Recorded Moans?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

arthurfallz
Wanderer

Recorded Moans?

Unread post by arthurfallz »

I'm still making my way through the Dead Reign book - I picked it up on the weekend and I'm still reading.

When I was reading about the zombie moan, I got to thinking. Could you record that moan, then use it to draw the zombies away? It would keep them busy for a few minutes. The only thing I thought was that the genuine zombie moan is very loud, considering the distance it can be heard from. It would have to be a loud speaker broadcast to get zombie attention.

If it worked, I could see a Reaper squad rigging the loudspeakers at a car lot or mall to moan and get attention, while they go through the new hole in the zombie dispersment. Or, even better, get the moan going, put some livestock at the center of it in something hard to get to, and when a big enough group of zombies converge - the dynamite explodes.

Thoughts? On if it works (I'm thinking no, but not sure if it's been canonically answered or not), and then the plan if it did work?
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.
ArmySGT.
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Recorded Moans?

Unread post by ArmySGT. »

A recording might be missing tonal qualities, and sub vocal sounds therefore, the zombies are not attracted to the recording of a moan.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

arthurfallz wrote:I'm still making my way through the Dead Reign book - I picked it up on the weekend and I'm still reading.

When I was reading about the zombie moan, I got to thinking. Could you record that moan, then use it to draw the zombies away? It would keep them busy for a few minutes. The only thing I thought was that the genuine zombie moan is very loud, considering the distance it can be heard from. It would have to be a loud speaker broadcast to get zombie attention.

If it worked, I could see a Reaper squad rigging the loudspeakers at a car lot or mall to moan and get attention, while they go through the new hole in the zombie dispersment. Or, even better, get the moan going, put some livestock at the center of it in something hard to get to, and when a big enough group of zombies converge - the dynamite explodes.

Thoughts? On if it works (I'm thinking no, but not sure if it's been canonically answered or not), and then the plan if it did work?
The Zombie Moan is strongly implied to be supernatural in nature -even Zombies who are completely missing their vocal cords can do the Moan.

Until such time as the Authors give stronger evidence to the contrary, I would personally rule (were I the GM) that The Zombie Moan, if recorded, will only be as effective (or ineffective as the case may be) as any other non-supernatural sound of similar pitch and timbre and amplitude, no matter how good the sound quality of said recording.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I think the GM should rule however benefits the game the most. Perhaps make a recording useful enough to be worth experimenting with, but not as effective as a true moan.

Personally, I think all zombie hunters should have a "living" zombie head in a cooler (well, head plus however much of the torso the GM rules needs to be present in order for it to be able to moan) so that they can lure zombies into their traps with an authentic moan whenever they want to.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

flatline wrote:I think the GM should rule however benefits the game the most. Perhaps make a recording useful enough to be worth experimenting with, but not as effective as a true moan.

Personally, I think all zombie hunters should have a "living" zombie head in a cooler (well, head plus however much of the torso the GM rules needs to be present in order for it to be able to moan) so that they can lure zombies into their traps with an authentic moan whenever they want to.

--flatline
That would be awesome.

Have ONE Zombie Head (and whatever else of the body except the arms and legs) permanently chained down in a sturdy, soundproof container that can be opened and closed at will, mount it on an armored truck, and have that ONE Zombie's moan attract all the rest in a chain reaction.

You could slowly, eventually, clear out whole towns/cities in this manner by having the "Bait Truck" (or "Bait Trucks") lead them out of the city by the hundreds/thousands/millions!

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Tearstone
Adventurer

Unread post by Tearstone »

Man I wish I could "like" posts. For example the Bait trucks. That's brilliant. Then again, I'm the type to turn a cow loose in an area, and have the zombies follow it like the pied piper as it heads out in another direction. They follow it, the immediate area is clear of Zack.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I would allow moans recorded (and played back) with high quality gear to work. With cheap gear, it would just make the moan sound less like the real thing and more like someone trying to fake one (which still might draw a few zombies but not hordes of them) with their own voice.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

I would rule that, while a recorded moan is different to the supernatual wail of the undead and would fail to lure them, it would still cause roaming zeds to walk over and investiate like any other noise out of the ordinary - in this respect its no different to the noise made by people shouting, so could still be useful in a more limited way.

The zed-in-a-box idea though is genius!
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

cornholioprime wrote:Zombies who are completely missing their vocal cords can do the Moan.

flatline wrote:I think all zombie hunters should have a "living" zombie head in a cooler (well, head plus however much of the torso the GM rules needs to be present in order for it to be able to moan)

I imagine that if you can do it without vocal cords then you may not need lungs either. Do zombies even inhale? Do they have to catch their breath and pause every now and then to continue the moan, or is it just some supernaturally continuous siren?

Also wouldn't you still need something to trigger the moan, like a nearby human?

Doesn't the zombie stop moaning once the human gets out of range?

Would an animal sacrifice left behind trigger a continuous moan?

Could I just leave a hamster in a really strong cage that the zombies aren't able to open up as bait and then snipe the accumulating crowd from the distance?

Could I tie an arrow to a really long string so that after I sniped a zombie in the eye socket I could retract my arrow and keep using it?

You know how Batman has a projectile and stuff that once he shoots it is like this retractible climbing device... couldn't you shoot zombies and then wind back in your thing over and over? I figure there must be something like this (grappling hook alternative) somewhere. Maybe have to check HU and N&SS.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Tor wrote:
cornholioprime wrote:Zombies who are completely missing their vocal cords can do the Moan.

flatline wrote:I think all zombie hunters should have a "living" zombie head in a cooler (well, head plus however much of the torso the GM rules needs to be present in order for it to be able to moan)

I imagine that if you can do it without vocal cords then you may not need lungs either. Do zombies even inhale? Do they have to catch their breath and pause every now and then to continue the moan, or is it just some supernaturally continuous siren?

Also wouldn't you still need something to trigger the moan, like a nearby human?

Could I just leave a hamster in a really strong cage that the zombies aren't able to open up as bait and then snipe the accumulating crowd from the distance?

Could I tie an arrow to a really long string so that after I sniped a zombie in the eye socket I could retract my arrow and keep using it?

You know how Batman has a projectile and stuff that once he shoots it is like this retractible climbing device... couldn't you shoot zombies and then wind back in your thing over and over? I figure there must be something like this (grappling hook alternative) somewhere. Maybe have to check HU and N&SS.
The Books seem to imply that only Humans get them to moan.
Last edited by cornholioprime on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CarCrasher »

I believe recorded moans would work in attracting the creepers. If not for the supernatural capacity then the sound itself surely would. It even says in the book they hate sound and will tirelessly work to destroy the source of the offending notes. If the sound spewer was sufficiently loud enough in an appropriately fortified position it could in theory attract them from miles around.
If unable to destroy the source of the sound would they eventually leave the area?
Would they continue to try and destroy the sound source no matter how futile? As J.L Duncan so eloquently put it ruin the shelf life of the horde?
Would they eventually get used to the sound?
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Tearstone wrote:Man I wish I could "like" posts. For example the Bait trucks. That's brilliant. Then again, I'm the type to turn a cow loose in an area, and have the zombies follow it like the pied piper as it heads out in another direction. They follow it, the immediate area is clear of Zack.

The "Bait Truck" technique would be really special if you had an ice cream truck to play the recorded moan - having a bunch of zombies chasing after it like a crowd of suburban kids going after some cheap ice cream would be hilarious. Heck - you'd even see some zombified pattern zombie kids forking over some dough! :demon: Yeah that would be the day, when Sweet Tooth drives around in an ice cream truck/killing machine wiping out zombies on sight! :clown: Or maybe if one hogtied a cow and hoisted it by helicopter, you could use it like you're on a fishing expedition, to lure the Zs into a kill-box. Better yet, grab an old Coast Guard helicopter, use the recovery harness to hoist a restrained limbless zombie, and carry it wherever you need its buddies to go! Well anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good night.

whassupman03 :D

P.S.: No animals were harmed in the making of this picture. :twisted:
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Trent
Explorer

Unread post by Trent »

sHaka wrote:I would rule that, while a recorded moan is different to the supernatual wail of the undead and would fail to lure them, it would still cause roaming zeds to walk over and investiate like any other noise out of the ordinary - in this respect its no different to the noise made by people shouting, so could still be useful in a more limited way.

The zed-in-a-box idea though is genius!

But not all orgins suggest supernatural
Please Help a Family in Need : http://www.gofundme.com/y27ff9w ,
Trent
Explorer

Unread post by Trent »

Tor wrote:

Your may need more than a head to make to moan . Armless and legless torso ?
Please Help a Family in Need : http://www.gofundme.com/y27ff9w ,
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Smlawrence8 »

cornholioprime wrote:
flatline wrote:I think the GM should rule however benefits the game the most. Perhaps make a recording useful enough to be worth experimenting with, but not as effective as a true moan.

--flatline
That would be awesome.

Have ONE Zombie Head (and whatever else of the body except the arms and legs) permanently chained down in a sturdy, soundproof container that can be opened and closed at will, mount it on an armored truck, and have that ONE Zombie's moan attract all the rest in a chain reaction.

You could slowly, eventually, clear out whole towns/cities in this manner by having the "Bait Truck" (or "Bait Trucks") lead them out of the city by the hundreds/thousands/millions!

Step 1: cut a hole in the box
Step 2: put your zed in a box...
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Trent wrote:Your may need more than a head to make to moan . Armless and legless torso ?

You're right on the money Trent. If memory serves correctly, a zombie needs only 12% of its body to survive, so that's not much, but know that beheading a zombie is a great way to kill them, not to "neuter" them when it comes to making them relatively useless as unnatural killing machines. Zombie heads can't survive on their own, which is why beheading is a common tactic to keep people from turning, and to keep zombies from coming back and biting your jugular off if the bullet you put into its head missed the sweet spot. When considering how much zombie you need to make a bait zombie, think the Borg Queen from Star Trek: First Contact; specifically her quasi-natural state when she's detached from the rest of her body. That I would believe to be enough zombie to make moaning bait.

Smlawrence8 wrote:Step 1: cut a hole in the box
Step 2: put your zed in a box...

And once you have your moaning bait, be sure to contain it somehow, like putting it into a "Moan-Box" like Smlawrence8 says. Of course I would add something really nifty to the outside of the box; perhaps a way to make it into a booby trap. Claymore mines, even if improvised, might be useful if they are capable enough to re-kill the dead. Even so, an enterprising engineer could create their own take on claymore mines, which may use flechettes rather than ball bearings as a theoretical example, to improve the Claymore's ability to exterminate the undead. But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Return to “Dead Reign™”