there isn't going to be the level of robots that are in HU........
The Dragon Has Spoken
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

Actually any type of robots would be very useful in dead reign.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Snake Eyes
Hero

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:Actually any type of robots would be very useful in dead reign.

primitive skelebots :D
The Dragon Has Spoken
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

They could be robots that you see in the show Robot Wars. And they can now be armed with real weapons used to battle zombies..
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

I think most see the robots just as another weapon system, and nothing more then that.

Now imagine a r/c helicopter linked to and A.I. WiTh a video camera and using it as a scout for stores like super Walmart, targets, food stores with real time images, followed with a couple of a couple r/c A.I. Cars with lights on them with a rat cage on it rolling around store attempting to draw zombies out so get an idea of what inside.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Snake Eyes
Hero

Mech-Viper Prime wrote:I think most see the robots just as another weapon system, and nothing more then that.

Now imagine a r/c helicopter linked to and A.I. WiTh a video camera and using it as a scout for stores like super Walmart, targets, food stores with real time images, followed with a couple of a couple r/c A.I. Cars with lights on them with a rat cage on it rolling around store attempting to draw zombies out so get an idea of what inside.

Fantastic idea, basically something similar to military drones
The Dragon Has Spoken
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin

Snake Eyes wrote:
Mech-Viper Prime wrote:I think most see the robots just as another weapon system, and nothing more then that.

Fantastic idea, basically something similar to military drones

Yeah just look at type of stuff the myth busters does with vehicles.
It's only a useless skill if you can't think of how to use it.

Snake Eyes
Hero

As many time as i watched the military channel, it never sunk in that the drones that the military uses are robots....

Thanks for the input, now i can add the Mechanical/Electrical engineer O.C.C. to the mix (DR pg. 91). The one player in my group is gonna love this :-D
The Dragon Has Spoken
Icefalcon
Champion

Don't forget bomb disposal robots. They have advanced sensor equipment, arms and a armored compartment to transport things.

There are exploration robots used in mines and cave diving that can be used for exploratory work.

Robotic assistants for the elderly could be used as makeshift nurses for the injured or infected (if you are using that for people turning into zombies).
Snake Eyes
Hero

DARPA is also working on load-bearing exoskeletons for their soldiers
The Dragon Has Spoken
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CarCrasher »

Repurposing industrial robots to have weaponry is a good idea. Put a few with sniper rifles, greanade launchers, rocket launchers, large automatic weapons or what have you. Mount some optic relay stuff on them and one person could effectively protect a large area.
Icefalcon
Champion

CarCrasher wrote:Repurposing industrial robots to have weaponry is a good idea. Put a few with sniper rifles, greanade launchers, rocket launchers, large automatic weapons or what have you. Mount some optic relay stuff on them and one person could effectively protect a large area.

Only problem is that you have to write all new programs for the robots to fire weapons. Even then, they are not assured to have the accuracy that a human would have nor would they be able to adapt to the changing nature of a battlefield.
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

I'm pretty confident a skilled character would be able to accomplish the needed programming. The arms would be a first action defense against an invasion while humans get suit up for the combat. Not to mention a background operator would be at the helm at the arms control center.
Icefalcon
Champion

CarCrasher wrote:I'm pretty confident a skilled character would be able to accomplish the needed programming. The arms would be a first action defense against an invasion while humans get suit up for the combat. Not to mention a background operator would be at the helm at the arms control center.

Have you ever tried to aim a gun through a camera from a remote location? Not an easy thing. And yes, while a character may have the skills to program a targeting program, the limits of technology will mean that it probably will not be very accurate and sure will not be fast enough to adjust to changing battlefield conditions. It is one of the reasons we see so many problems with US military drones.
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

A few successful skill roll and the camera scope is properly aligned and securely connected to the location. How hard was that? Irl the difficulties would be a long tedious job. Good thing this is a game.
Icefalcon
Champion

It may be a game but I like to introduce a little realism to the situation. If everything is reduced to a die roll then what's the point?
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Icefalcon wrote:It may be a game but I like to introduce a little realism to the situation. If everything is reduced to a die roll then what's the point?

I enjoy a little realism in the game too but if I have a character that took those particular skills then I would at least like to be able to play them out. Yes what I talked about is difficult it is doable with trial and error and time. It's not like a few rolls would make it magically happen instantly. It would still takes months to accrue the necessary resources. It would be quite the adventure to looking for a geothermal drilling rig, the generator, the several miles of tubing, the electric cables and safely returning home with it. Not to mention the robotic parts the optics, the weaponry and much-needed ammo, the monitors, the mainframes to house the A.I. Really great ideas for role-play and fun for the group.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Since all the people here were talking about robotics, I thought I might add a few links to blog articles that may be useful:

First, please take some time to look at the blog entry "DIY Drones on the Homestead" by "PR" (Most posters stay anonymous... 8)) at the URL http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/10/diy-drones-on-the-homestead-by-pr.html (Oh and also take a look at the reply to the article at http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/10/letter-re-diy-drones-on-the-homestead.html.). And second, be sure not to forget "Helicopters and Fixed Wing Drones for Retreat Security" by "Long Jim" at the URL http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/02/helicopter-and-fixed-wing-drones-for-retreat-security-by-long-jim.html (In addition to the last reply, there is another reply at http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/02/letter-re-helicopter-and-fixed-wing-drones-for-retreat-security.html.). These blog articles and associated replies may be useful to the purveyors of robotics in Dead Reign.[sup]1[/sup] :-D

Well now I have to go, so please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good afternoon everyone.

whassupman03

[1]: Source: SurvivalBlog (http://www.survivalblog.com/)
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Here are some examples of robots that are either deployed or are in develpment right now.

http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/the- ... ary-robot/

http://www.theoldrobots.org/military.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... umans.html

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robo ... y-vehicles

http://futurismic.com/2007/11/28/milita ... he-offing/

There are more, this is just a quick sample.

Also, Rifter 65 has an article on technology in a contemporary setting from what is currently available to what will be coming in the near future.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Cybermancer wrote:Here are some examples of robots that are either deployed or are in develpment right now.

http://www.darkgovernment.com/news/the- ... ary-robot/

http://www.theoldrobots.org/military.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... umans.html

http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robo ... y-vehicles

http://futurismic.com/2007/11/28/milita ... he-offing/

There are more, this is just a quick sample.

Also, Rifter 65 has an article on technology in a contemporary setting from what is currently available to what will be coming in the near future.

I'm appreciative of the links you posted for us Cybermancer. Personally, I bet that equivalents of a lot of these could be made by surviving robotics experts (Or hobbyists) post-Wave using materials that may not be military-grade (Unless someone breaks into DARPA... :wink:). But in the meantime, I (Likely among others) will most definitely look into the technology article in The Rifter #65. So please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good night.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
PSI-Lence
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by PSI-Lence »

Icefalcon wrote:Have you ever tried to aim a gun through a camera from a remote location? Not an easy thing. And yes, while a character may have the skills to program a targeting program, the limits of technology will mean that it probably will not be very accurate and sure will not be fast enough to adjust to changing battlefield conditions. It is one of the reasons we see so many problems with US military drones.

if the 'drone problems' you mean are american's shooting the wrong people that's nothing to do with the drone itself it's the operator the fact they can hit targets hundreds if not thousands of feet away means the aiming system is actually very good and doesn't need much practice to use (probably too complicated for player characters to be able to build in that quality though)

i keep thinking of the auto turrets in aliens though set them up to just track motion and fire, if nothing else it's buy you time and be a hell of an alarm

now forgive my ignorance since i have not played DR yet (though really tempted to pick it up i just haven't yet) if they can be killed by fire a flame thrower doesn't give the best range but makes up for any bad aim with a wider area of damage
i own but am less well versed in RUE, and my memory is ... lackluster at best keep that in mind if my posts contradict canon lol
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Yes and fire also causes the zombies to "panic"! Nothing ruins your day like a flaming zombie.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

CarCrasher wrote:Yes and fire also causes the zombies to "panic"! Nothing ruins your day like a flaming zombie.

Dont you know that the Zombie Army has a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell!" Policy :D
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

PSI-Lence wrote:if the 'drone problems' you mean are american's shooting the wrong people that's nothing to do with the drone itself it's the operator the fact they can hit targets hundreds if not thousands of feet away means the aiming system is actually very good and doesn't need much practice to use (probably too complicated for player characters to be able to build in that quality though)

i keep thinking of the auto turrets in aliens though set them up to just track motion and fire, if nothing else it's buy you time and be a hell of an alarm

now forgive my ignorance since i have not played DR yet (though really tempted to pick it up i just haven't yet) if they can be killed by fire a flame thrower doesn't give the best range but makes up for any bad aim with a wider area of damage

I can understand your need to play through Dead Reign, but one thing you should know is this: While you can use fire against zombies, fire will turn a raving zombie into a raving flaming zombie :x that will spread it all over the place, and you don't want a flaming zombie charging all out towards your foxhole. :eek: But if you really want to use fire in a zombie-esque situation, use it as a disposal system against the walking dead that you have re-killed to keep them from turning others, much like one would use high-strength acids to melt the zombies into bubbling goo. Just be sure that your PCs know what they are doing when they are "playing" with fire. :D Anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good afternoon.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Icefalcon
Champion

PSI-Lence wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:Have you ever tried to aim a gun through a camera from a remote location? Not an easy thing. And yes, while a character may have the skills to program a targeting program, the limits of technology will mean that it probably will not be very accurate and sure will not be fast enough to adjust to changing battlefield conditions. It is one of the reasons we see so many problems with US military drones.

if the 'drone problems' you mean are american's shooting the wrong people that's nothing to do with the drone itself it's the operator the fact they can hit targets hundreds if not thousands of feet away means the aiming system is actually very good and doesn't need much practice to use (probably too complicated for player characters to be able to build in that quality though)

While yes, the programs on American drones are sophisticated, most of the "accidents" we hear about about is due to "guidance malfunction" according to the spin-doctors.

PSI-Lence wrote:i keep thinking of the auto turrets in aliens though set them up to just track motion and fire, if nothing else it's buy you time and be a hell of an alarm

These would be too sophisticated for the canon setting of the game. While individual GM's may alter this to suit their needs, I have not.

PSI-Lence wrote:now forgive my ignorance since i have not played DR yet (though really tempted to pick it up i just haven't yet) if they can be killed by fire a flame thrower doesn't give the best range but makes up for any bad aim with a wider area of damage

Remote flamethrowers may not be bad. That is, if you can keep the zombies in an area that will not burn with them, otherwise you are just askingto burn alive when they set everything around them ablaze in their panic.

Let me clarify what I am trying to get at here. While yes, it is possible to make drones that fire weapons and use cameras; they will certainly lack the sophistication of a military drone (as an example). Secondly, it takes a programmer with specific knowledge of guidance systems (which in game translates to at least three or four skills just to write the program) to achieve any level of accuracy with drone weapons. Also, it would require at least another three skills to build the drone and a further skill or two to attach weapons to said drone. All said and done, it takes specialty in that field to do such a thing. This does not include the necessity of time, safety, access to tools and power sources an the materials in addition to the knowledge to accomplish this. I do not know about other GM's but I tend to make this game a bit gritty and restrict the access to one or more of the above requirements (time, safety, materials, power, or tools) to better simulate a world overrun by creatures intent on devouring you.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Icefalcon wrote:They could be robots that you see in the show Robot Wars. And they can now be armed with real weapons used to battle zombies..

Sure, if you can learn them into a cage or something. Those things don't have good mobility outside pretty flat terrains.

Icefalcon wrote:they are not assured to have the accuracy that a human would have nor would they be able to adapt to the changing nature of a battlefield.

Plus there's the target identification problem. It wouldn't be so bad if you were fighting aliens, but you're targetting humanoids and you'd need some kind of thermal discrimination thing for them to figure who are zombies. If that got damaged and went on the fritz, the bot might start sniping friendlies.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Dead Reign™”