Vehicle Graveyard Clearing Proceedures & Best Practices

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tearstone
Adventurer

Vehicle Graveyard Clearing Proceedures & Best Practices

Unread post by Tearstone »

Everyone knows that Vehicle Graveyards are a dangerous place that can hide crawler zombies, walkers, and more. And they can range from dormant, to active, and you never can be quite sure where they're hiding. But, on the other hand a vehicle graveyard can be a treasure trove of supplies and gear needed. You can find food, water, clothing, tools, weapons, spare parts, fuel, possibly even entertainment, and more survival gear.

It is often the rewards that make investigating a graveyard worthwhile. However, it must be done in a responsible and careful manner.

When a vehicle graveyard is located, it is best for the edges to be scouted to determine the size of the graveyard. It should be marked and notated clearly on a map that keeps track of such things with size, number of cars, and if it has been raided, and/or cleared out. The leadership should decided whether it that day is a good day to handle the graveyard, or if they should wait.

At such time is convenient, it is best to have several options for vehicle removal, from a good heavy duty truck with heavy towing chain, to a tow-truck/wrecker, to even a forklift. The forklift is often a great choice, so nobody has to break into the vehicle to put it into neutral. They can simply slide the forks under the vehicle, lift it up, and back out of the area with it, and take it off to the side.

Once the vehicle has been relocated, a team of no less than four should open the car up completely and clear it of any dormant or now active zombies. After that the team should quickly empty the car if it needs it, and assess what is useful and what should be tossed. Hoses, wiring, battery, gas, maybe oil, car seats, vinyl, carpeting, nuts, bolts, screws, whatever was in the car... all useful and more.

The trick is to not work within the graveyard, but to separate out individual vehicles and clear them one at a time away from the main body of cars. Or if need be... drive off with the vehicle on the forklift, come back later for another vehicle. If you take it all the way back to your safe haven, its possible to completely tear apart the car, even using the body and stuff for scrap metal and building materials.

In this regard finding a mobile work truck with a mobile welder and oxyacetylene cutting rig is a godsend and can make the work much easier.

A small team can do piecemeal salvage operations like this, but it is often best done with a much larger group of volunteers. the work can go much faster apace.

Obviously I've glossed over details, and will have to fill in some of the finer ones, but this is generally how the group in one of my private games deals with the pickle of Vehicle Graveyards.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Re: Vehicle Graveyard Clearing Proceedures & Best Practices

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Most tow trucks can easily tow a car even with the emergency brake on or the transmission in gear/park for a FWD/AWD vehicle. Sure it eats the tires, but if the point is to only drag it maybe 100ft, no big deal.

So most/all wreckers/tow trucks would work great for your tactic. In fact there are some tow trucks design specificaly for "snatch and grab" operations by repo guys and a lot of the guys who do towing for illegal parking. They want/need to get out of there quick before the owner can confront them both because it is safer for the tow/repo team and also because in a lot of jurisdictions you CANNOT tow if the owner tells you to stop. That and plenty of tow companies work more than just a little illicitly (IE towing vehicles that don't have expired meters, towing from areas that are not tow away zones, etc).

Basically the tow truck has a set of "forks" on the rear that start facing out from the rear of the truck, when it is backed up the force contact the wheels and rotate outward so that they craddle the front/rear wheels. It then jacks that end of the truck up some and pulls the vehicle on to the bed of the tow truck.

I've watch guys hoist a car up on to the bed of their truck in all of about 15 seconds doing this, all without having to try attach chains or anything else potentially dangerous in a zed situation.
Tearstone
Adventurer

I saw one of those specific trucks earlier today while on the road.

Another good tactic is to have a 18-wheeler near the scavaging and disassembly area that materials can be quickly loaded on to. Barring that, a box truck is a good idea.

Glad you guys like the techniques and ideas presented.

Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

azazel1024 wrote:Most tow trucks can easily tow a car even with the emergency brake on or the transmission in gear/park for a FWD/AWD vehicle. Sure it eats the tires, but if the point is to only drag it maybe 100ft, no big deal.

Having been a Mechanic for 13 years Iv'e seen it all concerning tow jobs. Worked maintaining a city fleet of tow trucks for several years. Even the most basic Light tow truck will have what are called Dollies.

They are a set of wheels on a couple bars that the operator fixes in place on either side of the rear wheels (as shown in the URL). Through mechanical advantage coupled with a long bar, each Dollie wheel is ratcheted up like a jack. It takes about five minutes to set up if your a well practiced operator. It could be done faster if their were two operators. One for each side.

Small groups on the run may or may not have a Light tow truck, but could clear small yards for supplies and gas with or without. Large groups with a safe haven/shop will be in the best position to pull this off and could conceivably have medium to heavy tow trucks for use. That being said, this type of equipment requires a substantial amount of maintenance and repair even for a couple light trucks.

http://americantowing360.com/sitebuilde ... llies2.jpg
Tearstone
Adventurer

Well if they have full time grease monkeys with a good supply of parts, and access to a machine shop, I don't think it is all that far fetched. Especially if such cleaning operations are done sporadically. Also because of the wear and tear, that's why Forklifts are sometimes used too.

But again, graveyard clearing is done sporadically. Also, some of those scavenged vehicles can be used to help shore up defenses, from barricades to creating choke and funnel points to funnel Walkers and raiders into kill zones and kill boxes.

azazel1024
Champion

You could probably get away with a simple stake bed truck, like one of those F-350 conversion jobs. Of course depending on the size of the graveyard and how much you planned to clear. Some of those cars are going to be packed with every single posession the people leaving could cram in. Others aren't going to be much more than a bag or tow and some dead people in it.

I'd also get one of those really good mechanical syphons, a 42 gallon drum (well, several actually) and a dollie. Yank the car out (if you can), have 2 people go over the car and one to stuff the hose in to the fuel tank and quick syphon out any gas that is left. You can have a small winch on the rear cab of the stakebed truck to haul filled or almost fille drums up in to the bed (42 gallon drum filled with gas is about 300lbs, so not something you are going to easily haul all on your lonesome). Some of those mechanical syphons (the kind with the handcrank) could easily syphon a tank in 3 minutes unless it is on a really big truck (3-4gpm).
Tearstone
Adventurer

What you're talking about with the gas and syphons is one of the very first things this group does.

Well, after checking it for zombies.

ArmySGT.
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ArmySGT. »

I would think the first action would be to lure any active Zombies out into the open. A slow ride by on horseback and get the to reveal themselves and thus dispatched.

Next I would haul the vehicles a short distance and set them up in a field in nice rows of like types. Clear the road completely and then sort for the choice finds.

I like the forklift idea but it needs to be one of the really large 10k fork lifts. The ones you find in most warehouses are not going to lift a car completely, will lift one end or tip one over though.

Seems like you need three teams. Security that watches out for everyone, Vehicles that tows or lifts the cars, truck, etc out and repositions them. Salvage and search a group that methodically picks the abandoned vehicles over for useful items.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

What is so valuable in a vehicle grave yard? All the items listed in the orginal post can be found in stores. The only thing I can think of is a specific spare part salvaged off a vehicle needed to repair an existing one. Or perhaps a particularly cool/desireable vehicle. Unless there is a specific reason for entering they seem too dangerous for general salvage operations. If I need sheet metal I am hitting a welding supply warehouse for new stock. Not salvaging off cars. Danger area! Bypass!

But If using the above tactic I would use a heavy duty diesel forklift like a Hyster H400HDS (Max speed: 19.2 mph, Max Lift: 40,500 lbs) with a fabricated armored drivers compartments and a enclosed armored crows nest with white and IR spotlights. In the crows nest are 4 shooters each covering a cardinal direction. Armed with using supressed, night vision scoped, semiautomatic precision rifles i.e. Mk 12 SPR with AN/PEQ-14 Integrated Laser/White Light Pointer. You could snatch cars all day with such a set up and never have to dismount.

A big rig tow truck would be ideal for snatching those 16 wheelers and their valuable trailers full of cargo.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

Tearstone wrote:What you're talking about with the gas and syphons is one of the very first things this group does.

Well, after checking it for zombies.

With a manual rotary pump (better yet an electric one) and 10 ft of hose you could hit a gas station for thousands of gallons. Hand siphoning is for emergencies only.
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
ArmySGT.
Dungeon Crawler

Wooly wrote:What is so valuable in a vehicle grave yard?
That the number of Zombies becomes a manageable risk.

Going into even a small town runs the risk of dozens if not hundreds of the undead.

A jumble of 100 cars on the highway miles from an urban area presents as much value to a smart salvage team as any small town.
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

ArmySGT. wrote:

Going into even a small town runs the risk of dozens if not hundreds of the undead.

A jumble of 100 cars on the highway miles from an urban area presents as much value to a smart salvage team as any small town.

Why wouldn't a smart salvage team be able to clean out a small town? Dig a 5 ft ditch/moat about 3/4 miles outside of town and soak some rags in old oil and put them in the bottom of the ditch. At the edge of town, sit in the back of a truck and yell until a small group is following (Be aware of the moan/convergance, you don't want a whole butt-ton of them after you.) have a 42 gallon drum of gas that you are methodically pumping a squirt every set distance on the road for a good 25 yards (While a friend drives) then toss a molotov. When you arive to the ditch, set up shooting range on top of the dirt you dug out with the ditch between you and them. Flame them when they get stuck in the ditch. There shouldn't be more than a dozen by the time you get to the ditch, if there is cut and run.
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
ArmySGT.
Dungeon Crawler

Illendaver wrote:
ArmySGT. wrote:

Why wouldn't a smart salvage team be able to clean out a small town? Dig a 5 ft ditch/moat about 3/4 miles outside of town and soak some rags in old oil and put them in the bottom of the ditch. At the edge of town, sit in the back of a truck and yell until a small group is following (Be aware of the moan/convergance, you don't want a whole butt-ton of them after you.) have a 42 gallon drum of gas that you are methodically pumping a squirt every set distance on the road for a good 25 yards (While a friend drives) then toss a molotov. When you arive to the ditch, set up shooting range on top of the dirt you dug out with the ditch between you and them. Flame them when they get stuck in the ditch. There shouldn't be more than a dozen by the time you get to the ditch, if there is cut and run.

per game rules. The Zombies avoid fire.
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

Thats why its just gas and oil rags until you toss a molotov on them to set the fuel on fire.
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

One of the best things to salvage from car graveyards would be the leaf springs from every vehicle. These can be used as sword blanks that only require minimum hammering and grinding to turn them into swords. They are already tempered and hardened so that as long as you do not let them get too hot during the shaping process, they will make VERY good swords.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Icefalcon wrote:One of the best things to salvage from car graveyards would be the leaf springs from every vehicle. These can be used as sword blanks that only require minimum hammering and grinding to turn them into swords. They are already tempered and hardened so that as long as you do not let them get too hot during the shaping process, they will make VERY good swords.

My Tai Chi sword is made from spring steel (as all good Tai Chi swords are) but I have no reason to believe that it's the same spring steel that leaf springs are made from.

Would swords made from leaf springs keep an edge?

--flatline
Icefalcon
Champion

flatline wrote:
Icefalcon wrote:One of the best things to salvage from car graveyards would be the leaf springs from every vehicle. These can be used as sword blanks that only require minimum hammering and grinding to turn them into swords. They are already tempered and hardened so that as long as you do not let them get too hot during the shaping process, they will make VERY good swords.

My Tai Chi sword is made from spring steel (as all good Tai Chi swords are) but I have no reason to believe that it's the same spring steel that leaf springs are made from.

Would swords made from leaf springs keep an edge?

--flatline

Leaf springs are made from spring steel but I am not sure if it is the same type. I do know that the sword would keep an edge just as long as a sword made the regular way and would have just as much spring if you did the bend test.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

actually, you can use parts from vehicles to build a large number of useful things in a post-apoc setting. google "the Steampunks guide to the Apocalypse", its a free PDf that has a number of suggestions for items that can be built by recycling stuff from our technological society, as long with a lot of suggestions about conditions, obtaining water, dealing with waste, obtaining food, etc. would be a fairly useful book to have for post-apoc Gm's... though you have to put up with a lot of 'holier than thou' arrogance about how lousy our modern technological is supposed to be. :roll:
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
azazel1024
Champion

One issue with using leaf springs to make a flexible sword, part of what makes the steel flexible is the process of making it. If you just go about forging and hammering out a sword from a leaf spring, I doubt it would have nearly the same properties (unless you went about annealing it the same way, etc).
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

azazel1024 wrote:One issue with using leaf springs to make a flexible sword, part of what makes the steel flexible is the process of making it. If you just go about forging and hammering out a sword from a leaf spring, I doubt it would have nearly the same properties (unless you went about annealing it the same way, etc).

If you can grind it to the shape and edge that you want without heating it significantly, then maybe you could make your sword from it and preserve the properties of the metal. I'll have to do some research on leaf springs...

--flatline
Icefalcon
Champion

flatline wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:One issue with using leaf springs to make a flexible sword, part of what makes the steel flexible is the process of making it. If you just go about forging and hammering out a sword from a leaf spring, I doubt it would have nearly the same properties (unless you went about annealing it the same way, etc).

If you can grind it to the shape and edge that you want without heating it significantly, then maybe you could make your sword from it and preserve the properties of the metal. I'll have to do some research on leaf springs...

--flatline

As long as you do not heat it during the shaping process, they make great swords.
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Icefalcon wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

As long as you do not heat it during the shaping process, they make great swords.

Flatline, just go talk to these people instead of listening to the forum 'experts'.
http://www.himalayan-imports.com/
The owner - Yangdu Martino is a nice lady and is also the moderator here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forum ... Imports?s=
They will gladly tell you how leaf springs have been used to make great knives and swords by them and the world over for decades, they could even tell you which vehicle models is preferred by each kami -blacksmith.
You can learn from them that it is not as hard or as complicated as some here may try to make you believe using leaf springs, when in fact it is actually the best material to use and WHY.

I have a few items from them and they are combat capable- used a couple in Iraq and Afghanistan and currently here in the states for hunting and what not -including using the khukuri to chop wood, they hold an excellent edge, are better than most and are worth every cent.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Tearstone
Adventurer

Bump for thread necromancy

It's a horrible practice, I know, but there happens to be a lot of good ideas here.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

How much fuel would a forklift consume picking up and moving cars repeatedly? Would you be able to make it back by siphoning them?

The sound would also serve to draw out some of the lurking dead. I'd want to have someone covering the driver.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Tor wrote:How much fuel would a forklift consume picking up and moving cars repeatedly? Would you be able to make it back by siphoning them?

The sound would also serve to draw out some of the lurking dead. I'd want to have someone covering the driver.

I thought I would buy in and enter this thread, because I really like the premise. Assuming that we used the forklift model mentioned earlier (The Hyster H400HDS or the H450HDS, as mentioned in the hyperlinked brochure...), a fuel tank usually holds 75 gallons, which can last up to 24 hours. Since the Hyster forklift burns diesel, you will need an automobile graveyard with large amounts of diesel-burning vehicles to acquire fuel in situ (From local sources... and the fuel acquired must obviously be in good shape to be of some use as well.), or you will have to bring some with you. But as for the sound produced by the machinery, previous posts mentioned that the Hyster would be equipped with a fire team of sorts on top of the forklift to defend it, and the base camp could be fortified as well. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Tearstone
Adventurer

Tor wrote:How much fuel would a forklift consume picking up and moving cars repeatedly? Would you be able to make it back by siphoning them?

I believe most forklifts are powered by propane or compressed natural gas. I believe that they could also be converted to electric. Forklifts are not ideal but they are useful. Other vehicles are often employed.

You should also understand that for the group I'm talking about there are no less than 8 CavScout/Sniper/Designated Marksmen trained shooters surrounding the area, usually in concealed positions in ghillie suits, with suppressed weapons. They use said weapons to keep any curious zombies away, usually by force. These folks can reach out and touch a zombie from another zip code, even if the zombies were close enough to detect them with The Glow, it still wouldn't be an issue because of the factors of their concealment.

That's the outer security element. Inner security has at -minimum- a four-person fireteam/squad/group covering the work crew, while helping, but ready to deal with any biters at any time. First job combat, second job help.

That means, that at minimum there are no less than a dozen armed, trained, and experienced folks ready to put down Zack anytime he decides to raise up. This is also conducted after the group has run a bait team through the area. Usually a couple people on horseback making plenty of noise to bring out any dormant zombies. And like the pied piper, they tend to lead them away from the area. Or they may circle them along the perimeter, forming a shooting gallery and target practice for the troubleshooters posted in the area.

Desperado
D-Bee

Unread post by Desperado »

Am I the only one who sees the danger in this? As soon as you wake one zombie up (or one is already active), it will moan and wake all the others up. Get two dozen or more of them moaning for more than 30 seconds and every zombie within a mile is coming for you. Get more than 100 moaning, and that radius is two miles. Did you do enough recon to know how many zombies are within that distance? Can you handle them all? Is the loot from those cars worth the resources you will have to expend holding that position? This strategy gets rid of the threat from lurking zombies, but almost guarantees a convergence.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Desperado wrote:Am I the only one who sees the danger in this? As soon as you wake one zombie up (or one is already active), it will moan and wake all the others up. Get two dozen or more of them moaning for more than 30 seconds and every zombie within a mile is coming for you. Get more than 100 moaning, and that radius is two miles. Did you do enough recon to know how many zombies are within that distance? Can you handle them all? Is the loot from those cars worth the resources you will have to expend holding that position? This strategy gets rid of the threat from lurking zombies, but almost guarantees a convergence.

That's why graveyard clearing expeditions would lure the zombies out of the area on noisy transportation such as horseback. Of course that doesn't mean that they wouldn't cover their butts when doing so. Along the bait route there could be designated shooters in hides, who would pick off the zombies while they are on their way out of the area. Such would limit the effectiveness of the moan and give designated shooters good target practice, as stated before. Zombies lured by the moan would follow the moan as they move out of the area, so you would need to leave just enough of a moan to lure them. When the bulk of the zombies are out of the graveyard, people would remove vehicles one at a time to a somewhat remote area, clearing them once they are separate from the vehicle graveyard.

Personally, a graveyard clearing expedition would need to be larger in my eyes, with a platoon or company-sized unit to do so, not counting medical, technical, and other support personnel. I wouldn't set up an operation with less people trained to defend the operation. For example, removing a vehicle would require 2-4 trained personnel to clear it of undead threats, while squad-sized units would be placed in observation posts and patrol duties with a platoon-sized unit operating as a Quick Reaction Force (QRF) in case of an en masse threat. Graveyard clearing operations would entail that everyone, even the support personnel who are trained to appraise, inventory, and otherwise manage the salvage acquired among other duties, would be capable of defending themselves in the event of the emergency, as the world where the Dead Reign would require everyone to be able to do so. But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

A Boom Truck could be helpful in a situation like this. Lift the car right into the box and dive away. If there are zombies in the car then they are now contained in the box and your team can easily kill the now corralled rotters.

On the topic of forklifts, the propane ones are loud and will draw a lot of attention our electric one lasts a long time and is virtually silent. Also, I wouldn't drive the forklift back to base because that would be a waste (not to mention slow travel). I would drop the car(s) on one flat bed and drive the forklift up on to another flatbed.

As some other people already mentioned tow trucks would be a good idea, especially with all the advancements they've made to them. I caught a few minutes of Lizard Lick Towing the other night (never even heard of this show and that few minutes is all I've ever watched) and they have a repo truck version. They don't even need to get out, they back it up like you would to hook up a truck to a trailer and hit the button to raise it up and then drive off.

Comes in handy when people come flying out of their house going bananas because you are reclaiming their vehicle.
Desperado
D-Bee

Unread post by Desperado »

whassupman03 wrote:Hello...

Desperado wrote:Am I the only one who sees the danger in this? As soon as you wake one zombie up (or one is already active), it will moan and wake all the others up. Get two dozen or more of them moaning for more than 30 seconds and every zombie within a mile is coming for you. Get more than 100 moaning, and that radius is two miles. Did you do enough recon to know how many zombies are within that distance? Can you handle them all? Is the loot from those cars worth the resources you will have to expend holding that position? This strategy gets rid of the threat from lurking zombies, but almost guarantees a convergence.

That's why graveyard clearing expeditions would lure the zombies out of the area on noisy transportation such as horseback. Of course that doesn't mean that they wouldn't cover their butts when doing so. Along the bait route there could be designated shooters in hides, who would pick off the zombies while they are on their way out of the area. Such would limit the effectiveness of the moan and give designated shooters good target practice, as stated before. Zombies lured by the moan would follow the moan as they move out of the area, so you would need to leave just enough of a moan to lure them. When the bulk of the zombies are out of the graveyard, people would remove vehicles one at a time to a somewhat remote area, clearing them once they are separate from the vehicle graveyard.

Personally, a graveyard clearing expedition would need to be larger in my eyes, with a platoon or company-sized unit to do so, not counting medical, technical, and other support personnel. I wouldn't set up an operation with less people trained to defend the operation. For example, removing a vehicle would require 2-4 trained personnel to clear it of undead threats, while squad-sized units would be placed in observation posts and patrol duties with a platoon-sized unit operating as a Quick Reaction Force (QRF) in case of an en masse threat. Graveyard clearing operations would entail that everyone, even the support personnel who are trained to appraise, inventory, and otherwise manage the salvage acquired among other duties, would be capable of defending themselves in the event of the emergency, as the world where the Dead Reign would require everyone to be able to do so. But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

The problem is drawing out the zombies doesn't stop the convergence. In fact, by leading them a distance away, you've caused more zombies to hear the moan than if you gunned them down in place. Plus you'll have fewer troops to fight those converging zombies because you split them up.

My only other concern is where you get the forces. A community that can spare the equivalent of a fully equipped company without critically weakening their defenses would be a strong community indeed.

Ultimately, this is pretty much how I would clear a vehicle graveyard if I had to, but I think you'd expend more resources then you'd gain from scavenging the vehicles. If that's true, then you are still better off avoiding vehicle graveyards when you can.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

One plan that was thrown around in a planning session for another game was to use the Convergence to your advantage. If you have a fast horse you can purposefully trigger a convergance a mile or more away from where you want to do something. This will lure all the zombies to that location....like say....out of and away from the graveyard you want to clean up. Then you run away from the zombies. Once you break contact with them they will mill around...but they mill where they were, this isn't some MMO where aggroed monsters reset to their starting point when pulled.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

eliakon wrote:One plan that was thrown around in a planning session for another game was to use the Convergence to your advantage. If you have a fast horse you can purposefully trigger a convergance a mile or more away from where you want to do something. This will lure all the zombies to that location....like say....out of and away from the graveyard you want to clean up. Then you run away from the zombies. Once you break contact with them they will mill around...but they mill where they were, this isn't some MMO where aggroed monsters reset to their starting point when pulled.

Exactly. Using the convergence to your advantage is what I'm talking about. If you can get most or all of the zombies around away from your vehicle graveyard, you can make things much safer for the salvage operation and/or make it easier to clear it out as well. You can ruffle up some feathers with the zombies far enough away from the graveyard that you can keep them busy for a while. And you can also use the convergence to settle some scores and shoot or booby-trap some of the zombies from the high ground, keeping them in place for longer than they would if they learned that there wasn't much fresh meat around. That would allow you to lure the zombies away from the productive areas and reduce the zombie population one or more at a time by doing so. Of course in regards to the availability of survivors to engage in the operation; if your local safe haven doesn't have the manpower to establish a company-sized salvage operation, you could outsource some activities to other safe havens for a negotiated fair share of the salvage as well as the chance to build alliances and take on the zombie threat as well. But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

eliakon wrote:One plan that was thrown around in a planning session for another game was to use the Convergence to your advantage. If you have a fast horse you can purposefully trigger a convergance a mile or more away from where you want to do something. This will lure all the zombies to that location....like say....out of and away from the graveyard you want to clean up. Then you run away from the zombies. Once you break contact with them they will mill around...but they mill where they were, this isn't some MMO where aggroed monsters reset to their starting point when pulled.

LOL read as I am playing ffxi.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

SittingBull wrote:LOL read as I am playing ffxi.

Yeah, and you gotta remember that most zombies are not smart enough to return to their original hunting ground. If lured away, they will just rumble around where the lure left off, so one must be careful not to lure them to a populated area (And if they do so, they will be deemed worthy of the Darwin Award...). So lure them into a trap people! Make use of the opportunity to whip some zombie butt. But anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

With the moaning to call more zombies, yeah, this tactic could be used well especially in rural areas.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

SittingBull wrote:With the moaning to call more zombies, yeah, this tactic could be used well especially in rural areas.

Indeed. Luring the zombies into a rural, deserted area would be worthwhile, especially when considering the Zombie Moan and convergence, so it would definitely be a good way to clear a vehicle graveyard of its zombies. Still, there may be a number of stragglers stuck in the vehicles bound by their seat belts, collision damage and other restrictions, so you would definitely need to be cautious when clearing vehicles of threats. Essentially, if you don't have a large crew conducting the salvage operation, you could take it slow by clearing vehicles one by one using your clearing teams. But with larger numbers of the living working on the project, you could definitely speed up the process by clearing more than one vehicle at a time, assigning one of several clearing teams to each vehicle you clear. Fortunately, there are plenty of options when selecting your salvage crew, since with a pre-Wave population of nearly seven billion, you would have 20% to 30% of that when it comes to present day.

And while clearing a vehicle graveyard using a larger crew and more resources may yield less material benefits than the cost, it does have its redeeming values. Consider for your benefit a largish vehicle graveyard consisting of thousands of vehicles on an important roadway. Removing the zombies and afterward the worthwhile salvage may not pay for itself by providing resources, but it does allow you to clear a route of travel for people to freely cross large portions of territory. Of course in addition to this, it also removes an extensive zombie threat as well, and with both a clear route of travel and a large zombie threat removed from the region, salvage of more profitable resources and the following reconstruction may proceed. That's why you would want to cooperate with other survivors to lay traps for the lured zombies, so that you don't just deposit them in a deserted area, but destroy them as well. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Return to “Dead Reign™”