FREE or cheap equipment that will keep you ALIVE

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Trent
Explorer

Re: FREE or cheap equipment that will keep you ALIVE

Unread post by Trent »

G wrote:I modified bible to cannon to be politically correct. I see lots of really good ideas in there, and quite a few that were more expensive than I intended - but thats okay they are still useful for others (not me, I'm keeping my list REALLY cheap or free). The problem with lots of the survival equipment people are suggesting is that the prices are really high for things like a compass, knife or survival kit in a post apocalyptic world ..whereas you could start with an entire kit for the price of each of these items. My list is meant for when you are bartering for things in game or starting with a half dozen stashes, etc.

More ideas:
$40 small climbing platform
Bandana: knots or survival
Playing cards: knots or survival or plants

Stuff I really liked so far:
-$250, low magnification weapon sight for the crossbow. This is expensive, so I would only have one on my char, not in a stash.
-$6 camo tape, I had considered putting it on my list originally, but I already had string and plastic (zip) ties, so I left it off.

Alot of it can be found cheap at army surplus stores and flea markets .
Please Help a Family in Need : http://www.gofundme.com/y27ff9w ,
Trent
Explorer

Unread post by Trent »

A coyote once told me you could get high yield thermonuclear weapons by mail order from the Acme company . It was right before a ostrich looking zombie claiming to be a road runner killed him .
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tirisilex »

OMG.. I cant believe no one suggested Duct Tape. Very versatile and easy to use.. Tape a Butcher knife to the end of a poll for instance. Lots of other uses.

I would bring some Buddhist books instead of a Bible since I am a Buddhist. "Immortality and Freedom", "Not for Happiness", "Differentiation of Consciousness", "Tibetan Book of Living and Dieing."

Cant Live without RPG's So I would Grab My GURPS Collection too. GURPS can do anything so it's in my choice that its the best choice. Throw that in a back part of a SUV and Most of the stuff you guys have listed.. A Zombie Survival kit or 2.. Lots of gas in containers and head to Canada.. Less ppl up that way should be safer.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

G wrote:
Oberoth wrote:Carabiner's and chain. For quickly locking shut chain link fence gates quickly.

that is a rather limited use item. You might be better off with zip ties or hand cuffs

The problem with cuffs or zip ties is that means if you later want to open the door you need a key or a pair of scissors or edged knife to get back through, which might not be immediately on hand in an emergency.

Carabiners (do we mean the ones that twist to lock?) would prevent the dumb walkers of TWD (basically all slouchers/crawlers) from getting through.

In Dead Reign, a Thinker could probably figure out how to undo a carabiner though. Not sure about Flesh Eaters.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Trent
Explorer

Unread post by Trent »

Tirisilex wrote:OMG.. I cant believe no one suggested Duct Tape. Very versatile and easy to use.. Tape a Butcher knife to the end of a poll for instance. Lots of other uses.

I would bring some Buddhist books instead of a Bible since I am a Buddhist. "Immortality and Freedom", "Not for Happiness", "Differentiation of Consciousness", "Tibetan Book of Living and Dieing."

Cant Live without RPG's So I would Grab My GURPS Collection too. GURPS can do anything so it's in my choice that its the best choice. Throw that in a back part of a SUV and Most of the stuff you guys have listed.. A Zombie Survival kit or 2.. Lots of gas in containers and head to Canada.. Less ppl up that way should be safer.

There are many places in the US with a pop of less 1 per sq mile . And to be on Palladium's forums advertising their competitors ? Bad form sir .
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

I'm sorry for mentioning another game system. Meant no harm by it.
ronekiln
Wanderer

Unread post by ronekiln »

Now I want to run a meta game in which your post apocalypse group occasionally role-plays a different game with a different system than the one you're using for the post apocalypse game. And you have to run the secondary games character the way your primary games character would, and hold out of (secondary) game discussions as your primary character.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

ronekiln wrote:Now I want to run a meta game in which your post apocalypse group occasionally role-plays a different game with a different system than the one you're using for the post apocalypse game. And you have to run the secondary games character the way your primary games character would, and hold out of (secondary) game discussions as your primary character.

Actually, during a BTS game, our characters had all taken the Roleplaying Game Design skill and when the game got boring, we actually began a Rifts game within the BTS campaign, much to the chagrin of the GM.
ronekiln
Wanderer

Unread post by ronekiln »

filo_clarke wrote:
ronekiln wrote:Now I want to run a meta game in which your post apocalypse group occasionally role-plays a different game with a different system than the one you're using for the post apocalypse game. And you have to run the secondary games character the way your primary games character would, and hold out of (secondary) game discussions as your primary character.

Actually, during a BTS game, our characters had all taken the Roleplaying Game Design skill and when the game got boring, we actually began a Rifts game within the BTS campaign, much to the chagrin of the GM.

It never occurred to me for one of the players to be the secondary GM! That's awesome! Did the GM join in the Rifts game as an NPC?

I have to try this someday. My players would both love and hate it.
Tirisilex
Megaversal® Ambassador

Soo.. RPG's are a valuable resource for surviving a Zombie Apocalypse?
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

ronekiln wrote:
filo_clarke wrote:

It never occurred to me for one of the players to be the secondary GM! That's awesome! Did the GM join in the Rifts game as an NPC?

I have to try this someday. My players would both love and hate it.

No, the GM did not join in. It was done more as an act of protest. When the GM was putting insultingly little effort into prepping for the campaign, we simply hijacked it until he could throw something more complete our way.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Tirisilex wrote:Soo.. RPG's are a valuable resource for surviving a Zombie Apocalypse?

You have do something with your free time.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Icefalcon wrote:You have do something with your free time.

Not that it's free or cheap, but I saw a guy on Doomsday Preppers the other day who invented a lot of nifty survival items, and one of his little toys was called the "Fireball Gun." It was basically a custom paintball gun that fired two color-coded types of paintballs, but instead of paint, they contained two chemicals which, when mixed, caused an exothermic reaction that set the target on fire! :eek: He dubbed it non-lethal (Yeah right... :lol:), but I thought that actually building your own survival gear and weapons would be a useful and creative thing to do during your free time. Still, it was a nifty item though. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a nice day.

whassupman03 :ok:

P.S.: And he declined to be graded by Practical Preppers on the episode. Who does that!? My guess is that all those people who believed that they couldn't get past the grading by saying "I don't want to be graded" and got embarrassing grades because of it are feeling pretty stupid right now... :roll:
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Dr. Avery
D-Bee

Unread post by Dr. Avery »

Haven't posted in forever, but this intrigues me. Most of the basics (and some complicateds) have been covered. However, the original intent was free or cheap. I will add to that with my list as compact or multi-use.

1. An Eastwing roofing hammer/hatchet. About 3 pounds of the toughest steel put in modern laborers hands. Has an almost mallet-like hammer head and opposite a nice wedge-shaped blade, which has holes of varying size for pulling nails etc. I take mine camping every time I go. I also use it to practice throwing Instead of beating up my evpensive hawks. The hammer head makes a wicked counter balance which will sink the blade from 10 paces by my 8 year old an inch into solid oak: and I don't sharpen it.

2. A pocket multi-tool. One that is folding type plyers (Gerber, Leatherman, etc). Wide variance in type and style most include your basic 4. Blade, flathead, phillips, and bottle/can opener. However, I would be suree to find/aquire one with a 1/4 inch bit adapter (with the addition of a small bit set can potentially serve the purpose of hundreds of tools).

3. A backup Swiss Army style knife. I would try to find the type that has a magnifying glass and spoon. The varities of these are enormous and they have been mass produced since the 50's or earlier.

4. A small magnet. Can turn any small needle or sliver of metal into a basic compass. If you're unfamiliar with orienteering/navigation.

5. A portable crank or solar charger. Not cheap or free but has potential to make you damn near invaluable to small out-posts or stragglers. Charging, Small electronic devices for music, books, pictures, etc would go a long way to boosting morale as well. Most weigh less than a couple pounds today.

6. Razor blades. Easily hidden and limitlessly useful.

7. Charcoal. Not big store bought stuff but what you can make by depriving wood of oxygen. Takes a spark easy, replaces chalk, blacks weapons, camo, etc.

8. Mylar survival blankets. Can be used for self preservation, shelter, constructing solar ovens, etc. Very light weight and negligible bulk.

9. Iodine. Treats cuts, wounds, abbrasions, and can purify water.

10. Bicycle inner tube. Can be used as a bladder for liquid and the elasticity makes iti perfect for simple bows, slingshots, and snares.

11. 100 lb test fishing line. Sutures, snares, lashing, and (of course) fishing.

I have personally taken these items or less into deepwoods survival situations and I'm still alive. There are innumerable items which one could want during survival. However, the best tool is knoweledge. Soup or water can be boiled in a papercup. Tin foil can be sed to construct a solar oven. Arrowheads and basic cutting tools can be napped from glass bottles. Dental floss and an a abbrasive can cut through steel given time. All of these are items people discard as junk or walk past. In a real survival situation you are your best tool. However, since this is Dead Reign I want a motorcyce and a sawed off lined up in front of a raging horde with no way out but a 4 inch wide board ramped up on some milk crates..... GAME ON.... lol
Never take a Paladin to do an Assasins job.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Sometimes, the best equipment that remains either free or cheap is equipment that you build yourself. One example is the Foxhole Radio. Built from mere junk, some models can receive up to three radio channels, and are so easy to build that even POWs from the harshest of camps have been able to scrounge the materials up to build them. You really don't have to hire a team of scroungers or technicians to build them, and in a world like this, there are definitely lots of radio stations that either survived the Wave or were set up during the worldwide emergency, and to this day, radio is one of the last surviving mediums of the media. :wink: In a world where the dead walk the Earth and too many people tend to be worse than the undead, desperate people turn to radio for news, education, and entertainment, and listening to what may be the last worldwide source of such things can help morale. That could very well mean the difference between life and death in a great many cases. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a nice day everyone.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

Tirisilex wrote:Soo.. RPG's are a valuable resource for surviving a Zombie Apocalypse?

Not really. They're loud, you need a long LOS to fire them because of splash damage, and the ammo is gonna be a pain to find.

;)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If you can acquire tubs of whey protein in the zombie apocalypse, where do you find potable liquids to mix it with?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Traska wrote:

Not really. They're loud, you need a long LOS to fire them because of splash damage, and the ammo is gonna be a pain to find.

;)

That rules out Beer Pong too... :P Anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day!

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

If i remember correctly, because of the wide spread death, and collapse of society. Due to the abandonment of the cities because of teh zombie infestation isn't every thing free?
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Warmaster40k wrote:If i remember correctly, because of the wide spread death, and collapse of society. Due to the abandonment of the cities because of teh zombie infestation isn't every thing free?

If you can find it. If someone found it first, then it's only free if they want to give it to you for free.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Warmaster40k wrote:If i remember correctly, because of the wide spread death, and collapse of society. Due to the abandonment of the cities because of teh zombie infestation isn't every thing free?

Yes... after the zombie apocalypse.

flatline wrote:If you can find it. If someone found it first, then it's only free if they want to give it to you for free.

--flatline

That... and it will cost regular money if, say, someone managed to buy these things before the Wave ever happened, for scenarios that people would think to be more believable. Not many people before the Wave would be preparing for the zombie nightmares that would eventually happen after the Wave, and those who would be preparing for such things would be considered crackpots and eccentrics at best. Remember, many of these items would be useful for scenarios such as civil unrest, nuclear war, etc., and those would be the kinds of disasters most people who are into survival would have been preparing for, because zombies were, at the time, unbelievable urban legends.

However, after the zombie apocalypse occurs, some items would be "free," but only if they were pure salvage with no specific owners (Or if they are gifts, ala Flatline's idea...). If someone had one, and someone else wanted it without having the indecency to shoot the guy, he could barter for it, and these items would hence be "cheap" in material value rather than monetary value (But maybe a little more expensive post-Wave due to their usefulness and the need for it...). As a result, barter is the basis of the economy post-Wave. Even so, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
victor15065
Wanderer

Unread post by victor15065 »

I have a priest in my gripe and I let him make faith checks and a cross to hold them at bay the same way that the players do with their symbols do with all the false gods in the book
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I don't like that.

But I might include some Pattern Zombies who habitually pray when encountering certain religious symbols.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Tor wrote:I don't like that.

But I might include some Pattern Zombies who habitually pray when encountering certain religious symbols.

Or, if you want to lay a nasty trap for your PCs, you can have a choir of Pattern Zombies, but their ability to sing is so bad that it's effects are equivalent to the Zombie Moan! :twisted: But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Elly_G
D-Bee
Comment: "I hold with those who favor fire."

Unread post by Elly_G »

Beeswax survival candles.

Take Altoids tins, or any leftover tin, and melt the wax into it, insert two or three short wicks of waxed cotton mop head before it dries.
Instant easy use candle with no drip or smoke.

Bees Wax is good for coating things you need to recondition to keep out water, or for unsticking an old zipper.
It's good to rub onto skin that is exposed to the cold.
Keeps your tools from rusting!
Wax your thread when sewing to keep the threads from knotting.
Use on a squeaky door hinge.
"Poetry is not truth, It's just deception with a little class."
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

As a note. Crossbows aren't nearly as silent as people seem to think. They make sound when you shoot them. They're not as loud as a gun shot but a ninja you ain't. More over they kick too. People seldom know that before they shoot them. They can also be a hassle to reload. You either have to have sufficient strength to do so, (Not as common as one might think) or have a crank or system to do so.

Sure sure Daryl is wicked cool and makes it look good on the Walking dead, but in truth, you have about one shot. If you don't miss and IF the cross bow is strong enough to go into the skull (Shooting in through the eye is a difficult shot).

Cross bows are taking the near mythical spot that Katana's have had for years. In truth Katana's aren't that -great- of swords. You just see them in alot of movies and treated as cool. If you don't know what you're doing with a katana you can snap the blade just swinging it. Much less hitting things with it. And the fabled "FOLDING!!" That everyone gets hyper about, does make for a 'stronger' blade, but only because the steel being used was absolute crap and they needed to be folded to produce something from pig iron. More over the 'oh it was folded 400 times!!" thing was also crap. You fold the steel to minimize an overabundance of carbon, but you need some in the blade. If you actually folded the steel 400 times, You'd work out too much, the result would be so brittle as to snap the first time you hit anything (Correctly or not)

Crossbows are kinda the same. People see Daryl using one on Walking dead and think they're the end all!! They're nice for hunting. If you know what you're doing. They're NOT multi shot weapons (Unless you're using the Mythbuster's set up the size of a compact car and even then it broke alot). If you wanted that sort of weapon you'd be much better served using a bow and arrow. You'd shoot faster, and 'easier'. quieter.

Just not as cool as Daryl.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Tor wrote:
G wrote:
Oberoth wrote:Carabiner's and chain. For quickly locking shut chain link fence gates quickly.

that is a rather limited use item. You might be better off with zip ties or hand cuffs

The problem with cuffs or zip ties is that means if you later want to open the door you need a key or a pair of scissors or edged knife to get back through, which might not be immediately on hand in an emergency.

Well, the other problem with zip ties is that they're not all that strong.
Even with police zip ties, a person can struggle out of them in a couple minutes if they try, and if you zip-tie a gate shut, and the undead keep pushing on it back and forth, the zip will break.
They're also not very weather-resistant, if you're looking at the long term (unless you get some of the really heavy ones).

While a carabiner can't do everything that a zip-tie can, it can do a number of jobs (like locking a gate) one heck of a lot better.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Tor wrote:
G wrote:

Even with police zip ties, a person can struggle out of them in a couple minutes if they try, and if you zip-tie a gate shut, and the undead keep pushing on it back and forth, the zip will break.
They're also not very weather-resistant, if you're looking at the long term (unless you get some of the really heavy ones).

While a carabiner can't do everything that a zip-tie can, it can do a number of jobs (like locking a gate) one heck of a lot better.

Ehhhhh depends on the ziptie. The average person is -not- going to struggle out of properly applied zip cuffs any more than he will properly applied handcuffs. I.E. you put them on hella tight, not caring about the targets comfort. The only way to get out would be to rip off the flesh of your hand and break some bones. As for breaking them, it's about like handcuffs. Can some huge troll of a man break them? Maybe. just like one might break cuffs, high on pcp or something. Possible, but unlikely. There's even steel core zip ties and you're not breaking those with out bolt cutters. I think some people might be thinking about the little tiny ones you use to secure the cords on your PC. Not the big ones used in mechanics or indeed designed to restrain people.

Now that's for restraining someone. If I were trying to secure a fence I'd use something else. To be honest. You don't really need 'long term' options on a fence. If it holds for a few minutes or hours you're pretty good to go. Any group of zombies big enough to bust through a fence secured by stuff would likely just push fences over and walk right over them.

All in all 'fences' aren't really meant to stand up to weight or effort to bring them down. They tend to be weak between the posts and even then, weight will topple them pretty quick. A secured fence might hold back 1... 5.. 10 zombies, but more than that and it's coming down.(Depending on the fence) So a quick secure of a gate or something to get the heck out of dodge is all you need. If you need long term security you don't want a fence. You want a wall. Even then, Zombies could ramp up or push over the wall, depending.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Tor wrote:
G wrote:

Ehhhhh depends on the ziptie. The average person is -not- going to struggle out of properly applied zip cuffs any more than he will properly applied handcuffs. I.E. you put them on hella tight, not caring about the targets comfort. The only way to get out would be to rip off the flesh of your hand and break some bones.

Not really.
They're plastic, and by moving your arms back and forth, you can stretch them out, then slip out of them.
This is according to a cop I know, and he's seen people do it, after being zipped with police ties, by police.
Putting them on really tight helps, but it's still just a matter of minutes.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:Not really.
They're plastic, and by moving your arms back and forth, you can stretch them out, then slip out of them.
This is according to a cop I know, and he's seen people do it, after being zipped with police ties, by police.

Ehh. I'll believe my own experience before "A cop i know," by a guy on the internet. Hell the zipties I have you're not breaking unless you're the Hulk. Yes they're plastic but not the stretchy I'll just move my arms and bend it' type.

There's guys that say they can 'flex' out of steel handcuffs too, but I've yet to meet a guy that can.

Have you ever tried to just 'break' a Ziptie? even a tiny one?

But it's nothing worth really arguing about. :)

flatline
Knight

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Not really.

Ehh. I'll believe my own experience before "A cop i know," by a guy on the internet. Hell the zipties I have you're not breaking unless you're the Hulk. Yes they're plastic but not the stretchy I'll just move my arms and bend it' type.

There's guys that say they can 'flex' out of steel handcuffs too, but I've yet to meet a guy that can.

Have you ever tried to just 'break' a Ziptie? even a tiny one?

But it's nothing worth really arguing about. :)

I grabbed an 8" ziptie out of the garage, made a loop with it, and then worked it for an hour at first with just my hands, and then with two pairs of pliers. I was unable to budge it in the least.

I don't know how my zipties from Lowes (Home Depot?) compare to what the police use, but I was impressed by this.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

I think I recall in Day by Day Armageddon that the protagonist once ziptied a loading gate on the local pharmacy to keep the zombies out while he "harvested" some supplies for his friends. However, I read the novel a long while ago so I don't know how it went. As it seems, zipties are great for a lot of things I guess, but if I were to do what they did in the novel I mentioned, I would do like he did and use it as a temporary measure until I can get out with the goods. So remember these three words: Deter, Delay, and Defend. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

And this concludes your Zombie Apocalypse Public Service Announcement for the day!
Thank you for reading!

*Grins and gives Whassupman03 a :ok: *

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I do not know what zipties KC 's sources were using but I can guarantee cops and the military would not use them if any guy could just work out of them in a few minutes. Add that to the fact I am yet to see a heavy duty zip tie bend when tightened in to place (like around a pair of wrists or anything else for that matter), and I do use them in the line of work I am in to hold clamps and such in place, and yeah you ain't working out of them in a few hours let alone a few minutes as flatline's example above shows with even regular old house hold zip ties.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Killer Cyborg
Priest

jaymz wrote:I do not know what zipties KC 's sources were using but I can guarantee cops and the military would not use them if any guy could just work out of them in a few minutes.

Whatever the county sheriff's department uses.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Could well be that I misunderstood part of the conversation, or that I'm misremembering it.
I'll try my own experiment when I get a chance.

Meanwhile, here's a link on how to escape zip ties:
http://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/loc ... -zip-ties/

flatline
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Could well be that I misunderstood part of the conversation, or that I'm misremembering it.
I'll try my own experiment when I get a chance.

Meanwhile, here's a link on how to escape zip ties:
http://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/loc ... -zip-ties/

The shimming with a fingernail technique doesn't work against the 8-inch zip ties I have because the mechanism is too small for a fingernail to fit inside of. I was, however, able to do it with a toothpick. On larger zip ties, I agree that this could work. In fact, I've done this in the past with nails or screwdrivers when we wanted to take something apart without damaging the zip tie.

I'm not willing to try breaking out of them as they show in the video because my only helpers today are a 4 and 7 year old...I don't want them to try imitating it on their own and if something goes wrong, I don't know that they could really help me.

--flatline

Killer Cyborg
Priest

flatline wrote:I'm not willing to try breaking out of them as they show in the video because my only helpers today are a 4 and 7 year old...I don't want them to try imitating it on their own and if something goes wrong, I don't know that they could really help me.

--flatline

:lol:

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Well I know the ones used up here arent big enough to use fingernails to "shimmy"....

mind you they don't zip tie their hands in front of them either....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I just put up a fence around my deck using zip ties to tether it to some steel stakes in the ground, and found some old pipe things I think would be good anti-zombie blunts.

About crossbows, I think Daryl knows about the slow reload which is why he keeps his distance and has other weapons as backup for HtH. Also good in teams since friends can cover you during reload.

The slowness and stupidness of zombies allows more reload time for crossbows than you would normally have against normal humans who might run at you.

Plus great if you have a perch, wall to shoot from.

Anyone who just saw Ragnar versus Paris in the show Vikings knows how good crossbows are, even if they are slow.

BTW what I saw... were those ballistas? I thought maybe an Arbalist but it seemed too big.
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

An count down timer..one of the 60 minute cheapo ones that ring with a bell.

They weigh enough to be thrown as far as you are strong enough to throw them, have a bell that will attract zombies and/or people. You can lead them away from you, into traps or towards your enemies.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

As seen on the walking dead, when Carl went to get mooches from the only other teen girl seemingly in existence!

whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Not to backtrack too much, but there's a great zip tie article in the May 2015 article of American Survival Guide.[sup]1[/sup] Anyway, I just thought that y'all might want to know. :-)

G wrote:An count down timer..one of the 60 minute cheapo ones that ring with a bell.

They weigh enough to be thrown as far as you are strong enough to throw them, have a bell that will attract zombies and/or people. You can lead them away from you, into traps or towards your enemies.

That's genius! :-D Quite definitely a blinding flash of the obvious for me of course. Good idea! Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:

[1]: Source: http://pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?catid=1035&category=Leisure+Interest&subcatid=219&subcategory=Outdoors&title=American+Survival+Guide&titleid=1874

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

lol Seriously, it was done on walking dead a week or two before it was posted here.

(Not trying to be mean but lets give credit where credit's due)

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I actually own one of those egg timers and this did not occur to me.
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

a handcuff key hidden on your person. The walking dead aren't the only enemy.
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

G wrote:a handcuff key hidden on your person. The walking dead aren't the only enemy.

Agreed! But really, you don't have to put it in your pocket (Especially if you are searched by the bandit, raider, or marauder... :bandit:), because one can sow a handcuff key into the cuff of one's shirt, so that one could remove handcuffs that have been applied to the arms. Pre-Wave, I'm sure you can buy those, if they are legal in your jurisdiction. Or post-Wave, I'm sure you could scrounge them off a dead or undead police officer, or remove them from a police vehicle or even their premises. Even so, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I have one of these. You can clip them on the inside of the back of your belt or wallet

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0328/8 ... de.jpg?217

CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Sewing kit. Just did some basic sewing repairs on a pair of my cargo pants. I'm not great at sewing, but it's serviceable at least. Can also be used to stitch up wounds at a pinch, and also for fishing with.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!

Return to “Dead Reign™”