Torn to pieces..when does a victim start getting torn apart?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Torn to pieces..when does a victim start getting torn apart?

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

As a GM I haven't had to come up with a decision as far as having a character ripped apart by zombies. YET :lol:
I was wondering at what point or if need be a mechanic for PC mangling, dismemberment and mutilation?

I know zombies are strong and that unlike other zombie canon, bites don't create zombies, so what would be a good point on the SDC/HP downslide should victims start losing limbs and/or have their internal organs go external?
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Re: Torn to pieces..when does a victim start getting torn apart?

Unread post by azazel1024 »

I'd say after death in reality.

Other than cinema, it isn't easy to simply disembowel a person with nothing more than your hands. Even really strong ones. Same with ripping a limb off. That takes a HUGE amount of strength (we are talking like horse level of strength here, and even then, not easy). A zombie being simply a couple of times stronger than your average human wouldn't be sufficient to cause disembowelment or limb rippage-off without some serious knawing first.

At least in dead reign, zombies aren't generally going in to eat you. They are simply going in to kill you. That could involve some biting, but a lot of times it is likely to be more throttling/choking, bashing with fists, slamming you in to things, etc. More likely than not you are going to be choked/beaten to death than you are to have chunk of you torn off (let alone entire limbs).

Its not as "fun" as traditional zombie lore, but that is at least how DR portrays things.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

azazel1024 wrote:
At least in dead reign, zombies aren't generally going in to eat you. They are simply going in to kill you. That could involve some biting, but a lot of times it is likely to be more throttling/choking, bashing with fists, slamming you in to things, etc. More likely than not you are going to be choked/beaten to death than you are to have chunk of you torn off (let alone entire limbs).

Its not as "fun" as traditional zombie lore, but that is at least how DR portrays things.

Mechanic-wise the no bitey, no eaty killscene might not be apparent rules-wise, but the artwork and vibe tells a slightly different story. I probably will have permanent maiming start when the victim is deep down past SDC and HP and/or to a lesser degree when a natural twenty is rolled. I'll have to stare deep into the abyss to figure it out...or just wing it. Eh?

I want my game to resemble a Cannibal Corpse album cover rather than Rocky 2.

azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Even if you go in for zombies attempting to do a lot of munching on a person, the most that is likely to happen is some chunks get torn out. Maybe losing an ear, or eye, or some fingers or something. Again, it is extremely difficult to dismember a person without tools same with disembowelment. You'd really have to knaw on someone for awhile to cause that kind of damage.

I'd say effectively when they are at zero SDC and HP (IE rolling versus coma death time). Tearing a limb off or disemboweling someone is going to be fatal without immediate and extreme medical attention, so in effect they should be at 0 SDC and HP for that to occur (or else dismembering or disemboweling reduces them to or below 0 SDC and HP).
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

azazel1024 wrote:
I'd say effectively when they are at zero SDC and HP (IE rolling versus coma death time). Tearing a limb off or disemboweling someone is going to be fatal without immediate and extreme medical attention, so in effect they should be at 0 SDC and HP for that to occur (or else dismembering or disemboweling reduces them to or below 0 SDC and HP).

Exactly...the impact of having a PC running around after surviving having an eye gouged out and eaten before them or an ear or finger ripped off would be fun for me.

It's much more interesting saying something like, "Joe Zelenski, you get dragged into an undead swarm, they pull, they bite, they tear, Joe you feel the jagged fingernail plunge itself into your eye socket..."
Rather than, Joe Z. gets hit for 13HP taking you down to 2.

I really prefer describing stuff in physical terms rather than HP's and SDC's. Morbid stuff, I love it.

robertbc73

Unread post by robertbc73 »

I have to admit this is a topic that gets your attention. LOL That being said, yeah I would have to say being almost at deaths door before anything massive happens parts wise. Because who will come back from it normally. Arm pulled off, massive loss of blood, might get a heroic action in; but unless they are a hospital thats all she wrote.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

robertbc73 wrote:I have to admit this is a topic that gets your attention. LOL That being said, yeah I would have to say being almost at deaths door before anything massive happens parts wise. Because who will come back from it normally. Arm pulled off, massive loss of blood, might get a heroic action in; but unless they are a hospital thats all she wrote.

Best thing about having an arm ripped off....all ready now for a chainsaw arm.

robertbc73

Unread post by robertbc73 »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:
robertbc73 wrote:I have to admit this is a topic that gets your attention. LOL That being said, yeah I would have to say being almost at deaths door before anything massive happens parts wise. Because who will come back from it normally. Arm pulled off, massive loss of blood, might get a heroic action in; but unless they are a hospital thats all she wrote.

Best thing about having an arm ripped off....all ready now for a chainsaw arm.

Go Army of Darkness!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I could see a finger getting ripped off as more plausible. Zombies want to grab and catch you. But once they do, they're probably not going to put you in an armbar or deadlift your arm out of the shoulder socket. A finger might be an example of a zombie pulling 1 way and a person (or more likely, the person's friends) pulling in the other direction.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

add the total ps of all zombies ripping into said character then roll ps vs the hoard ps.this was a house rule from riftsto takedown a character with supernatural ps. yea you are strong but thirty or forty soldiers are stronger. in this game I would make the player subtract hf from the role also.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

In an ultimate warrior episode, they had three strongmen rip into a body to see how quickly they could get at the heart. The simulated torso lasted about 10 seconds before they were through the stomach cavity and ripping stuff out.

In game mechanics, I would have to say after all SDC was gone and they were at at least 1/2 HP.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
arthurfallz
Wanderer

Unread post by arthurfallz »

They don't have the optional damage tables in Dead Reign... hmm...

Here's what I would rule. Every attack that does Hit Point damage has a % chance equal to the Hit Point damage inflicted to do permanent damage. Maybe double if you want to play a harsh and nasty game.

Or open up a copy of another, older or different Palladium game and use the optional injury tables from there.
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong; that's called learning.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Torn to pieces..when does a victim start getting torn ap

Unread post by Tor »

Icefalcon wrote:In an ultimate warrior episode, they had three strongmen rip into a body to see how quickly they could get at the heart.
Would this be Deadliest Warrior or some other program? Usually DW uses weapons, sounds different...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Tor wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:In an ultimate warrior episode, they had three strongmen rip into a body to see how quickly they could get at the heart.
Would this be Deadliest Warrior or some other program? Usually DW uses weapons, sounds different...

Your right, it is Deadliest Warrior. My apologies.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
CarCrasher
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by CarCrasher »

In one of the books there is a table that helps to determine what HP and SDC percentages limbs are given. When the character is being mobbed use those numbers to determine dismemberment and hilarity will ensue.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Since zombies tend to be more durable than humans, giving the same damage-per-location to the average human and allowing zombies to called-shot us the exact same way we do them, would not seem out of line to me.

I think the Flesh Eaters in particular should always by going for the throat, while every other zombie is probably just going to head-butt you to death.

I honestly don't know why zombies would ever punch you. The Fast Attack I can see kicking since that's their forte, but for everyone else, they should just headbutt.

I mean... it's the same or better damage, plus people can entangle your limbs but I don't think you can entangle a head.

Return to “Dead Reign™”