Farm setting

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Maull3r
D-Bee

Farm setting

Unread post by Maull3r »

Johnson's Farm
A once small and beautiful cattle farm is now a ruined and unoccupied residence. For months this place as been left abandoned, the road leading up to the estate is broken and grass has grown completely over the gravel path. If you did not have a keen eye you would almost certainly pass over this as you were traveling along the highway. The trees and foliage lining the way has grown thick and green. Rabbits and squirrels litter this place so walking down this long and lonesome road is unnerving at the slight sound of rustling. In the distance the trees start to form a straight line as if the owners once used this place for a lumber mill. Each step a player makes cracks and rumbles the gravel and sticks under them. Approaching the manor the players can see the gate that once surrounded the property broken and in shambles as if the walking dead climbed and crawled over it. Dragging marks show that this could be a possibility but soon disappear towards the house. As the player pans their surrounding they first lay eyes on the large rust colored barn far left of the gated land, soon they see 3 large sheds two of which have machinery sitting on the out side walls. Finally they rest their eyes onto the house. With everything rusting and falling apart the three story house shines with a vibrant blue color, with pure white shudders on all the windows. It looks as if nothing has even lived there when it was built. The white porch has rocking chairs sprawled all around its deck with beautiful marble columns holding up the ceiling that covers the porch of the suns rays.

What do ppl think so far?
Last edited by Maull3r on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maull3r
D-Bee

Re: Farm setting

Unread post by Maull3r »

Blood stains cover the ground as they walk towards the barn. The closer they get they start to hear the creaking of the side door swinging up and shut from the wind. The sound very unsettling to the calm backdrop from the rest of the landscape. As they approach they see the main barn doors shut and boarded up with wood and metal bars nailed booth doors shut. They slowly approach the side door with caution hearing the creaking at different times which send more tension for the players. Walking in is dark the only light seems to shine from some holes in the ceiling as well as the doorway. Hay seems to be covering the whole floor and a few dead cattle carcasses are seen from the dim sunlight. A pitchfork is sticking out of the wall about 10 feet where one of the main doors would be, the shadow covering over half of it.

(roll for % of enemies in the barn)
01-09:none
10-21: 3d4 Slouchers
22-39: 1d6 Slouchers, 1 Fast Attack Zombie
40-59: 6 Slouchers, 2 Crawlers
60-79: 2 Slouchers, 3 Crawlers, 1 Juggernaut
80-89: 1d10 Slouchers, 1 Death Priest
90-99: 3 Retro Savages
100: 4 Raiders
gdub411
Wanderer

Unread post by gdub411 »

I like it, but why random?
Maull3r
D-Bee

Unread post by Maull3r »

Random feels more or less nerve wrecking for both players and GM to not actually know whats in there. I will keep writing and have more set encounters. Just trying to get some thoughts.
Maull3r
D-Bee

Unread post by Maull3r »

Also I can make set encounters for each random table if you wish for your campaign.
Maull3r
D-Bee

Unread post by Maull3r »

After the encounter the players can search around the barn. (If Raiders were there then there will be those equipment). Players can find over 200 2x4 planks of wood. (For any gun use at the farm will signal 2d6 slouchers at 100 M, 3d6 at 500 M 2d10 at 1000 M same for Zombie Moaning). Walking out of the barn they can hear a few slight groans coming from the sheds. (If the players check around the barn they will notice the silos that are destroyed and the bricks piled high against the back wall). Creeping up on the three buildings they see tractors, pallet trucks,pallet jacks, random tools laying around rusted over. The sheds stand a close 15 feet tall. The paint chipped laying on the grass and dirt surrounding each building shows the once color these gorgeous structures. Coming up to the first door, the players open the shed door. The wheels on the track creak with every rotation. The pungent smell of death overcomes the room. The smell of cooper suddenly wiffs into each players nostrils. The door swings open and light pours into the room. Blood is covering the floor as the bodies of dead rats litter the walls of the shed. A large hole is seen in the back wall with the splitters lining the cement and bloodied floor as if something broke into this shed. Searching the shed you find power tools and it seems like a brand new generator. Each of the tools don't seem to be rusted since they were protected from the elements. The second shed visually the same as the first. The door half open. As they approach this door they see fingers wrapping around the door as it gets pushed open. Out walks a lone Sloucher as he see's his prey. Once the players get to see inside the shed they find more planks of wood piled under a work bench. The work bench is as long at the side wall of the shed (about 25 feet). Scattered is notes and what looks like the electrical fence circuit board. The players find them selves onto the third shed. The ceiling seems caved in towards the back and the door has been ripped open and destroyed. The players sneak around to look inside. A man in overalls standing in front of them rummaging through the shed as if he is looking for something. If a player tries to get their attention, the man turns around and they see a jaw less figure spewing blood from his throat and neck as he walks forward. The name on his clothes says "Spencer". This shed is riddled with boxes of screws and nails hundreds all sized and boxed. The floor is strewn with miscellaneous bits and wrenches.
Maull3r
D-Bee

Unread post by Maull3r »

New rendition and more on this farm setting coming out soon!
Michael Barakofsky
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Michael Barakofsky »

Sounds good so far, the random encounter tables also work fine given the random nature of a ZA setting. Will there be zeds, hostile humans, friendly humans or worse waiting around the next corner? You won't know until you look, and potentially get your face bit off.
"If ya pardon me plain speaking gentlemen: Are yall STARK RAVING TOTALLY BLINKING DAFT!?!?!" - Captain Silver, Treasure Planet
John 3:16 says it all
Maull3r
D-Bee

Unread post by Maull3r »

I am sorry I havent updated this il over 2 years I have been super busy with moving and comedy but I hope to bring the rest of the farm to life and then maybe see if i can get it published.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Nice.

\m/_ -.- _\m/
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Maull3r
D-Bee

Unread post by Maull3r »

Bull you like the setting so far?
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Oh yes. I am trying to find (preferably) or get a Dead Reign game going as it is.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane

Return to “Dead Reign™”