APS and Cybernetics

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jtjr26
Wanderer

APS and Cybernetics

Unread post by jtjr26 »

Hey all, just a quick question about what happens to cybernetics when someone is transformed by APS. I am roughing out the backstory for a character. The character is an agent of some government department with access to high-tech, including cybernetics for their operatives. The character is investigating a company doing illegal research in human modification and ends up transformed into APS Light. They transform into their light form and then back and pass out. They woke up in a hospital a few days later. Are the cybernetics still there?

I could not find any official rule about this one way or another. I guess since it's my story I can do what I want but is there a rule I am missing something. Trying to stay as close to the actual rules as possible.

Any insights would be helpful.

Cheers
taalismn
Priest

Re: APS and Cybernetics

Unread post by taalismn »

I'd say no. Unless you've got some complex explanation for the APS was caused that would copy the cybernetics as part of the person's original 'default' state(like, 'a super laser digitally scans the person and organizes them into light, and records the original state of the person'), I'd say that most transformation means(chemical, radiation, magic) would only act on the organic parts of a person's biology, and anything else would be ignored.*

So you might get to keep your cybernetics if you got zapped by ENCOM's laser, but not if you were blasted by the Cosmic Forge or Cosmic Cube.

*Another way around this might be to have the person's consciousness essentially separated from their body and made to direct a construct of APS Light, while their real body is stuffed somewhere in a coma. They aren' really transformed, they're just tele- operating a virtual construct of altered energy/matter or astrally projecting. This carries the risk of the person's real body being vulnerable to attack if they're unaware of where their sleeping body is, or unable to secure a safe place to stow it while they''re off in their APS form doing heroing.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

Absolutely None
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

No, because the cybernetics would fall out or be destroyed in the process of shifting. You would need some sort of device or ability that allows you to shift objects and clothing with you into what you are changing into in order to keep the cybernetics. APS powers by default just aren't written that way.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Maybe go with something like PU-3 power Bio-Aura? It says "Complex weapons and equipment, like firearms, energy weapons, electronics and mechanical devices do NOT change with the super being, but neither are they harmed by a transformation." so by the book you can argue it would still be there and work as long as the total weight is under 100 lbs. Or modify the power and have it let them transform if your GM wants to allow it.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
jtjr26
Wanderer

Unread post by jtjr26 »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Maybe go with something like PU-3 power Bio-Aura? It says "Complex weapons and equipment, like firearms, energy weapons, electronics and mechanical devices do NOT change with the super being, but neither are they harmed by a transformation." so by the book you can argue it would still be there and work as long as the total weight is under 100 lbs. Or modify the power and have it let them transform if your GM wants to allow it.

Daniel Stoker

Interesting I will look into that. Thanks

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”